Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! S2 Chip Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005 | 11:00 PM
Credit_Card_Guy
Advanced

Default Help! S2 Chip Install

Hey guys need some help. Just got my S2 chip from Erik in Chicago and I thought this would be a simple install, just like my 87 944 n/a was. Well I was wrong! The DME board is different and I can not figure how to get the two boards apart. Can someone give me a little help here?
Old 03-18-2005 | 11:15 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

I may have the instructions from mine, P.M. me if you have a fax number, I'll see....
Old 03-18-2005 | 11:28 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

i have put chips in all three of my 944s (n/a, turbo, and S). the S DME is a little weird and if yours is like mine, i believe there is a release pin inside the connector that you have to release. sorry, it's been over two years since i did that.

EDIT - here's a link that shows exactly how to change the S2 chip.
Old 03-18-2005 | 11:43 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Hey Kevin,
It is kind of tricky, it took me about an hour to figure it out even with the help of rennlist and www.clarks-garage.com

Once you get the alum cover off, I think you have a couple of screws in the corners that hold the 2 boards together. Once you have them out there should be some free play between the 2 boards towards the rear of the board (oppsite side from the connector) There are 3 clips that are on the top, inside of the multi pin connector (the part you unpluged from the wire harness in the car) There are 2 pressure clips on each end , towards the top and one in the middle. Press these in and slide the top board away from you and lift up from the rear of the board. the top board will slide out and you can now access the chip to be replaced. The chip you want to pull is under a a cover on the board. make sure you see which way the V in the chip is pointing and put the new chip in the same way.
Old 03-19-2005 | 02:29 AM
Credit_Card_Guy
Advanced

Thanks guys! All finaly came apart and went back together fine. The three screwdriver thing while pulling apart was a little tricky to say the least. Thanks for the link Joseph, not sure I would have got it with out that.

Eric -- I will let you know how it drives tomorrow, but it started up just fine tonight!

Thanks again guys.
Old 03-19-2005 | 04:52 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Credit_Card_Guy
I will let you know how it drives tomorrow, but it started up just fine tonight!
I know that was a great relief for you! Last year, when I installed a chip in my S2, the car did not start afterwards... I was so afraid that I had damaged my ECU. It ended up being a faulty chip, thankfully!

I hope your test drive goes well.
Old 03-19-2005 | 04:57 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

For future reference, I think Tom B's site "944S2 Central" has pics somewhere...

Try here.
Old 03-19-2005 | 09:27 AM
Credit_Card_Guy
Advanced

Well guys -- Test drive went really well this moring! What a difference, the car runs much smoother throught the powerband. The Torque delivery is much smoother and consistant, not to mention the idle even seems to be smoothe.

Thanks Eric for helping me believe in e-commerce again. I am always nervous with internet purchases, you made this simple and clean.

Thanks everyone else for the great install advice. Could not have done it without you guys.
Old 03-19-2005 | 10:59 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Helpful thread! My chip is on its way! I decided to push my couple mods i had planned aside since it had gotten sooooooo cold. Well, its warm again... so that means mod and dyno time! Details coming soon!
Old 03-19-2005 | 11:13 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

funny story - the first time i installed a chip in my 88 n/a, i was so afraid of damaging the pins i apparently didn't push it down far enough. a week or so later the car started stumbling while driving and eventually stopped altogether. i had it towed to my shop terrified, only to find out the chip had actually wiggled free and was not even inserted.

i guess i can laugh about it now.

Quick Reply: Help! S2 Chip Install