Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you got your 944, what was the first thing you did?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up the car and drove it home, then waited two weeks, then put on new belts/rollers/tensioners. Replaced vaccuum lines.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:47 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

I bought my first 87 turbo in 94. At that time the car still attracted a lot of attentiion. After picking it up and drove it home and parked it in the garage I had to keep checking to see if the car was really there. Even in the middle of the night I woke up to check to see if it was really there. I even made sure the garage door lock was locked. Don't know why but I did. Understand that I dreamed of this car since it was first introduced in 85. I owned the 87 till April of 2002 when I wrecked it. The attention I used to get then compared to now is like day and night. Not many really notices the 951 here like it did 11 years ago although there are a few that notices.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I was young and dumb. Drove it with plates from the volvo to my high school football game a few hours after I got it... then drove home. Thats all I did for the weekend as far as driving because of no plates etc... I did go under it in my backyard looking for the speedometer sensor, and couln't find it and thought I had an early transmission on a late car. That was a bummer. a few months later I found out the sensor just wasn't there and it was a late tranny and popped a new one in and was fine.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:08 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was raining the day i got mine (which is a good thing here )

Made 3 speed bumps scratch the bottom of the car several times since i didn't know just how "low" the car is

That week, drive it like i stole it and just ate anything that came my way (including a Z28 in a straight line )
Old 02-23-2005, 04:13 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A burnout! No really I did, I wanted to see if it was LSD or not! //puts flame suit on// A dumber move on my part.

Changed fuilds and drove it non stop for a week.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:44 PM
spieln
Rennlist Member

My 944- I stuck a license plate on it. Replaced the tail light bulbs since it was night. Dropped the top and went on a late night cruise. Within a week I was ordering parts and researching on the internet how to replace belts, rollers and the torn axle shaft boot. No records but the car was actually in very good shape. Drove down to wine country every weekend in October. My wife and I would trade off as the DD. Have loved every minute in it.

My 968 -I bought off e-bay and had delivered. When the truck delivered it, I pulled it into the garage and thought what a piece of S*#$. After considerable hours and dollars, I now enjoy driving it and after more dollars and time I will have it up to where I want it to be.

As the saying goes; "there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche". Good thing I like working on them and have found good resources such as Rennlist and others to help out. It is also a good thing that my wife is into sports cars
Old 02-23-2005, 04:49 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replaced the hood shocks and rear brake pads. I knew the car was in good shape, my dad bought it new, my brother inherited it, and I bought/was passed down by my brother. Until me, it was a dealership maintenance car. I do all the work now.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:24 PM
TrevorW
Racer

Well my first 87 I purchased the day George Harrison died and then had it tow'd home on Dec. 8 of that year. I was giddy to say the least, my dream car since I saw one at little league when I was 5. The day I got it home I thoroughly washed it and put a new battery in. Then for the next five months I washed it over and over again until I sold it May 10, 2001. I purchased the car for $900 and sold it for$3000 cash the day it went in the paper. I put about $100 and countless hours of sweat equity into the car. I took my profit and put it down on a 96 jetta, my parents paid the deficit since I had paid for my pilots license. My second 944 I bought last summer, I was down at summer school and some of my buddies and I went to a bar and a 'perfect' 944 was sitting out with a for sale sign. I'd seen the car a few times previous. I called the guy up and he showed me the car, well beer goggles apply to cars too. I offered $1300 and had him park the car at the mechanic before the title and money were exchanged. I told the mechanics to push the car in since the belts hadn't been done in at least eight years. I week and $1500 later I drove my car 300 miles home to Indy to visit my parents. I 'traded' the car a month later to a dishonest individual for a 93 325is. I hope to have another story to tell you all by 944fest this year.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Wagz
Racer

Brakestand.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:33 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

painted it...
Old 02-23-2005, 08:35 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
painted it...
yeah right, the first thing you did was drive it like 13 hrs home with no sleep for two days, why do I vaugely recall that?
Old 02-23-2005, 08:37 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah but then i painted it....or something like that.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:41 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought my silver 88 NA witch is now the 954. I got it home and stripped the interior, about a day or two later, I had the body pulled partially apart and the tranny out. The engine followed a few days later. In short, the first thing I did was strip it to a rollung chassis for a full build on a tired car.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:45 PM
cgoldhill
Intermediate

Clutch job which was quite a first thing to do. Sorta left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Learned how to drive a stick. I was 17 and had never owned a car before in my life; my dad test-drove it before I bought it, because I had no idea how in the world to handle the thing.

When it was sitting in the lane at my parent's house I spent something like 2 hours practicing standing starts listening to Van Halen's greatest hits. Damn near ran the thing out of gas. I can remember how the headlights looked reflecting off the snow down the lane. Must have gotten out 30 times just to look at the car in the snow from different angles.

By the next day, I considered myself proficent; we picked up the plates and I took it solo down the local country roads. At a stop sign I killed it three times in a row because I was trying to start it in 3rd. I thought I had really done something terrible to the car (mechanically). A local in a pickup passed me at the sign after the third stall, shaking his head.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why the thing felt so slow (other than the fact that it was an NA). Later that night, after another tank of gas, my mother, who had mastered the art of shifting a German car with a Ghia, demonstrated that you could wait to shift until after 3k and interesting things would happen. I had been grannying the thing way too much.

Slippery slope from there. Ritualistic cleaning, organizing of the records, etc. - all things I've done with each car purchase. If I can give one piece of advice - buy a binder, and put all of the receipts into it in chronological order. It will make things much easier later, and if you ever sell it, buyers will be amazed.

Micah

Quick Reply: When you got your 944, what was the first thing you did?