Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steel brake lines: DOT vs. non-DOT

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 01:28 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steel brake lines: DOT vs. non-DOT

What's the difference (other than legality)?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:31 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

The DOT ones I got had a label on them - I don't know if that is checked for.

Someone here (was it a Canadian Rennlister) got their car failed for having non-DOT ss lines. I would assume a label is the only way they could check.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:33 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

other than the label...

What makes one DOT legal?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:52 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/..._lines_q&a.htm

There's more information there... but here is the relevant excerpt:

What is the difference between lines that are “DOT compliant” and “DOT approved”?

The United States Department of Transportation (DOT) has established numerous standards for automotive components and subsystems. The regulation for brake hoses happens to be FMVSS106. In this document, anything and everything pertaining to automotive brake hoses has been laid out in gory detail – at least, those things important to the federal government.

If a manufacturer claims their SS lines are “DOT compliant”, it means that their SS lines have passed all FMVSS106 requirements, and they have submitted the test data to the government for official certification. This does not mean they are acceptable for use on your car, but it does mean they pass the government minimum standards.

Another term you may hear in this context is “DOT approved.” However, the DOT is not in the business of actually approving or disproving compliance – they don’t typically run any tests on aftermarket components themselves. Under these circumstances, one can only surmise that these manufacturers are trying to state that their lines are actually “DOT compliant”, but it never hurts to ask before you buy.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:04 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 89magic98
The DOT ones I got had a label on them - I don't know if that is checked for.

Someone here (was it a Canadian Rennlister) got their car failed for having non-DOT ss lines. I would assume a label is the only way they could check.
Do you have a link to that thread by any chance?
Old 02-23-2005, 02:11 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Let me ask the question another way: Is there a PHYSICAL difference in the two, or is it just than someone jumped thru the flaming hoops erected by the feds in getting a product certified thus allowing them to arbitrarily charge more for the exact same product?

For your entertainment:
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION
LABORATORY TEST PROCEDURE
FOR
FMVSS 106
Brake Hoses
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles.../TP-106-8a.pdf

DATA SHEETS
SUMMARY OF HYDRAULIC BRAKE HOSE TESTING RESULTS
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles.../TP-106-8B.pdf
Old 02-23-2005, 02:45 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what I understand, the DOT lines have extra sheathing in the form of a plastic sheath going over the stainless braid.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:08 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

I would imagine that in many cases, DOT compliance is indeed a case of not having "jumped through the hoops". However, although not a guarantee, DOT compliance is better than nothing.

The S/S lines I put on my WRX are DOT compliant and definitely do not have any sort of plastic sheath over the braided steel (other ones on the market do though).
Old 02-23-2005, 10:42 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by patrat
from what I understand, the DOT lines have extra sheathing in the form of a plastic sheath going over the stainless braid.
I've seen DOT compliant lines without a plastic sheath. Refer to my links. The products is required to pass a specific test regimen in order to gain approval.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

A few years ago I asked (I don't recall which manufacturer) and was told that non-compliant hoses MAY not have sufficient hose support at the fittings and the hoses may have a greater chance of kinking there.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:40 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was under the impression that SS lines "hold" more pressure, thus not expanding under braking like the rubber hoses do?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know you said "other than legality" but just to throw this out - I'm pretty sure that using non-DOT compliant parts on your car makes it technically illegal to use on the federal interstate system. This would also include such things as the type "E" headlamps (Hella H4s are these) that do not have a DOT certification. Oddly, they DO have the European counterpart, which I'm told is actually a harder standard (maybe Iceshark or someone could verify this). This is why they're sold with a "for off road use only" sticker on them.

I doubt you'd ever get called out on it, but hypothetically speaking if you were in a wreck and it was determined that a defective component that caused or contributed was non-DOT approved you could probably end up in a world of schite with the law and quickly bankrupted due to negligance claims in civil court. Maybe one of the lawyers can chime in to verify this, but that's what I've been told.

Also, I think a lot of states adopt the federal standard as their own (they don't want to re-invent the wheel) as to a vehicle's legality on STATE roads, so you may very well be illegal EVERYWHERE by changing things that are supposed to meet a particular standard.

Will it matter in 99.9999999% of the cases? No. But it's just something to think about. . .
Old 02-24-2005, 12:33 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dealing w/ cars and sometimes custom motorcycles, the rubber shieth is only to protect the stuff the braiding bangs against. It does not serve as structure. The braided DOT lines i have seen for cars do not have the sheiths because they dont have much to worry about scratching up under a car.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:49 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I know you said "other than legality" but just to throw this out - I'm pretty sure that using non-DOT compliant parts on your car makes it technically illegal to use on the federal interstate system. This would also include such things as the type "E" headlamps (Hella H4s are these) that do not have a DOT certification. Oddly, they DO have the European counterpart, which I'm told is actually a harder standard (maybe Iceshark or someone could verify this). This is why they're sold with a "for off road use only" sticker on them.

I doubt you'd ever get called out on it, but hypothetically speaking if you were in a wreck and it was determined that a defective component that caused or contributed was non-DOT approved you could probably end up in a world of schite with the law and quickly bankrupted due to negligance claims in civil court. Maybe one of the lawyers can chime in to verify this, but that's what I've been told.

Also, I think a lot of states adopt the federal standard as their own (they don't want to re-invent the wheel) as to a vehicle's legality on STATE roads, so you may very well be illegal EVERYWHERE by changing things that are supposed to meet a particular standard.

Will it matter in 99.9999999% of the cases? No. But it's just something to think about. . .

That's one reason why I want to know.

If the DOT and non-DOT items are EXACTLY the same, you wouldn't have much of a case for negligence. I don't see how a company making the lines would bother making two different types unless there is a significant difference in construction and/or manufacturing cost. The assumed added strength/durability from making the lines compliant would ultimately result in a better product. My guess is that both are the same and one is DOT legal (and more $$$).

<rhetorical question>
Does the price difference for the DOT compliant lines really just amount to a premium for liability insurance in the case of a catastophic brake line failure?
</rhetorical question>

I'd gladly pay the cost of a ticket to see a cop crawling under my car to check the lines to see if they are legal!
Old 02-24-2005, 04:39 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris, stop teasing me with that damn avatar!

Quick Reply: steel brake lines: DOT vs. non-DOT