Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Sway bar helps a lot!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 05:37 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear Sway bar helps a lot!

My car felt weird when cornering recently. Today I made a turn at what I thought was a reasonable speed and the rear end swund around on me! It felt totally out of control when turning. I put it up on jackstands and it turns out one of the bolts on the rear sway bar had come out. I put it back in and I will be taking it for a test drive soon. lets hope I can keep it under control!

Is this how a car without a rear sway bar and with a front bar would handle?
Old 02-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by judd944
Mine came sans rear sway bar. I even autocrossed it that way. My rear-end was always breaking loose, my times sucked, but I earned "style" points.

xsboost90 (Dan) installed an S2 rear bar (off of 944Pete's car) and it is much improved.

Many things can make you break free, but I'd bet the missing bolt was your issue. It couldn't have helped things.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My car came without one to. When making a hard turn, it always felts like the rear inside wheel must be coming off the ground due to the body roll. I recently added a 24mm front and 18mm rear bar. The rear feels much more planted through hard corners now.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my 924S went from the whole "No sway bar in the back, 19mm in the front" to a completely different setup when I got ahold of it...Now, it's got a 24 mm Turbo front sway, and a 968 M030 19mm adjustable rear...WOW the difference was great!
Old 02-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Swaybars > Springs. Many misinformed people buy stiff springs for their street cars instead of upgrading the sways. Big mistake. Huge swaybars eliminate a lot of sway, but the cars suspension is still nearly as compliant as stock.

Ever hit a bump with stiff springs through a tight turn on a side of a clif? Probably not; you're still here...

Currently running weltmeister 28mm front on full soft and 18mm rear. Waiting to get a 22 rear bar so i can put them both somewhere closer to full stiff.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:20 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by judd944
My car felt weird when cornering recently. Today I made a turn at what I thought was a reasonable speed and the rear end swund around on me! It felt totally out of control when turning. I put it up on jackstands and it turns out one of the bolts on the rear sway bar had come out. I put it back in and I will be taking it for a test drive soon. lets hope I can keep it under control!

Removing a rear swaybar would cause more understeer. A loose sway bar might produce unpredictable handling characteristics as you experienced if it was totally unbolted and then binded up against something as the weight transfer was occuring. This would transfer the weight rather abruptly and could push the tires beyond their adhesion threshold.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:30 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Serge944
Swaybars > Springs. Many misinformed people buy stiff springs for their street cars instead of upgrading the sways. Big mistake. Huge swaybars eliminate a lot of sway, but the cars suspension is still nearly as compliant as stock.
On the other hand, that setup would lead to a lot more weight transfer under max braking, which is not as important on a street car relative to a track car. On a track car, you would want to go stiff on the springs to get the rates you want and tune the balance with the sways.

How you get your rates kind of depends on how you use your car.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Steve PH
Instructor

In reply to....
[Removing a rear swaybar would cause more understeer.]

Not normally, the usual "rule of thumb" is stiffening the rear end will give you over steer and stiffening the front will give you understeer. Based on the assumption that the end of the car with softer more compliant suspension will have more grip.

Problem is that car setups are rarely as straight forward as this! But in the case of the 944 a nice stiff rear end makes the car feel good and makes it more predictable.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:47 PM
father2nate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of all this - Serge, I need that rear sway bar! Hopefully we can all get together some time.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris luckett
A loose sway bar might produce unpredictable handling characteristics....
I know this one from experience...but it was the front sway.... R.I.P. Original A-arms, and new PD's and new Kumhos....and straight Air Dam....
Old 02-26-2005, 09:17 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve PH
In reply to....
[Removing a rear swaybar would cause more understeer.]

Not normally, the usual "rule of thumb" is stiffening the rear end will give you over steer and stiffening the front will give you understeer.
Isn't that what I said?

Remove rear sway=less rear stiffness -> more understeer
Old 02-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I beleive you are correct...
Old 02-26-2005, 10:17 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris luckett
On the other hand, that setup would lead to a lot more weight transfer under max braking, which is not as important on a street car relative to a track car. On a track car, you would want to go stiff on the springs to get the rates you want and tune the balance with the sways.

How you get your rates kind of depends on how you use your car.
Springs/bars do not effect weight transfer...the amount of weight transferered is a function of suspension geometry and CG height.

Last edited by adrial; 02-26-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:54 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How do they not effect weight transfer? If you had a mushy front end wouldn't that effect how the weight transferred from back to front as you brake and turn in?
Old 02-26-2005, 11:00 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for all the replies guys. I am still scared to take hard corners with my car. I have sway bars from an 86 turbo on my car. (I dont know what size those are) Maybe I am just not used to how the car handles with skinny tires on the rear (7") Most of the year I run 9" tires that are heavy and do not break loose.

Quick Reply: Rear Sway bar helps a lot!