Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank front seal woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 01:58 AM
a.n.other
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank front seal woes

Hi,

I'm trying to do a front end reseal on the 944 and the crankshaft woodruff key is causing me a great deal of bother - so much so, I'm having thoughts that it is welded on. I've got the smaller, square ended ones out of the balance shafts easily, but this larger, round ended one on the crank is proving more difficult. Does anyone have any golden tips to help me out?
Also PET shows there are a number of different sizes - why?

Also, where is the best place to get a cheesehead bit for the cam gear? - my rubbish Lisle one is stripped, so I figure I ought to splash out and get a decent one, or else drill it off.

Hopefully someone will help me get my car and associated bits out of my friends garage!!
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2005, 02:09 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always used a pair of bevel side cutters (wire cutters), grab ahold of front of key with cutters down against the crank flat, squeeze the cutters, and pry the key upward. Always worked for me. Clean up the key with a flat file, or better yet replace it. All these keys are half moon "woodruff" keys. Good luck!

Last edited by Granite 944; 03-21-2005 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:14 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Get the tripple square bit from Snap-on, here.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:50 AM
FletchDM
Instructor

Just to be clear, the woodruff key on the crankshaft is NOT a half-moon type. Perhaps that, technically, makes it something other than a woodruff key. Anyway, tapping on one end will generally not make it come out, as it would with the crescent-shaped woodruff keys on the balance shafts. Side cutters, vice grips, channel locks, etc. are the tools to try.

Good luck, mine was stuck too...
-David
Old 03-21-2005, 04:04 AM
a.n.other
Instructor

Originally Posted by FletchDM
Just to be clear, the woodruff key on the crankshaft is NOT a half-moon type. Perhaps that, technically, makes it something other than a woodruff key. Anyway, tapping on one end will generally not make it come out, as it would with the crescent-shaped woodruff keys on the balance shafts. Side cutters, vice grips, channel locks, etc. are the tools to try.

-David
So is the crankshaft a square edged key kind so like it could go in upside as easy as the right way up? And do you have to pull on it straight up with side cutters/vice grips to get it out? I'm just trying to get a picture of what it looks like. I may buy another one from the dealer just to see what I'm battling with.

Thanks for the Snap-On link shmucklebuckle - but what stores can you actually buy snap-on (in a hurry!)?

Thanks for all the useful info!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:59 AM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the key can be stubborn.
tap on the front of it with a wood chisel to pop the front out.
the taper on the chisel blade will direct the force up on an angle and lift the key.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FletchDM

-David

OOPPS! Your right Dave. The crankshaft key IS a straight cut key. My mistake, I don't know where I got that.

Side cutters is still the thing I use. Using a chisel, I'll almost always damage the key more, getting it out.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:03 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

always a good idea to have new keys on hand for both balance shafts, cam shaft and crank.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are gentle with the chisel, it won't damage the key any more than a little filing would fix. The side cutter thing works too. It helps to soak the area with PB Blast for a while before you start. If you have a replacement, then all the better.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Zero10
Race Car

I usually use a sharp screwdriver hammered into the front edge of it, tends to lift it out very effectively.
I've had one stuck so badly that side cutters wouldn't take it out, the screwdriver took it out.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same principle as a wood chisel. One tip here, when you have to use force of any type to get the key out, you might leave a small burr on the crank nose. Be sure to check for any rough spots before sliding the new seal back on the crank. If you don't and there is a burr, you'll nick your new seal and will develop a leak in short order.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:40 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Indeed;

I have had them stuck as well. The keyway in the crank is FLAT bottomed, not round like the balance shafts. I've used a very sharp chisel tapped into the vertical leading edge of the key to create a small notch that can be used for leverage. If you are careful it will work out just fine. If you mark the key up a bit, you can simply dress any burrs down with a file.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:04 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Side cutter has always worked for me. Get a bite in the back third of the jaw and leverage the handles down using the front of the crank as your piviot. Because you are biting both sides there is less of a tendency to butt the key into the back of the flat keyway.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:46 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Some pretty smart guys around here...;] Bruce

Old 03-22-2005, 03:47 PM
timo944
Instructor

I had to take a hack saw and cut a groove in the front of the key, only about 1/16" deep. Then I could get in there with a small hammer and a screwdriver and pop it up.

Buy yourself a couple - they're cheap!

Quick Reply: Crank front seal woes