Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Wire the Airbag to get rid of the Light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 09:32 AM
smokey
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The contact looks identical to the one that was installed in my car with a Mono wheel when we replaced the air bag wheel. Mine was a VW Rabbit part, although I don't know the part number. I don't have pictures, but the "rod" fits through a hole in your original switch once you take the air bag part off the top. You can definitely use most of the old switch, and the horn actuator is the only new part you need. You need to make a wire connection from the new contact to the correct pin, as explained elsewhere in this thread. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I wouldn't worry about the part number if a VW Rabbit part will also fit.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:50 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I cannot find where the part goes through. It doesn't fit anywhere. I am making this into such a big deal, but I honestly can't find it.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:56 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

"Disclaimer: while this horn contact worked great in my 1990 S2 and my son's 1989 turbo, I've been told that not all model year cars have the proper little hour-glass shaped cutout in the multi-function switch faceplate... so be sure to check"

I have an 87, is this my problem?
Old 03-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

When I did mine, I had to drill a new hole in the multi-function assembly, in order to get that contact to sit properly.
I have pictures that describe this on my home PC. I'll post them when I get a chance.
-J
Old 03-24-2005, 05:07 PM
smokey
Pro

I have an '89, so it may be different. It sounds as if you need to drill the hole mentioned by Jon. Wish I had taken pictures..
Old 03-24-2005, 05:24 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon Moeller
When I did mine, I had to drill a new hole in the multi-function assembly, in order to get that contact to sit properly.
I have pictures that describe this on my home PC. I'll post them when I get a chance.
-J
Ah! Yes please!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:59 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Bump for the pic, please.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:11 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Bump.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:47 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

please, a little help. I am dying here.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:36 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

The hole that Tom Pultz was speaking of on his website is an hour-glass shaped hole & is in the black plastic base piece- the '89 turbo's had them- mine is one of two '88 Turbo S's that he is speaking of, that did NOT.... his S2 is either a 90 or 91, so, it could be that all 944's before 89 did NOT have this hole, but, IIRC, Tom said that he knew of other people w/earlier cars than '88's that had them....

I've been running around w/out a horn forever now... I'm sick of it- I unscrewed some of the bulbs from my console to keep warning lights from coming on- I'm now trying to rip the passenger side air bag out & this is a PITFA too.... planning to get back into the steering wheel soon to try to get the horn working- IF you are succesful, please let me know what you did....

On a simliar note- I have a spacer- my wheel is 20mm closer- I'm wanting a little more, but, the turn signal stalk is getting too far away- I'd have to remove my hand from the wheel to use it, if I went much further- it's GREAT for preventing my nuckles from activating the windshield washers though.... ;-) Anyway, I want to find a way to space the whole steering wheel console further out, just a little bit- maybe 15mm....? Any ideas? Any ideas on how to make the wheel NOT angle up so much....? I ALSO want rid of the AB warning label- would like cup-holders in there, like earlier cars, only deeper- early glove box backs do not fit later glove box doors.... so... unless someone comes up w/something, I'm stuck w/the ugly warning label too.... I'm wondering if I could get an early style glove box AND glove box back & use it in my car.... anyone know....? Seems weird that the boxes would be any different- unless the early cars were taller- they could not really be any deeper I don't think....? anyone...?

sorry for the sligt tangent.... still interested in getting the horn working though, so, hopefully i'm helping to keep this thread up till someone can help us both.... :-)
Old 03-26-2005, 04:08 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I think I am going to attempt to drill some holes. I am just afraid on where to do it.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:54 AM
runnin' on empty
Advanced

9fitty1 and Robby:

Found this after a little googling (might help a bit). 9fitty1, anychance of posting the part number on the part you pictured that you purchased from Ian; Pelican is having some difficulty in sourcing the 928-652-104-00 for me; maybe the VW part will be easier? TIA

"With all appropriate credit to post authors"
Horn Ring Wiper Adjustment

Just finished replacing the stationary horn wiper contact. Had to replace the entire headlight/wiper/cruise switch assembly (new~$130!) to get the new wiper contact.

I searched to find the correct distance to clamp the new assembly on the steering column. Couldn't find help in repair manual, list, etc. Hmmmmmm ?

The old wiper leaf contact was too close to the steering wheel ring conact. This allowed the ring to wear through the leaf contact near the attachment rivet and as a result the leaf contact was eventually severed and fell off.

The switch assembly clamp has enough adjustment range to be clamped too close (leaf contact will wear through at other than the appropriate contact point on the leaf) or too far away (no electrical contact) from the steering wheel ring contact.

Best way I found to adjust is to visually inspect the steering wheel horn ring and stationary leaf contact point by looking from the right side of the steering column. With the steering wheel installed, the steering wheel horn ring should just depress (and not flatten) the leaf contact at the raised "bump" part of the leaf.

The adjustment collar clamp nut of the switch assembly (8mm) can be easily reached at the bottom of the switch assembly in order to move the switch assembly in/out small amounts (+/- a few mm).

Yes, the old part broke off in traffic, horns stuck ON, had to pull the horn relay to silence horns !

Thought that the experience may be of interest to the list.

Beep,beep,

Tom Robertson
'84 928S U.S., 5spd.

I just went through a similar exercise with switches in converting my '90 944 S2 from the factory airbag wheel to the 968 CS 3-spoke wheel. In the process I successfully tracked down the part number for the horn contact, which just snaps into the airbag wheel switch... and voila, you have a non-airbag configuration. It should also work with any non airbag switch since 911s and 928s use the same switch for either configuration. For non airbag you snap in the horn contact... for airbag you attach the rotary airbag gizmo. The part number is 928-652-104-00 and it was less than $4.00 net cost :-)

I adjusted mine the same way you did it, but I applied a thin coat of Sil-Glyde to the horn ring and contact.

Tom Pultz
Redmond, Washington, USA - Pacific NW Region PCA
'90 944 S2 Coupe, Guards Red/Black
'89 944 Turbo, Guards Red/Linen - son Scott's

928 Tips Home Greg's Home
Old 03-27-2005, 09:43 AM
davearm
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default horn contact

Automobile Atlanta is where I got my horn contact. I am going to try to put it in today. I saw a thread somewhere, but can't find it now, but remember reading that if you solder a 4 ohm resistor in place of the rotary switch, it fools the computer into thinking the rotary switch is still there, there by switching off the airbag light. Haven't tried it yet.

Dave
Old 03-27-2005, 05:11 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I attempted somestuff today with NO success. I think I need to purchase the correct multi switch, and with no money, I don't know how this is going to happen, lol.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:12 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

ya see... this is what's driving me crazy.... getting rid of the light is easy.... it's making the horn work... the Momo wheel comes w/stuff for it, but, it will not work..... I can't even remember why- I've messed around w/this so many times in the past three years.... I just go so long w/out I forget it all... it's a headache waiting to happen.... I just want to find a way to space the whole wheel assembly out ~15mm & I'll forget about the horn until someone can make it work on an '88.... the 89's are dif than the 88 turbo S, as i've mentioned above.... anyway.... anyone know if it would be easy to space the whole assembly so that the turn signal stalk would move out too & stay it's correct relationship to the wheel? I have 20mm spacer, but, want more, & it will be too far away if I go more b/t the wheel & hub.... so, 20mm b/t wheel & hub & 15mm b/t hub & dash.... I'm wondering if a new bolt would be needed? Also.... what about tilting the wheel downward a touch... would this be possible....? I HATE Porsche for not making a better, lesser angle, or, better yet, an adj steering column, OR, best, adj steering column AND better relationship b/t pedals & wheel.... I'll stop now or i'll type a book.....

Quick Reply: How to Wire the Airbag to get rid of the Light?