Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRONT CRANK SEAL LEAK FIXED!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 09:39 PM
FletchDM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, we're just talking about the drive sleeve which rides on the crankshaft and goes through the front crank seal. It's the gear shown in the first post of this thread. It just slides right off the crankshaft as soon as you remove the cam belt pulley woodruff key (that can be tricky if it sticks). You definitely do not need to drop the oil pan or remove the oil pump to change this part.

Since you just did the belts and seals, just wait until your retension if you want to change the drive sleeve.

-David
Old 03-08-2005, 09:54 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess if you did it, you did it.
i'm not sure - i was working on something else when my buddy had the new crankshaft seal in. i said i had a new oil pump drive gear and he said we couldn't get it.

The PET shows the drive gear with the oil pump and the front pulleys and gear assembly end at the crank seal. If I could have gotten it when i was in there, i would have liked to.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:02 PM
FletchDM
Instructor

I think I remember that the PET exploded view diagram wasn't especially helpful but, yes, when you pull the cam belt gear woodruff key, the oil pump drive sleeve will just slide right off the end of the crankshaft. I guess in some cases it might take some muscle, but mine came right off. The woodruff key, on the other hand, took some fussing.

Good luck, when you go at it.

-David

P.S. Guys, PM about tonight is sent.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Ah yes...I have a duplicate sleeve with the groove sitting on my shelf here at work. I just did the belts on my car last month and I decided to replace the sleeve along with the seal...and even after 35 thousand miles it was showing signs of wear. It's a good thing to replace "while you're in there"!!

-Steve
Old 03-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

Damn this might the problem to my leak as well. I replaced my oil seals and though maybe I used the wrong balance shaft seal but you may have helped me find the culprit.

Quick Reply: FRONT CRANK SEAL LEAK FIXED!