Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAMN IT!! MD Emissions Testing !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 03:25 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You only have to do this every 4 or 5 years and you're bitching! Jeeze - don't move to Texas. In the "cities" this is an annual right of passage. Mine's due up next month and I've only driven the car three or four times in the last year.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:30 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed Illinois' test last spring with a bad 02 sensor and a hole in the exhaust. It was just as you described, with the dyno rollers they test on. Luckily the guy who did mine knew what he was doing and didn't almost destroy my car
Old 03-14-2005, 03:37 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by icat
You only have to do this every 4 or 5 years and you're bitching! Jeeze - don't move to Texas. In the "cities" this is an annual right of passage. Mine's due up next month and I've only driven the car three or four times in the last year.
Annual for me too. Costs $25 too or something. We also get the dyno roller treatment, im not looking forward to that since I cant drive the car.

Oh well, ill have the Zeitronix and SMT6 installed. If I fail maybe ill just pull into the parking lot, make some tuning changes, and get back in line

Edit: And the dyno thing here is a whole big thing they do, acceleration, cruising, etc etc. Takes like 5 minutes for old cars. I hear for newer cars theres a whole big thing where they bring it up to 60MPH+ and all kinds of stuff.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike is right, the Annapolis station is the place to go. They are used to Porsche's and should treat you right.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

HAHA, no way! MD is mandatory every other year! I thought they forgot about me because the car hasnt taken an emissions test in like 4 years!
Old 03-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah...annual in Colorado too...on that note, ****...mines comin up....
Old 03-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In VA, you can't renew your registration every second year unless you've passed emissions. The emissions computer is linked to the DMV, so it's automatically notified if you passed or not. The shop also gives you an official printout of your emissions numbers vs. the max allowable. All 2 wheel drive cars get the dyno printout - quattros and full-time 4wd like Grand Cherokees, etc. get just the tailpipe test.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:58 PM
icat
Race Car

Originally Posted by theedge
Oh well, ill have the Zeitronix and SMT6 installed. If I fail maybe ill just pull into the parking lot, make some tuning changes, and get back in line
Heck with that, bring the gang and we'll do some real Dyno runs!
Oh, BTW - it's $39.50 a year here. If they'd give a HP rating I might be inclined to go as high as $42.50.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:38 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have had the tests in MD and in VA both. On the 2000 Corolla in MD (Gaithersberg) they just plugged it in to the computer, litterally into the harness or testing cable, checked the gas cap to make sure it would hold pressure and I was out of there in all of 5 or 10 min. In VA for the F150 it got the dyno for safety inspection and the "plug" for emissions.

Previous car was an 85 Pathfinder that got the dyno in VA and in MD.

When it is time to take the P-Car in (some day) It will be interesting, or, just maybe keep it hidd'n in my garage for 2 more years and then she's 25! No more testing! Yippie!

"Certain motor vehicles are exempted from emissions inspections. This includes: Any gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicle with a model year that is more than 25 model years old."

Michael
Old 03-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Intersting sub-plot. Doesn't necessarily apply to our cars, but I think for model year 1992 and beyond (or thereabouts) you can pass all of the tailpipe tests, but still fail emissions if the plug test into the OBD2 port indicates that there is a fault code such as a faulty O2 sensor or other emission related problem.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Though im sure passing emissions in NYS isnt as bad in say, Cali...its still a fairly annoying time of year. Emissions inspections are due every year and they put your car on the dyno to get it up to speed. It was a real pain in the butt to get my 924S to pass.

Which reminds me, the inspection on my 944 is up the 21st of next month.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:49 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I wouldn't sweat it. I hear that our cars will pass the sniff-test without a cat. Even if that's not true, so long as the car runs fine there shouldn't be any problems. Just make sure you gave it a nice workout on your way to the emissions station so it's nice and hot.

But then, I still sweat bullets every emissions test anyway...

BB.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I HATE the feeling sitting there waiting for it to come back, waiting to hear, you fail.. praying to hear, you pass pay up. It's every 2 years here.. .took 3 tries for the porsche, exhaust coming out between each of them, finally got lucky on the last try...

Already had one try with the range rover but failed because they don't trust the structure because we welded a couple body mounts to strengthen them.. phhhhtt.

Quick Reply: DAMN IT!! MD Emissions Testing !!!!!!