Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gratuitous 944 Information Thread (or "What I Learned About My Car Today")

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005 | 05:49 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Michelle, no need on the turbo, it sweeps past the shift point so fast the light might as well stay illuminated. On the NA it takes so long to get up to the shift point, I am pretty sure that is why the light stays on all the time
Old 03-15-2005 | 05:57 PM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

Hey that's what those hooks are for in the trunk of the coupe...?? I was always wondering about those.

The parking lights coming on with the turn signal (key off) baffled me for a while but I lived in Germany for a couple years and it makes sense. The roads are really narrow and when you park it's handy to put on the outboard driving lights as a visual. It works for either side (one side at a time...)

As far as the sunroof flying off is concerned, my microswitch died and I had to manually close the sunroof. If it wasn't latched by the rear guides it flapped open at about 70 (right about the speed when a C172 takes off making it a quasi airfoil ). When the switch worked it would engage the back latches as soon as the car was put into gear/started moving. I think it's kinda funny that the ASC folks who did the cab didn't child proof it as well (you can half open it and drive around all day (never try this at home... ).

Last edited by AZ968Cab; 03-16-2005 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-15-2005 | 07:12 PM
C5Driver951
Racer

For anyone that doesn't know how to remove the roof, you go to the first click on the key and open the roof. Then when you reinstall, you pray that it will latch again...

My 89 944 doesn't have a shift light.

If your alarm is draining your battery on the late cars you can disable the system by pulling the two pronged connnector on the alarm controller box by the DME.

There is a notch in the flywheel that appears in the open area at the bottom of the bellhousing to show when the number one cylinder is at TDC. This works as a quick check until you can get up top to check the cam sprocket and the line in the window in the bellhousing up top. This really helps when installing your flywheel lock that you all have, right?
Old 03-15-2005 | 09:09 PM
my84-944
Racer

Originally Posted by patrat
The shape of this car, especially with dark colors, allows unreal heat levels on a sunny summer day. When the car belonged to my father, there was a small plastic cooler in the hatch which contained a can of fix-a-flat and a few quarts of oil. The temperature was great enough to rupture the fix a flat can. The resulting explosion blew the hatch off of the car, and the oil was nicely misted over the entire interior.

I bet that was quite a bang.

I also have the shift light and it is always on, but gets brighter when you are supposed to shift.
Here is mine from today:
When you cut and buff your p-car it makes your neighbor use his leaf blower and cover your car with grit and contaminate your rubbing compound with bits of dirt and crap, because you left the lid off to go get a beer out of the fridge. HATE THAT GUY
Atleast the car looks good
Old 03-15-2005 | 09:33 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

The easiest way to adjust clutch pedal free play is to loosen the two screws in the fuse box and pull it staight up and to the left side of the car out of the way. then take the plastic cover off of the clutch rod and adjust it from on top. much easier than laying on your back in the floor board.
Old 03-15-2005 | 09:56 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt H
Michelle, no need on the turbo, it sweeps past the shift point so fast the light might as well stay illuminated. On the NA it takes so long to get up to the shift point, I am pretty sure that is why the light stays on all the time
Awww man, that's cold. . .

The early n/a's also have the CASIS shift light - at least the early '85 does.

I finally figured out the "triangles" on the 85.5+ instrument cluster - they go with various annunciators. Anything that CAN illuminate the "!" light (brake fluid, brake pads, e-brake engaged, etc.) has a triangle associated with it that points to the description of what's causing the "!" light. Pretty cool. Took me forever to figure out why those triangles were there!
Old 03-15-2005 | 10:50 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

On the late cars with the electric hatch release, the key does not open the hatch, but rather triggers the electric hatch release. If your battery is dead, you cannot open the hatch. Unless you crawl back there, undo the clips, and manually move the release.

I've owned 3 late 944s....and still haven't figured out what the sliders on the climate control do. Maybe it's because none of them work...
Old 03-15-2005 | 10:55 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Dmitry, I can open my hatch just fine with the battery out of the car (I have done it too many times to count). I have to say that one is a myth.
Old 03-15-2005 | 10:57 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Hmmm. both my 951S and my S2, you can't open the hatch. I was just swapping the battery between the two today, and couldn't open the hatches.
Old 03-15-2005 | 11:33 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

yeah matt, my battery died once and i couldn't open the hatch from the outside to get out the jumper cables.

and oh yes, to disable the factory alarm, you must not only remove the two wiring harnesses, but also jump the switched 12v ignition wire to the wire giving power to the dme from the alarm harness itself.
Old 03-16-2005 | 01:30 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I have the hatch release mechanism, and the key still opens the hatch with now battery. The key turns an egg shaped piece which has pins sticking out of it, which are the ends of the latch rods going through.. the hatch release just pulls on the lower pin, rotating the egg shape just as you would with the key in the lock...

That's how it is in mine anyway, perhaps yours is put together wrong? Not sure how it woudl work, maybe more than one type?
Old 03-16-2005 | 02:15 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dmitry S.
On the late cars with the electric hatch release, the key does not open the hatch, but rather triggers the electric hatch release. If your battery is dead, you cannot open the hatch. Unless you crawl back there, undo the clips, and manually move the release.

I've owned 3 late 944s....and still haven't figured out what the sliders on the climate control do. Maybe it's because none of them work...

i hate hte climate control sliders.. dont know what does with with the climate control.. when its off its on and when i want it on its off... blah!

but for the hatch, i can open my 85.5's hatch without the battery in it
Old 03-16-2005 | 08:00 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Top slider controls flow to the top vents (the ones that blow on the windsheild). So if you want maximum defrosting or defogging power, set the top one to the right, bottom one to the left and close the center vent. The bottom slider is for the foot wells. So set the top slider to the left, bottom to the right and again, close the center vent.
Old 03-16-2005 | 08:43 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Devon is correct in the description of the mechanism. My guess is that your mechanisms are broken. Never seen it any other way. Maybe they made a switch late in 88 or something. One thing is for sure, in my 87 with electric hatch release you can open it with the key.
Old 03-16-2005 | 08:50 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Most of the 88 and onward cars have an electric release that is activated by the key, but not physically turned by the key, necessitating the car to have the battery in it to open the hatch, even with the key. The motors are also slightly different for those late cars, so that the early motors do not swap into them (most of the difference is in the plugs/connectors, a wiring genious could probably update an older motor to work if need be).

So Dmitry is right, for the 88-onward cars. And Matt is right for the pre-88 cars.

Quick Reply: Gratuitous 944 Information Thread (or "What I Learned About My Car Today")