Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaned my washer pump, it works now!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005 | 05:51 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Thumbs up Cleaned my washer pump, it works now!

My windshield washer pump has been out for a few months, quite an annoyance. Today I decided to check prices on new ones, ~$40... not bad but money I don't wanna spend. Was wondering if my pump was getting electricity and all that jazz, did the tests and the problem was indeed with the pump itself; no amount of power would spin it, it was almost completely seized.

Took it off the car, and started dissasembly. Not too hard, there were 4 bolts of an odd size, probably 5.5mm; which I didnt have so I fudged a standard socket on there. Once the motor was seperated from the pump by those bolts, I could see that there were also two metal tabs that had to be bent back to remove the magnet side of the motor. Once the tabs were bent back I tapped off the metal magnet housing with a screwdriver and hammer.

Everything inside was nasty and corroded, so I hit it all with some blasts of brake cleaner, followed by battery cleaner foam. Once everything was dry, reassembled it all and WHIRRRRR! The motor is working once again. Something you might want to try if your pump seems to be dead; despite power getting to it.
Old 03-27-2005 | 08:15 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Good post Patrick, I did this same thing a few weeks ago. My problem was that little pieces of the magnet had seperated and were jamming the mechanism. The thing I learned was the tapping it back together created more of the little pieces breakiing off of the magnets, so I had to do it twice. I got the squirter check valves from thepartsbin.com - and now my streams are strong again. Its good to take of the little things. Bruce...;]

Quick Reply: Cleaned my washer pump, it works now!