Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Devil's Advocate on my Cold Air Intake Theory..

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
I am talking to the point where I was losing exhaust density because of the piping and the cone filter was contributing even more to the loss.
What's exhaust density? Back pressure?
Old 02-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skunk Workz
Are you allowed to make a ram-air box to that CAI? You could gain a little more hp on fast parts of the track by ducting air into the sealed box containing the CAI from the highest pressure region on the front of the car...effectively raising the atmospheric pressure in the airbox.And,decreasing the highest pressure in the car's frontal area also gives you more speed,as you have to push less air out of the way.
Interestingly, there was just a letter to Racecar Engineering on this very subject. They have been doing a aerodynamics series using CFD with a NASCAR cup car as a model. Someone was looking at the the modeling of a splitter at the front and noted that with a splitter area at the base of the airdam where it meets the splitter is even higher pressure that at the base of the windshield.

Unfortunately the rules require me to source air either from under the hood or the stock location. The stock location fortunately allows me to use a CAI.

Even though you can't share it,I'm willing to bet it's not the biggest header pipes in the entire world..
Not to big, not too small. But interestingly enough the Nissan SR20DE folks are running even larger primaries and have found even greater power. But that varies from engine to engine. But you're right, they are not huge. Keep in mind, our allowed modifications are very minor.

Dumping it out the side can actually be a disadvantage at speed...dumping loads of hot turbulent gasses out the side will disrupt the flow of air around the car,giving it more drag,making the extra hp gained only compensate for the "dynamic airflow profile" of the car being killed by the plume of exhaust punching a hole out the side. Dumping it at the rear,in the lowest pressure zone,helps hp like a short exhaust would at stand-still in a dyno,and you also gain by having the exhaust "fill the void" behind the car,giving you even less drag,for even more speed.
Yeah, that's an interesting idea I think I'll need to test. Certainly emptying into a partial vacuum should help scavenging. OTOH, the flow across the open pipe on the side should experience a partial vacuum as well. One of the problem with dyno testing is that it's static. Thanks for reminding us. Sometimes what works best on a dyno is not what works best in the real world.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by GlenL
Porsche not run by gods? Whatever. The engineers there do seem to be blessed, though.
Blessed? Nah. They just have a different mission from engineers for other manufacturers (Porsche has slightly different priorities, namely performance). It's funny how people get defensive about Porsche though.

Folks always want a few extra, and cheap, ponies. And I'm one of them, fer sher. However, it's pretty easy to size the intake plumbing to the needs of the engine. I tried a special open-top air box on my 928 and _lost_ horsepower on the dyno with it. Of course there are a lot of factors involved, but the intake was already sized right and letting in warmer air just caused a less-dense mixture to get sucked in.
An open airbox is just a noise maker.

Since there has got to be a drop across the air filter a larger air filter would be better. Still duct it to cooler air and the easy way is using that carefully-provided hole in the fender.
Larger filter is not the problem. Cooler air is a very small part of the equation. But now I'm repeating myself.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:05 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Blessed? Nah. They just have a different mission from engineers for other manufacturers (Porsche has slightly different priorities, namely performance). It's funny how people get defensive about Porsche though.
That's what I meant. And I believe I said: "it's pretty easy to size the intake plumbing to the needs of the engine"

Originally Posted by Geo
An open airbox is just a noise maker.
Does add a nice throaty sound. A long-debated issue on the 928 is whether the 4' long intake tubes hinder flow. The answer is "no." At least letting in the hot air is worse.

Originally Posted by Geo
Larger filter is not the problem. Cooler air is a very small part of the equation. But now I'm repeating myself.
Repeating how? Looking back at your first post I see an idea to change the intake tubing.

Less drop across the filter can be nothing but good. Perhaps the existing filter size good enough. I won't waste my dyno time on this one, but try a comparison between a new filter with an old dirty no-light-gettin-through filter. I know which will have more power. How about no filter? Anyone run that?

Air temp is an important part of the equation. Does the term "intercooler" ring a bell? Now the equation does use the absolute scale (Rankine or Kelvin) so a few degrees are not important. If you can start with 70F air instead of 180F air it does produce more power.

There are several parts to engine power level:

Getting fresh mixture into the cylinder. (This includes evacuationg the burned charge.)
The mechanics of the cylinder (CR, head shape, crank arm)
The fuel/air ratio
When the mess is ignited

If you're not going to change the cams or other engine mechanicals, there's just a few things to alter. Allowing the parts of the intake above the throttle to breathe better is a good approach.

Unfortunately for us, the blessed Porsche engineers have already got the N/A cars tuned fairly strongly. This makes it hard to get cheap easy extra ponies out of it.

Reminds me of another US car story:

Had this 1976 Olds Ninety-Eight coupe (RIP) with a 455 V8. Lots of torque off the line, but the small exhaust manifolds, cat and single exhaust held it back. Once I put headers and dual exhaust on it, the thing had a completely different top end. Bizarrely and unexpectedly quick acceleration. Added a switch in the ashtray to hold the kick-down switch on for high-revving stoplight action. Now that was a few hunderd well spent.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe me, at speed the underhood temp on the 944/924S is not that much higher than ambient. I know this to be a fact as I took measurements last summer and will repeat the experiement this summer to confirm my findings.

On the other hand, with the car sitting still (read no airflow) and at operating temperature the engine compartment temperature goes up quite a bit.

I have also posted before that on a dead cold engine I found idle performance and throttle response to be far better with the stock airbox and snorkle than with an MSDS cone filter setup. Heat in the engine bay was not a factor since, as I mentioned, the engine was cold when I did the comparison. Unfortunately no dyno info.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Geo
Race Director

Repeating how? Looking back at your first post I see an idea to change the intake tubing.
Perhaps you missed the part about resonance tuning.

Less drop across the filter can be nothing but good. Perhaps the existing filter size good enough. I won't waste my dyno time on this one, but try a comparison between a new filter with an old dirty no-light-gettin-through filter. I know which will have more power. How about no filter? Anyone run that?
What does a dirty filter have to do with a larger filter? If nothing else, a larger filter box will just slow down the intake charge. That will make matters worse. Air flow will stall. Not what we're looking for.

Air temp is an important part of the equation. Does the term "intercooler" ring a bell? Now the equation does use the absolute scale (Rankine or Kelvin) so a few degrees are not important. If you can start with 70F air instead of 180F air it does produce more power.
We aren't talking about forced induction here. Do you think you're going to see a 110* reduction in air temps on a NA? Hell no. In fact, I know three people who have conducted instrumented testing with thermocouples on two different cars and all three found that temps under the hood of a car moving at 50 mph or more was nearly ambient.

Where a properly designed CAI makes power is not through the cooler air, but through resonance tuning. The cooler air is a tiny part of the equation. Proper resonance tuning can greatly improve VE however.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manning
Believe me, at speed the underhood temp on the 944/924S is not that much higher than ambient. I know this to be a fact as I took measurements last summer and will repeat the experiement this summer to confirm my findings.
Holy cats. Thanks for posting this Manning. You posted while I was typing.

OK, make that 4 people with 3 different cars have confirmed this!
Old 02-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
I disagree. I have not seen a properly engineered CAI to lose power anywhere. It may more a greater % one place or another, but not lose. It is possible to lose power with too large an exhaust because the velocity of the flow can slow to the point that it kills scavenging. The backpressure thing is not totally true. It's true where there is a lot of overlap such that some backpressure can delay escape of unburned mixture, but generally what happens is flow slows too much and scavenging is lost or diminished. The backpressure thing is one of the widely understood myths.
Performance =/= peak hp
Old 02-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Serge944
Performance =/= peak hp
True. But just because the most power may have been higher in the rev range doesn't mean power was lost anywhere else. That is not always the case. I've seen plenty of well engineered mods (intakes, headers, etc) that gain everywhere. They just didn't gain equally everywhere. But they still gained.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:21 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

You lost HP because you lost volumetric efficiency. More air flow than the engine could use. Less back pressure than it needed to maintain that flow. To make more power, you first have to be able to process the air that's there. The filter/air box is likely not the limiting facter here. Ever measure the surface area of most cone filters?

Once you get more air in, you have to process it better. Throttle bodies, intakes, heads, and cams are what make power. That and associated RPM.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ame old $$$$$$$$$$$ame old.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:27 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
What does a dirty filter have to do with a larger filter? If nothing else, a larger filter box will just slow down the intake charge. That will make matters worse. Air flow will stall. Not what we're looking for.
It's an example to make a point. A dirty filter is more restrictive. A larger filter would be less restictive. (Gas near old fire: A new K&N will produce a lot more power than an type of dirty filter)

I my opinion, the air box is too far from the valves, with too many bends and restrictions in between, to affect system resonance. The runners from the plenum to the head are clearly designed to do produce resonance for each cylinder.

Originally Posted by Geo
We aren't talking about forced induction here. Do you think you're going to see a 110* reduction in air temps on a NA? Hell no. In fact, I know three people who have conducted instrumented testing with thermocouples on two different cars and all three found that temps under the hood of a car moving at 50 mph or more was nearly ambient.
No, this is N/A land but the effect holds. Cooler = better.

The underhood temp issue depends on the situation. Standing start or straight-away? Those el cheapo cone filters sit directly behind the radiator. Can't be good. Removing the cold air duct leaves open that the air will be similarly heated.

Originally Posted by Geo
Where a properly designed CAI makes power is not through the cooler air, but through resonance tuning. The cooler air is a tiny part of the equation. Proper resonance tuning can greatly improve VE however.
Well, I'll resist repeating myself.

If you're going to make comparisons the base and new conditions have got to be defined. I'd like to see real numbers on what the changes upstream from the AFM are doing.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:53 PM
my84-944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading this post closely and have seen that you are all well educated on the subject. What I not seen is anyone in this thread or any post state how a na 944 can get substantial power gains in the lower RPM. I have also wondered how can I get more low end "take off" HP in my 84 NA?
Turbo? No, because of the $ to value, better to just by a factory 944 turbo.
CAI? Already has one of sorts from Porsche.
Rebuild? Maybe it would make like new HP, but is that enough?
I think so far the only real answer is to drive it on twisty roads and enjoy it as a sport touring car like it was made.
Just my two cents guys, but if you have a better idea and answers let me know.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by my84-944
I have been reading this post closely and have seen that you are all well educated on the subject. What I not seen is anyone in this thread or any post state how a na 944 can get substantial power gains in the lower RPM. I have also wondered how can I get more low end "take off" HP in my 84 NA?
Turbo? No, because of the $ to value, better to just by a factory 944 turbo.
CAI? Already has one of sorts from Porsche.
Rebuild? Maybe it would make like new HP, but is that enough?
I think so far the only real answer is to drive it on twisty roads and enjoy it as a sport touring car like it was made.
Just my two cents guys, but if you have a better idea and answers let me know.
The first thing I'd do is call Jon Milledge and talk with him about cams. See what he has. He concentrates on racing, so most will likely be oriented towards high rpm output, but he does so some street car stuff, so he might have a nice street cam available. $600 according to his web site.

The other thing you can do won't add hp per se, but will feel like you did... a low mass flywheel. Some people aren't impressed with them, but most people are. I love 'em. A low mass flywheel will help all the way through the rev range.

A good header should help. The MSDS and Bursch aren't so hot. The Milledge header is supposed to work well with an IT race engine. Don't know how it would do with a street engine. There is another commercially available header that is supposed to work well, but I cannot remember which one it is. It's a relatively common name though.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:31 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

"it's pretty easy to size the intake plumbing to the needs of the engine".
It isn't all in the size of parts...the shape of the parts (and what they do to the "system") are often doing more to the torque/hp than the shape and the flowbench CFM tells you it will.

Unfortunately for us, the blessed Porsche engineers have already got the N/A cars tuned fairly strongly. This makes it hard to get cheap easy extra ponies out of it.
60 hp per litre for a "sports car engine" isn't even close to "well tuned". A Ford 1.6-litre OHC "Pinto"-engine from the late Seventies had about 55 hp per litre being a dull daily driver. If it had pushrods,rockers and an insane valve spring pressure,then it might be considered ok. For an OHC design,it's not adequate. If it was a well tuned N/A engine the 944 should have 75+ hp per litre as a bone stock car...considering that motorcycle engines from the late Eighties had 110+ hp per litre as stock...and nowadays they have in excess of 200hp per litre at the crank,if they are "well tuned".
Old 02-27-2005, 12:36 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Originally Posted by my84-944
What I not seen is anyone in this thread or any post state how a na 944 can get substantial power gains in the lower RPM. I have also wondered how can I get more low end "take off" HP in my 84 NA?
Get your intake port velocities up...then you'll get higher VE throughout the rpm range. That's what the 944 engine lacks.

Quick Reply: Devil's Advocate on my Cold Air Intake Theory..