Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Elec Help Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 04:57 AM
PCMAX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Elec Help Wanted

Does anyone know how I can modify my early '85 car to make the low speed fan run whenever the ignition is ON/car is running.
I live in a warm/hot climate and the fans cycle on/off about 5-6 times on a daily 15KM commute in heavy traffic. Having the low speed fan run all the time would elininate this. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could do this do this.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:12 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goto your local auto parts store and get an adjustable fan controller and hook that up and you can just set the temps when you want to fan to come on.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:39 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Does your car have the older 3-blade fans? If so a swap out to the later 6-blade set up is a great improvement...runs less and is so much quiter. I did this to my 83 and feel it's one of the best things you can do to reduce the constant cycling of the older fan set up.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you turn on the AC, both fans should come on and stay on at high speed. The AC relay bypasses the thermo switch on the radiator. If you are not using the AC, then you can purchase a lower temp thermo switch for the radiator which should accomplish what you want. The low speed fan only runs with the ignition off if things are still hot enough at shutdown. I posted the schematic of the early 944 cooling wiring a month or two ago. A search should dig it up.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:43 PM
PCMAX
Racer

Iv'e considered the 6 blade fans and the lower temp thermo switch but these would only result in either the temp coming down faster once it gets hot or the fans coming on earlier or a combination of both. If I could make the slow speed fan run all the time the temp should stay in the low zone. The adjustable fan controller seems like a good idea though.
Surely some of you auto elec wizards can advise a wiring mod that will make the slow fan run when the ignition is on.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:48 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The different speeds that the later fans run at are controlled by the two element radiator temp switch, some hefty ballast resistors behind the glove box and the $150 extra large silver relay in the fuse box.

You could use the two element radiator temp switch and another early radiator relay with the later six blade dual fan set to turn one fan on at lower temps and the second as the temp climbs higher. I've been considering this.

In any case I strongly recommend getting a pair of the later six blade fans for your car. These have better motors in them with sealed bearings and conventional brush configurations.

However as was suggested above you could replace the stock fan(s) with a newer unit with several speeds. Just need to get the units temp sensor in the right place.

Quick Reply: Auto Elec Help Wanted