Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping a car

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 12:44 AM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shipping a car

What have you used to ship your car across the nation? Anyone shipped from L.A. to the east coast?

Would you choose a fully inclosed transport or a open multi-car thing? I think anything over 1k is a lot for moving a car (so inclosed would be out of the question)...

What companies have done good jobs?
Old 03-02-2005, 12:55 AM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

I have checked into prices for shipping a car and a motorbike, I was shocked and disgusted by the prices I was qouted.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:12 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've shipped a car from the east cost to LA, but I didn't pay for it (a company move). I first tried to used a cheap internet based broker and had a terrible experience --- the trucker never showed up. I then went with Concours Transport based on Rennlist recommendation and had great service (in an enclosed trailer), but it was to the tune of $1500. If you do a search, you'll find a bunch of recommendations.

Also moved a motorcycle to Boston and back, but I lumped it together with my furniture, so it didn't add a whole lot to the moving expense (same cost as moving a couch b/c they went my cubic inches of materials).
Old 03-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Curt911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sharky47
I have checked into prices for shipping a car and a motorbike, I was shocked and disgusted by the prices I was qouted.
I understand your being shocked and disgusted with the quotes, but when you consider what it cost to run a truck you would understand I think... $200k to $300k for a rig, 4 to 6 mpg, $2/gal, Insurance, tolls, etc. It cost big bucks to run a transporter.

here are some suggestions, any car that you care much about should be shipped enclosed IMO, Passport or Intercity would be my top picks...

Passport Transport (FedEx enclosed only) www.passport.fedex.com
AutoTrans (FedEx open and enclosed) www.autotrans.fedex.com
Intercity Lines www.intercitylines.com<<<<<<<<<< RENNLIST SPONSOR
Exotic www.exoticcartransport.com
VIP 888-428-5847
Concours www.concourstransport.com
Showtime 888-748-4418
Gold Rush www.goldrushmotorsports.com
Premier 877-667-7364

Last edited by Curt911; 03-04-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Intercity Lines
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default car shipping

It would be nice if you Rennlist Folks would pay more attention to your Rennlist Sponsors. Looking for a Transporter? Go to the Sponsors page...Intercity Lines is one of your supporting sponsors!

Dave Wilson
Pres.
Intercity Lines.
1-800-221-3936 x205
jim@intercitylines.com
www.intercitylines.com

'69 MBZ 6.3
'16 Cayenne
'32 Ford highboy, Cadillac powered
Old 03-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by 8943post
It would be nice if you Rennlist Folks would pay more attention to your Rennlist Sponsors. Looking for a Transporter? Go to the Sponsors page...Intercity Lines is one of your supporting sponsors!

Dave Wilson
Pres.
Intercity Lines.

Hi Dave!

I've always suggested Intercity Lines here. I think your pricing lately has been better than the others out there as well, so I don't think it hurts for people to get other quotes to see that Intercity Lines not only is a Site Sponsor, but beats the competition in pricing and service too.

BTW are you transporting all the new Carrera GTs for Porsche now? I don't think there is anything wrong with you letting the guys here know your company's experience as a contract carrier for PCNA, I know your trucks hauled many loads out of Charleston for years...

Rennlisters: wanna really make Dave happy? Send him a good cigar after your car arrives (in perfect shape, clean, and timely)

Last edited by Curt911; 03-04-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Intercity Lines
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi Curt,

Many thanks for your continued support of Intercity.

Hopefully my irritaion was too pronounced! It gets aggravating when our Porsche Folks are looking for a transporter or any service for that matter and don't bother to check out the sponsors that help to support this forum. All the Rennlist Sponsors pay real $$ to help keep Rennlist on line. For this we ask that you consider all of us when you make a buying decision for whatever good or service that you need.

Yes! Porsche Cars NA uses Intercity exclusively for all their high profile moves. This includes all the Carrera GT shipments. We're fortunate to enjoy a 15 year relationship with them. Everyone who works for PC NA are truly dedicated Porsche fans and are a joy to work with!

I wish that we could offer deeper discounts on our transportation rates. With oil over $50/barrel and nudging $55 today, our operating costs continue to skyrocket. However, we will always do our best to offer the best auto transport service available. That I will personally guarantee!

Cigars? Yeah the only vice I have left...nice Dominican or an occasional Cuban are always welcome.

Thanks to all who continue to support Intercity. We really do appreciate it.

Dave Wilson
Old 03-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I used Intercity to ship my Turbo from NC to MA, and they were great. Arrived early, car was in top notch shape.

As for enclosed vs exposed: If the car already looks like a POS, go ahead and ship it open. If it looks nice now, it will probably look like a POS after shipping open cross-country. IMO.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:06 PM
schumi
Instructor

cross country in an enclosed trailer will run your a few thousand $, a little more than half that on an open trailer. I researched shipping car that I was interested in on Rennlist classifieds that was in Colorado (I'm in Louisiana) and after seeing how much it cost and how many people were furious at the companies that shipped their cars (for all kinds of things), I decided to fly there and buy it. It was a long drive and I'm glad the car didn't break down! Did almost 1000 miles in one day, with heater stuck on full blast in 80+ degree weather, I don't recommend it.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:34 PM
a.n.other
Instructor

Has anyone any thoughts about shipping a car across the ocean to the UK (from San Francisco) - I suspect it will make these cross country prices seem like peanuts!
Old 03-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Intercity Lines
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cross country shipping is $1500 to $1900 for an enclosed transporter. An open truck is half of that but comes with risks. You get what you pay for. BTW German cars don't handle well after they've been tied in place on a truck with chains...as used by open transporters.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by a.n.other
Has anyone any thoughts about shipping a car across the ocean to the UK (from San Francisco) - I suspect it will make these cross country prices seem like peanuts!
Actually it will probably cost you more to get it from SanFran to the east coast than it will to boat it across the pond. PM me if you need to get it across the pond I have a good source for you (cost me only $1500 to ship a hi-top van from FL to Germany).

Call Dave at Intercity (plug) to get it to Charleston, Jax, NY etc...

Quick Reply: Shipping a car