Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 '83, a lot of problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 10:40 AM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 944 '83, a lot of problems

Hi together,

again me, but things are getting worse and I want to make sure that my plan sounds good:

1. If engine is cold, my car starts fine, when warm not so good, when hot bad
2. I have some strange oil/fuel fluid in the J-Boot
3. I have gas in the oil
4. When I park on not even lots my car hates to start independet from the temperature.
5. It got worse this weekend when I was driving a little on the Interstate (100mi), after it it was really bad and the car did not like to start anymore.

Now some questions:

I want to replace the fuel pressure regulator (FPR), by checking the vacuum hose that's going there, it is completely dry, is this correct or shouldn't there be some oil in it?

Then I checked the manual at Clark's Garage (thanks a lot man) but when I tried to remove the FPR there were a lot of scews so that I think I have to unmount the FPR and this other same looking thing, but there are a lot of hoses and what I knew in my car these thinks like to break, so I want to touch as little as possible.

Now comes my plan:
I want to replace the FPR and the fuel pump, because I think it does not deliver enough when parking on steep lots. And in addition I plan now to replace the fuel injectors to make sure to get the leaking one (I think I have at least one) and when I have to get the pressure from the fuel lines I only want to do it once.
And then for sure replace the oil and clean the J-Boot (again :-( ).

So, do you have any remarks or does this plan sound good or are there any other things. And I would be very happy (even if there is Clark's Garage (is more for profis not for me) for any detailed help or walkthrough for the things I am planning to do.

Thank you very much

Thomas
Old 03-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thomas, it sounds like you want to work on your fuel rail -replace injectors and FPR.

Replacing the FPR on the 83 is a pretty straightforward task. To depressurize the fuel system, just start the car and pull the No. 2 fuse until the engine dies out. Then place a rag underneath the FPR and follow the instructions in Clark's Garage.

I haven't removed the fuel rail before, but it's probably something within your reach as an amateur mechanic. You can also follow the explanations in the Hayne's Manual, which are illustrated.

As for your other issues, it sounds to me as though you need to go over all the vacuum hoses in this car. Some may be cracked or even disconnected. I had one disconnected for a long time that was killing my fuel mileage. Replaced it together with the FPR and a new single-wire Bosch oxygen "lambda" sensor, and my fuel mileage improved considerably.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:06 PM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

Default Thanks

Yep,

I forgot that I also ordered a Lamda sensor that I want to replace. The MPG is still quite good, I can make it around 350 to 450 mi with a tank so it can't be that much.

Thanks for the depressuring, I read it also at clarks Garage. I plan to first replace the fuel pump, then the injectors and then the FPR. Then I have to depressurize it only once and hopefully I get all of the fuel out of the lines when I remove the fuel pump.

The only fear that I have is, that everything is so old in this car, that looking at it from the wrong angle breaks it. I had these problems now several times, I slightly moved a hose and had two pieces. But I can't replace all of them, because first I don't have so good tools here and second some are not accessible by me, so I try to touch as few as possible, but what I can, I will replace.

Thanks

Thomas
Old 03-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sonnenschein987
The only fear that I have is, that everything is so old in this car, that looking at it from the wrong angle breaks it. I had these problems now several times, I slightly moved a hose and had two pieces.
That's called collateral damage!

If you're really concerned about breaking things, whatever you do DON'T lean on the speed reference sensor connectors at the back of the engine. I did when replacing a $20 heater control valve and ended up having to buy a very expensive ($100+) new reference sensor and a few tools to put it in.

As for the hoses, you can buy generic vacuum hose for several of the applications in the 83. In the later cars, the engine space is more cramped and you'll need more factory hoses. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2005, 04:11 PM
father2nate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sonnenschein987 - where are you located?
Old 03-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since your planning on replacing the fuel pump, it would be a real good idea to replace that fuel filter, and I would suggest also removing and checking that Purulator fuel screen that screws into the bottom of the fuel tank. Those screens can get awful ugly, and nasty after all this time if not looked at before. Of course, you'll have to drain the tank completly first. If you have access to a fuel pressure tester, it would give ya a real good idea of the problem with the fuel system before you start any of this. Refer to Clark's garage for the test procedures. Good luck
Old 03-15-2005, 09:42 AM
sonnenschein987
Intermediate

Default thanks

Hi,

I am located in the Knoxville area.

About the fuel filter, this was replaced several weeks ago, because it was never replaced and this was my first hope that this will solve all these problems.

As for the filter that sits in the tank, I will do this the next time when the tank is really close to empty. At the moment I have a quartor of fuel in it and I really don't know where to store it.

But now the first success:
The fuel pump is replaced and it was relatively easy, costed me an hour but this is done. O.K. I didn't test it, because I want to have no pressure on the fuelsystem yet, because today the 4 injectors and the FPR will be replaced. Any hints for the injectors in addition to Clarks Garage? The FPR seems straight forward when the rail is removed.

And any hints for the Lamda sonde, is this plug and play, means replace it and connect the cable. By the way, this huge connector under the hood from the Lamda guy is broken and was taped by the workshop. The replacement sonde that I have has no such connector. Can I just remove the ols connector take a straight wire and connect the new sonde to the cable? Or are there any resistance things to take care about?

Thank you very much,

Thomas

PS: Sorry about my english, but I am german, so I can read german manuals but have a lot of problems with some technical english words :-(
Old 03-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sonnenschein987
is this plug and play, means replace it and connect the cable. By the way, this huge connector under the hood from the Lamda guy is broken and was taped by the workshop. The replacement sonde that I have has no such connector. Can I just remove the ols connector take a straight wire and connect the new sonde to the cable?
Yes, that will work. In the U.S. this part is called "oxygen sensor."

Are you homesick yet? Hope you're enjoying Tennessee. It's a wonderful state.

Quick Reply: 944 '83, a lot of problems