Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car cuts out for no reason?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005 | 10:24 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Default Car cuts out for no reason?

So my car decided to suddenly cut out twice today, once when starting from a stop and once right after stopping. The second time it would not start again for a couple minutes. It would just crank and crank, then one time I tried cranking it it started up without a problem.

I tried starting the car again 1-2 hours later to go home from dinner and the same thing happend. Cranking as if there's no spark or fuel, then working perfectly all of the sudden.

My thought is I bumped something I should not have this last weekend when I replaced the O2 sensor and the small fuel line on the fuel rail. Aside from today the car has been running great since then, better then ever with the new O2 sensor. Any ideas what I should take a look at on it?
Old 03-22-2005 | 10:27 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

I would check the DME relay..

P.S. There is a reason it cuts out you just have not found it yet
Old 03-22-2005 | 10:28 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

try wiggling the wires that plug together right next to where the o2 wires plug together. Those are the reference sensors. Mine had corrosion and would cause it to not start every once in a while, crank crank, then finally start. Next time it doesnt start right away, smack those wires and itll start. If so they need cleaned up. CAREFULLY>
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:28 AM
Danno
Race Director

Could also be the fuel-pressure. A bad FPR will increase fuel-pressure to the point where the injectors are locked and can't open to inject fuel. The pressure leaks out when the car's stopped.
Old 03-23-2005 | 01:30 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

i jiggled my 02 sensor plug around and never had a cutting out problem again. and no it wasn't because i touched the speed or reference sensors. i tried jiggling those forever and it never helped.
Old 03-23-2005 | 04:31 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skene
My thought is I bumped something I should not have this last weekend when I replaced the O2 sensor and the small fuel line on the fuel rail.
Check to see if you "bumped" the connectors for the speed reference and crank sensors. If you cracked one, you'll get these symptoms. I know I did while replacing the HCV on my 83.

Replacing the crank sensor solved the problem in my case. ($$$)
Old 03-23-2005 | 10:17 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think it's a touchy connection on one of the reference sensors. The car was sitting for an hour or two before cranking it, so it's not the FPR and I put in a spare DME relay before trying again and had no luck.

It started up shortly after I disconnected/reconnected the O2 sensor and generaly moved everything around back there. I guess I'll clean up the connections and make sure I didn't crack anything tonight.

Quick Reply: Car cuts out for no reason?