Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blaupunkt Charleston installation help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:27 AM
BigRed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaupunkt Charleston installation help...

I recently received a Charleston head unit and some speakers from a fine Rennlister (billgot). It's in very nice condition...problem is the PO of my '87 944 hacked the poo out of the stock wiring harness. After about an hour of resplicing (I'll probably go back and solder/heat shrink later) I got power to the head unit.

Now my problem is getting sound to speakers...I found the speaker wire (I think...it had also been heavily hacked), but I'm apparently missing the connectors. I think I figured out where it all plugs in into the back of the head unit, so that's not a problem...it's the connectors. Is this a part that Radio Shack or someone like that will carry?

Next question, there are 2 wires coming out of my Charleston. One is for the antenna (that was the only wire not heavily hacked in my car), but the other one is a mystery to me. It sort of looks like a computer or video type cable and I can't find anything in my harness that even remotely will plug into this. What is it? Do I need it? How can I fix it?

Here are some pictures of the wiring harness and the back of the head unit...
Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2005, 12:06 PM
BigRed
Pro

Originally Posted by smokey
I would like to remove the Blaupunkt equalizer in my 944 Turbo S to install the cubby hole below the radio. I can get it partway out, but it sticks, and I don't want to break it. What's the trick in removing it? I have the tool for removing a Blaupunkt radio, but the equalizer doesn't have the little holes on the side for pulling it out. Any expert advice would be appreciated.
[Quoted from another thread]...could this mystery wire coming out of my Charleston be for the Blaupunkt EQ? That would make sense to me...
Old 03-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wess:

Blaupunkt uses some funky speaker connectors and they are scarce as hen's teeth. You might try here: Midwest Electronics

The second cable is for connecting either a Blaupunkt BEA-80 amp, or a Blaupunkt BQA-80 Amp/EQ.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:29 PM
BigRed
Pro

Thanks so much Cliff! I'll contact them asap.

Would anyone have some spares laying around...

Quick Reply: Blaupunkt Charleston installation help...