Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a report on 944fest :D

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005 | 06:15 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Default Doing a report on 944fest :D

You heard right! We ahve to do a speech and report in my public speaking class. We had to pick a state and discuss soemthing that goes on there. I picked Ohio, and 944fest. So, I need as much information as possible....how and why it started, what all gets done there, and any other information that I could use. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2005 | 06:31 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It started because we like 944's and we drink too much.
Old 03-10-2005 | 06:44 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

that about sums it up...I love drinking...and I have a 944
Old 03-10-2005 | 06:59 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

sounds like a good beginning
Old 03-10-2005 | 07:09 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

I have a feeling some pictures will make into this thread...
Old 03-10-2005 | 07:37 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Yep. thats about it.

You may want to check with Dan P, he remembers more than we do.
Old 03-10-2005 | 08:36 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

I remember feeling like an idiot when I had 2 beers in my hand and Michelle looked at me.

944 fest is all about fun :P
Old 03-10-2005 | 09:26 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Brad hahahahahahaha

Tim, if you want some good info, just ask Dan P.
Old 03-10-2005 | 09:49 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Oh dear.. where do I start? Tim, If I wrote you a note explaining the start of it all, I'd probably be writing your speech for you. Hmmm. It's not widely known but the roots of the event started in a deep crevice between my Pcar mechanic brother and myself. Cuz stepped up as my bro and his arrival every year, like the swallows to Capistrano, triggers a celebration. The early years were just 10 guys, cars and steaks. (I always like to go first class) Rennlist, like a strong wind on a forest fire, fanned the flames of the party. This year we'll be breaking all budget records ($6000+) and hopefully attendance too.
You know, we are not unique in this effort. All of the car makes have some sort of big meet they focus on. I've got a co-worker who is in a Chevy Avalanche club, for crimminy's sake. I guess they just like to gather with folks whom they have something in common. There is something in basic human nature desiring to belong, to be in a tribe of sorts. Rennlist is our community, and the 944Fest is our mecca, if you will.
Myself I'm very very fortunate to have the resources to make it all happen. Financially and with a good support circle, I'm in a place where I can do it. If I were writing the speech, I might title it "A Fool and his Money are soon Partied". It's not about the money, I like meeting the people, leading the pack, and providing my guests an event unlike any other. Where else will you find a car show with free beer, food, prizes, etc? I don't think it exists. I'm a fool for not charging admission, and for spending my families' $$ on this sort of event. Then again, they don't want for much and this is just a "hobby" for me. Many hobbies cost more. It also takes a splash of alcoholism to do what I do. I'd be out of line if I didn't mention all of my sponsors, donors and helpers. I could never do this alone.. (I just write the checks)
I'm flattered you are doing this about us, yet I also realize that it is something dear to you. (and there must not be much else out there worth investigating!)
What else do you need to know? (How long does the speech need to be?)
Old 03-11-2005 | 01:45 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

The speech has to take up 7 minutes...and i chose this event because it is something I hold dear to me...and I want to let people at my school know...that just ebcause I drive a Porsche...and we drive the same cars...that we are stuck up ********. Hell, I don't have enough money to be stuck up...lol. Basically, I need to inform them first, then tell why it is great. A short history, and then the talks of friendship, bonding, that feeling of being part of the group.

On a side, but not completely, off note, I went to my first g2g this past saturday. For the first time in my life, I felt like I belonged somewhere. WE had different interests, different ages, but that one small thing brought us together. It may be just a car, but I had more fun and felt more accepted last saturday than I have my entire life. That is basically what i want to convey in this speech. Its about more than cars, its about us. The community, the family, the friends. We are 944 owners, and we will not drift silently into the night!!!

*shrugs* sounded good to me...
Old 03-11-2005 | 07:44 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

7 minutes, If you start by handing out jello shots and beer you may get by with 5 minutes and noone will notice!!
Good luck Tim, you can always start out with- "It was the best of times, and the best of times...."
Old 03-11-2005 | 11:59 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Talking

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
7 minutes, If you start by handing out jello shots and beer you may get by with 5 minutes and noone will notice!!
Good luck Tim, you can always start out with- "It was the best of times, and the best of times...."

Here is some history for you.

The first Fest, July 5th 2001, took place at my childhood home in North Ridgeville, Ohio. 10 944s gathered on that warm Thursday evening for steak dinner and a cruise. We did a photo shoot at the Cleveland IX center in front of the Jacob's (owner of the Cleveland Indians) Gulfstream. Brad Kennett won best in show for his as-new 88 944 Turbo S in SIlver Rose Metallic.
A pic and some info is at http://home.earthlink.net/~porsche944t/FEST.html

Fest #2, July 7th 2002, Moved to my new home at 93 Oak Creek Dr in Mansfield, OH and featured a hog roast and lawnmower racing. This was our first weekend event. Chris won the lawnmower races with a time of :54.55. Perry ran the course in :52.75 with a crazy throttle tweaking style but ate a cone and lost :10. We had about 13 cars, but Perry 951 came in a Buick and vowed to return the next year with his machine. I don't recall awarding a best-in-show, but highlights included Brian S getting a surprise gift Saratoga from his girlfriend Krista (now wife) and the photo shoot was with another Gulfstream belonging to Krista's grandpa (!!!). I closed the event with a smoky burnout in my 67 440 Charger. Pics and info are at :
http://home.earthlink.net/~944fest/Fest02Pics.html

The third annual 944fest took place July 5th and 6th 2003 once again in Mansfield. I had moved out of the home and it was for sale, so we had plenty of sleeping room in the empty house. 30 cars came, including Perry 951's spectacular pheonix of a 944 turbo. He won a special award for preservation of the breed. The invite for the event is here: http://home.earthlink.net/~944fest/944Fest03.html This year's photo shoot was the long line of cars with no airplane.
Scott Harrison appeared, tensioned a few timing belts and vanished.
This was the first fest of the modern era, complete with camping, a keg, fireworks, wrenching, a production video and donated door prizes. I served burgers and a clambake. The pics on Rennlist bypassed any pic webpage I could have done so I let that one go.

Fest 04 happened July 3rd and 4th 2004 in Lebanon, OH at the awesome Swift estate. My old home was sold and we needed a place to handle the growing crowd. I started 944fest.com to spread the word. 50 cars came over the 2 day show to enjoy catered cajun themed grub, tons of beer, prizes and fellowship. I took advantage of John and Jen Dunkle's presence (the father of Rennlist) to award some unusual trophies such as Chris' "Post *****". Highlights include Rock's tranny swap, Girls on trampolines, Jello shots and a huge bonfire with supplimental pyrotechnics. Dan87951 took the best in show with his black Turbo, and Winslow wowed the crowd with his "Host's Choice" Turbo. This was the first year for Tshirts, they proclaimed "We're all here because we're not all there". (partly because the largest Porsche show in the USA, the PCA Parade, was happening in Texas that same weekend, and partly because some of us don't have everything torqued down to spec)

Fest 05 will happen July 16th and 17th 2005 again in Mansfield OH. Check my invite (link in my sig) for details. I'm particularly excited about it for a few reasons. The dyno is going to be exciting, the venue is awesome, and I look forward to the return of a few extra special participants, including Perry, Chip, and Rhen.

FWIW, the only people who made it to all 4 Fests were myself, Brad K, and Cuz. In years past the date was always dependent on the date for the NOR PCA DE. This year that changed and I picked the date on what was best for the fest. There are plenty of Car shows, German car shows, and Porsche shows but this is the only one I know of that focuses on the often snubbed front engine Porsche. On this weeked we step out from the shadows of our rear engined brothers and celebrate our common bond.

Enough for ya?

Last edited by 944Fest (aka Dan P); 03-11-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2005 | 10:19 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

I could stretch that into a weekend
Old 03-11-2005 | 10:33 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Fest 04 happened July 5th and 6th 2004 in Lebanon, OH
I thought it was the third and fourth?
Old 03-11-2005 | 11:33 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Originally Posted by iloveporsches
I thought it was the third and fourth?
You are so right, post edited. It helps if I look at a calendar from the correct year!

Quick Reply: Doing a report on 944fest :D