Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question???? n/a 944 vs evo 8

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:26 AM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

so who paid out? the Dealership?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like all AWD cars they understeer like mad, are not terribly comfortable until you get used to it, and have incredible launch feel.

Like ALL Mitsu's the Evo has crappy build quality, even crappier dealer network, and you can rest assured when you do have it in for service someone is "test driving" it as often as possible. Still they look COOL!

For the record a midly modified (read chipped running 17psi) 951 trashes a stock Evo.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:53 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I've also read in Grassroots Motorsports that the Evo records your driving history, and if there is evidence of performance driving (autocrossing, DE's, fast street driving) Mitsu will void the warrantee.

I can understand that to a point, but at the same time, if yer gonna market and sell it as a performance car...

BB.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:17 PM
85Nine4Four
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is rediculous, does it moniter accelerations and such? what if you just drive on the highway a lot? How can they tell if you have been auto-xing. Wouldnt that appear the same as the occasional high rev power ride around a backroad, which if mitsu thinks ANY owner paying for the evo wont do from time to time, they are off their rocker!
Old 03-22-2005, 12:19 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

From a purely cost-benefit analysis, the 944 smokes the EVO.
For what you pay for the EVO you could have 2 or 3 944s, and they are all PORSCHEs!
Old 03-22-2005, 12:20 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PeteL
From a purely cost-benefit analysis, the 944 smokes the EVO.
For what you pay for the EVO you could have 2 or 3 944s, and they are all PORSCHEs!
Or, take one 951, dump the difference in it, and smoke the EVO in every way, shape, and form.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:28 PM
ttwitc9516
Advanced

Very nearly every car with a computer will record at least some driving history, consequently "adaptive transmission shifting" and the like. They don't do it to deny warranty claims, but some idiot shifting at 300 over redline every shift is obviously going to kill his warranty. I've worked at four different dealerships and its been my observation that a warranty is only as good as your service manager. Shouldn't be that subjective, but that's how it works. Ironically, contrary to the other posts, the most liberal (helpful) service manager I've worked with is at the Mitsubishi dealership I'm at now. If you have a Ford or Chevy in this area you're about out of luck.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:55 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt H
Like all AWD cars they understeer like mad, are not terribly comfortable until you get used to it, and have incredible launch feel.

Like ALL Mitsu's the Evo has crappy build quality, even crappier dealer network, and you can rest assured when you do have it in for service someone is "test driving" it as often as possible. Still they look COOL!

For the record a midly modified (read chipped running 17psi) 951 trashes a stock Evo.
haha... being an owner of both a modified 944 turbo (chipped, plus many extras) and an evo, i can say that the steering response of the evo is light years ahead of the porsche. it does understeer a bit, but increasing rear tire pressures fix that problem in autocrossing. the comfort thing is questionable to some because it is very stiffly sprung, however, the seats are sooooo comfortable it goes as more comfortable then my porsche ever was in my book.

the build quality is also a questionable thing. yes my evo has a few interior noises that a new BMW wont have, but i sacrificed interior quality for performance when i was car shopping.

the key to the dealer thing is to stand there and watch them work on the car. this is really not an issue, and something i would be equally worried about with a new porsche at the dealer.

last, a mildly modifed porsche will not smoke an evo. a mildly modied 944 turbo will struggle to get into the 13's in the 1/4, and certainly have very difficult time getting into the 12's. the evo stock can pull mid 13's in the 1/4 and slightly modified( tune and exhaust) will be in the 12's. with just 2000 in engine mods my friends evo will be in the 11's once he gets a chance to run again (360hp at the wheels). my porsche running 18 psi of boost ran a 14.3 in the 1/4 with blowing an intercooler pipe off about 7/8 of the way down the track. i think it would have been high 13's but i didn't want to try again. as for autocrossing? the 944 was a POS. turbo lag is a bitch, and traction was always an issue. it either understeered like usual, or with a little extra throttle, it would oversteer like crazy. the tires were much to small for autocrossing at a competitive level. additionally suspension lacked in every respect for driving like that. the one time i had it on the track, it did shine, but i am about to see how the evo fairs next monday.

so once again, a chipped 944 turbo will not trash a stock evo. only above 100 will this be true. and if you want proof, i'll video tape me racing my old car for you on highway runs, dead stops, track day, and an autocross. my friend bought my car and we wanted to find out anyway.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:02 PM
tomrc
Pro

We have a guy at our local autoX that drives an EVO, he changes his name so it won't show up on our database and Mitsunazis don't track him down and void his warranty.

That's sad, not that I'd ever buy a mitsu, but it seems to be becoming a trend among manufacturers. Also I think the styling is ugly, more Pontiac ugly than Pontiac.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:03 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Originally Posted by iloveporsches
Or, take one 951, dump the difference in it, and smoke the EVO in every way, shape, and form.

this is true too, but you can do the same thing with a honda civic for the cost of the 944 turbo without the mods
Old 03-22-2005, 01:11 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

TomRC,

People have been doing those kind of things for years. I know that back in the 60's with the Ford Mustang GT 350, they were showroom stockers, people would show up at Hertz and rent one and take it to the track for the day. Eventually the rental agency caught on and stopped renting them. Pretty funny actually. I think that woulda been fun. Just don't get it too banged up.

Michael
Old 03-22-2005, 02:20 PM
tomrc
Pro

I really have no problem with the rental car companies doing what they do, after all they own the cars and if you don't like the way they do business then take it elsewhere. As long as they openly tell you their policies prior to renting. That however doesn't explain how Mitsu or other car companies can sell you a car with the EVO's potential and then turn around and say "Well if you use it as designed we will void your warranty" why bother building it then?. Just design a boyracer, throw a 1.6 liter in and be done with it.

It used to be that manufacturers had to prove that your actions or modifications cause a part to fail before they could void your warranty, now they void it if they think you might break something.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone seen evo dynos? Also from what I am hearing the problems of crankwalk on the 4g63 might not yet be solved thats no good...,
Old 03-22-2005, 03:07 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Nine4Four
that is rediculous, does it moniter accelerations and such? what if you just drive on the highway a lot? How can they tell if you have been auto-xing. Wouldnt that appear the same as the occasional high rev power ride around a backroad, which if mitsu thinks ANY owner paying for the evo wont do from time to time, they are off their rocker!
I don't remember exactly what the article said... it's been a long time since I read it. There was talk of internet research, too, so if they thought you might have done something they start searching for your name in results online. If they find it, you get voided.

There are also reports of Mitsu actively searching on their own among the names of owners, but they officially deny that.

And that's about what the magazine said. Dunno if it's true or not, I'm just passing it along...

BB.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Flame me if you must but I have driven the Evo and for that matter the STI and compared to a Porsche or even my Audi they just feel and look...cheap....

Quick Reply: question???? n/a 944 vs evo 8