Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question???? n/a 944 vs evo 8

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 06:41 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, Tom R. don't take it personally what tomrc said. some people just don't have any taste in cars (ohhhh burnnnnn!!!!!) (j/k tomrc...). personally i would take a WS6 if someone offered one to me. my friend has one and it is pretty sweet. makes me want to put a 350 in a 944 now.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:02 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Heh Heh..we got a WS6 for free

....SURE it didn't have the engine or tranny left but STILL
Old 03-22-2005, 08:29 PM
tomrc
Pro

Can't say anything good about the styling of the EVO though...ooooofa! what were they thinking?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tomrc
No offense on the Pontiac comment but I think most agree that the 90's were a low in the Pontiac styling department, 80's weren't great either. Thank goodness Pontiac had the forsight to have the GTO styled out of house.
When I got the Z28 aka theon this board to replace the stolen S2 I passed on a less expensive Firebird. I couldn't stand the thought of looking at that hideous design parked in front of my house. I think GM went overboard with the body cladding. Were they trying to make every car look like Kit.

I took the spoiler off my GTO (and put it on the 944, pics to come soon) and I think it looks much better without it. Holden did a good job designing the GTO, I'm glad the pontiac guys didnt get to do much to it.

It is funny how this thread and threads like this https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...6&page=1&pp=40 say the same thing.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
When I got the Z28 aka theon this board to replace the stolen S2 I passed on a less expensive Firebird. I couldn't stand the thought of looking at that hideous design parked in front of my house. I think GM went overboard with the body cladding. Were they trying to make every car look like Kit.

I took the spoiler off my GTO (and put it on the 944, pics to come soon) and I think it looks much better without it. Holden did a good job designing the GTO, I'm glad the pontiac guys didnt get to do much to it.

It is funny how this thread and threads like this https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...6&page=1&pp=40 say the same thing.

I like the Holden but I don't have the same feeling for the GTO. I wish they would have just brought it over as a "Holden" and forgot about trying to make it something its not!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:46 PM
ferkel
Intermediate

How much boost to make 209 at the wheels?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:28 AM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Well, back to the question...

Handling. N/A 944 vs Evo VIII.

Stock vs Stock? IMHO, the 944 *handles* better. The Evo *grips* better. Two different things.

But being the 944 is almost 20 years older, I think a more accurate comparison would be to update the suspension and tires on the 944. Assuming 16's and modern-day rubber, with a tight suspension similar to the Evo...the 944 wins.

That's my bet.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:02 AM
kevin Dubois
Racer

find someone with upgraded suspension and i'll give it a go hell give them tires similiar to mine to give them the same "grip" as i have.

hmm evo: rally bred suspension. 4 time WRC championship winning car, road race proven all over the world. not your typical ricer if you ask me.

did anyone watch the video i linked up there? if not, download it and watch it. it will give you an idea of what the evo can do. one fingered power sliding, drifting, and it takes a lambo murcealago (sp?) on the track. it's times are faster then many supercars on there course.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:33 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fishey
I am sorry but 209whp stock is pretty laughable for a car rated at 270hp...
Why don't you put a 944/951 on a Mustang dyno and I bet you are starting to cry , hell , put it on a MAHA and you probably pass out. My guess is that you like to see the inaccurate , boost spike induced, " magic correction factor " ten second super optimistic dynojet run which is only good for internet forum bragging. The only thing it is good for is to compare before and after mods , not true hp numbers.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
Why don't you put a 944/951 on a Mustang dyno and I bet you are starting to cry , hell , put it on a MAHA and you probably pass out. My guess is that you like to see the inaccurate , boost spike induced, " magic correction factor " ten second super optimistic dynojet run which is only good for internet forum bragging. The only thing it is good for is to compare before and after mods , not true hp numbers.

Its been on a mustang dyno at raceline in Cincy, OH and I didn't cry the numbers were good but the numbers will still remain a secret
Old 03-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me, personally, I want better for myself. Enough is never enough for me, if you know what I mean. The Evo is a great performing car for the money, but there is more to it than that for me. I have driven several Evo's, considered buying one, etc but decided against it. For $30k, I could have had a halfway decent 993, nice 964, 930, or 951/S highly modded. I decided the 951 route for now, as it's the cheapest on my list. If I cared about going fast for cheap, I'd buy a Camaro or Mustang. I was looking for something that was more the complete "package". For being as old as the 951 is, it's an amazing bargain for what you get. I don't think anyone can really argue that the Evo 8 isn't better in most performance aspects than a stock 944 turbo/S, but that should be expected for an almost 20yr age difference.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:53 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

i would agree with you porschefile. the 951 is certainly a great deal for the money it costs to buy one up front. it handles well, it certain is fast, and it does look pretty good for an 80's car. however, after my expereince, i found that i really needed something more practical (4 spacious seats and a good sized trunk), something that i didn't have to question if it would run when i go to start it. AWD was a choice because living in michigan i wanted something that would be practical as a year round car as well (something the porsche certainly wasn't). fortunately down here in texas i don't even have to question the ability of the car.

in addition to that i considered aftermarket support for the car, and routine maintance. the porsche was outragiously expensive to upgrade compared to the evo (700 dollars for a MAF kit???? 600 for a cat back exhaust???), and the routine maintance without me doing it myself would have been out of my reach. i couldn't even imagine owning a 993 or 911 variant to keep running. the thing about the new car is i don't have to worry about anything going wrong. it will get fixed for free.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:59 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Kevin, who bought your 951?
Old 03-23-2005, 05:02 PM
AZS2
Racer

Originally Posted by Z-man
For $30k, I'll take a used 993 or 996 or even a Boxster over an Evo / STi any day.

My $0.42,
-Z.
I agree wholeheartedly. I mean the evo has 4 doors and its made by a company that makes TV's. The STI, I can't swing a dead cat without hitting an STI anymore. No thanks...

BTW just say no to big ugly wings.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
I like the Holden but I don't have the same feeling for the GTO. I wish they would have just brought it over as a "Holden" and forgot about trying to make it something its not!
Does that mean my purchase doesn't get your blessing?

If they brought it over as a Holden, who would service it? Who would sell it? Should they have set up a new network for the 15,000 cars a year they planned to import.

Remember the Merkur? Great Brazilian castings for the motor, great turbos, not great looks. Now an orphan.

Quick Reply: question???? n/a 944 vs evo 8