Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question???? n/a 944 vs evo 8

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 03:38 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wells thats cause it is cheap compared to your audi. S4s run into the 50's now thats not at all cheap. i don't buy stuff to look good fortunately. the enzo even looks pretty funny, but it is bad *** in every respect. performance minded car people respect a car for what it can do, not what it looks like. i'm sure you purchased your S4 becuase it is a hell nice car, which of course it is. but i doubt you purchased it to autocross it a track it every weekend did you? i can do that with my evo and not worry about getting a rock chip and having to pay 1000 dollars to get it repaired. there are differences between the two, just like any two cars.

fishey, crankwalk is not a problem. the stock 4g63 in the evo is bulletproof. how much horse power do you want to see a dyno of? i'll send you charts of any level up to the 600hp range. my stock car dynoed at 209 at the wheels, and after a ecu tune, it was at 267 at the wheels on a mustang dyno. thats my only mod. i have the charts to prove it, and i video taped it to for those with really thick skulls.

the romours of mitsu searching the internet for names of people racing are a myth. however they do tend to void warrantees for very minor things. it all depends on where you bring it and who your service manager is.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I have seen lightly modded 951s just simply SMOKE Evos and STis at the track. I dont give a crap about 1/4 mile times where an AWD drive gains .5 seconds before they even move nor do I car about cone crushing.

I meant the car is not comforable to drive 8/10th because of the understeer. Having driven numerous AWD cars of the kind, I personally find them to feel VERY slow, have a ton of oversteer, and feel like they are at the limit long before they are. It takes a lot of time to get used to them on track.

Most of us cant stand by the car while they work on it, we are busy at work Even still after a few DSMs, a Might Max p/u, a 2001 Eclipse GT, a Stealth (3000GT) I can safely say that I dont trust Mitsu to fix a windshield wiper correctly. The DSMs were junk (though mine were VERY fast), the Mighty Max was bullet proof, and non DSM Eclipse was a pile like you wouldnt believe.

Im not saying the EVO isnt a great car, because it is a darn good one. The VISHNU modified car I drove last was very impressive. Then again, he had as much money in it as a 996 would have run.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin Dubois
wells thats cause it is cheap compared to your audi. S4s run into the 50's now thats not at all cheap. i don't buy stuff to look good fortunately. the enzo even looks pretty funny, but it is bad *** in every respect. performance minded car people respect a car for what it can do, not what it looks like. i'm sure you purchased your S4 becuase it is a hell nice car, which of course it is. but i doubt you purchased it to autocross it a track it every weekend did you? i can do that with my evo and not worry about getting a rock chip and having to pay 1000 dollars to get it repaired. there are differences between the two, just like any two cars.

I actually do plan to take my S4 to the track and I did not buy the car to "look good", In fact I find the S4 to be really boring to look at.
But the car has a good feel to it that lacks in the Evo.
I did not say the car looked cheap, I said it FELT cheap and there is a differance. I did not say the Evo was a bad car nor a poor performance car just it lacks the feel I like in a German car.
Also, you may want to cut down on th caffine
Old 03-22-2005, 04:11 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i like my cappucino every morning.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:19 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt H
Sorry, I have seen lightly modded 951s just simply SMOKE Evos and STis at the track. I dont give a crap about 1/4 mile times where an AWD drive gains .5 seconds before they even move nor do I car about cone crushing.

I meant the car is not comforable to drive 8/10th because of the understeer. Having driven numerous AWD cars of the kind, I personally find them to feel VERY slow, have a ton of oversteer, and feel like they are at the limit long before they are. It takes a lot of time to get used to them on track.

Most of us cant stand by the car while they work on it, we are busy at work Even still after a few DSMs, a Might Max p/u, a 2001 Eclipse GT, a Stealth (3000GT) I can safely say that I dont trust Mitsu to fix a windshield wiper correctly. The DSMs were junk (though mine were VERY fast), the Mighty Max was bullet proof, and non DSM Eclipse was a pile like you wouldnt believe.

Im not saying the EVO isnt a great car, because it is a darn good one. The VISHNU modified car I drove last was very impressive. Then again, he had as much money in it as a 996 would have run.

just like any comparision, track driving is strongly based on the driver. whereas drag strip anyone can press a gas pedal. you can more easily compare cars side by side with drag strip numbers then track times. track times are more of a comparision of driver ability. having owned both the evo and a modifed 944 turbo, the evo handles much better, and is much faster from lower speeds. this is based off the same driver driving both cars. comparing a 944 turbo and someone else at a drivers ed event in an evo getting passed by everyone is not a good comparision. i have a video i will link up for you guys to watch. it is a good one also, i'm not denying the fact that the 944 can be a fast car, it just needs some updating to get to that point. i'm sure if i had spent 3 grand on new coilovers and sway bars it would have handled much better. and maybe some bigger wider wheels/tires would have fixed the traction problems i had. but i was ready for a reliable car i could drive daily without having to worry what is going to go wrong next and cost me an arm and a leg.

agreed on the at work thing. it is hard to bring a car in when your at work from 7:30 till 5 everyday. fortunately i have every other friday off and can bring it in then which is what i do. if it comes to any modifications, i don't trust anyone but myself. i'll let the dealer deal with anything that is free (including my oil changes, which are also free ) but thats it. so far after 10k miles, the only thing it has been in for is the free checkups with oil changes. and one alignment.

top gear video, evo vs lambo
Old 03-22-2005, 04:27 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Also, you may want to cut down on th caffine
it's not the caffine that makes my typing horrible and my responses jumpy and aggressive. heck, i don't even drink coffee or pop. it is the lack of sleep staying up late every night working on the UTA formula SAE race car and then having to get up early and work at a computer for 10 hours
Old 03-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Good thing Kevin didn't buy a mullet!!

And what is that crack about ugly pontiac?
Originally Posted by tomrc
Also I think the styling is ugly, more Pontiac ugly than Pontiac.
I should be offended, but my new pontiac was designed by holden, and everybody likes the looks of my old pontiac so all is peaceful in shan-gri-lah.

Last edited by Tom R.; 03-22-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well. 944 arent really the best cars for auto-x'ing.
they have to much weight at both ends. not good for changing directions quickly.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sorry but 209whp stock is pretty laughable for a car rated at 270hp...
Old 03-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHA.....HA......ha.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:39 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

That's only 22.6% driveline loss. In an all-wheel-drive car, with the complications and extra bits that entails, it does not seem too out of line. Just my opinion.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesnt seem out of line but It just goes to show you that AWD sucks up power like crazy (There are a few systems that are around 16/18% loss)
Old 03-22-2005, 05:50 PM
chilix
Instructor

my buddy has a 2004 evo...it is fast...the money he puts into that "new" car to maintain it because things always break...i like my old 944 just fine...it is easier to drive a fast car fast but to drive a slow car fast on the race track is a whole other story...
Old 03-22-2005, 06:08 PM
tomrc
Pro

No offense on the Pontiac comment but I think most agree that the 90's were a low in the Pontiac styling department, 80's weren't great either. Thank goodness Pontiac had the forsight to have the GTO styled out of house.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:36 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

209 was pretty low. i agree, and so did most of the other evo guys at our dyno weekend. in fact it was a good 10hp lower then any of the others. the highest stock evo dynoed at 240ish i think (which was the highest the tuner had ever seen out of a stock car). fortunately the tune brought some life back into it. the nice thing about the evo is it responds well to mods. a TBE will add a good 20+hp and cams will do the same. MBC, cams, exhaust and tune put one of my buddies at 330 at the wheels. not bad.

Quick Reply: question???? n/a 944 vs evo 8