Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you got your 944, what was the first thing you did?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005 | 11:27 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

The first thing that I did was drive it. I had to fly home from school to pick it up since my dad found the car for me. I got home saw it and absolutely fell in love with my car. I checked the belts and the fluids and the next day I drove it back here. My last car was a Nissan 300ZX, so I knew what it was like driving a sports car, but this one was different. I was coming down a curvy rural highway in Pennsylvania going through the curves and stuff not thinking about anything but how happy I was to be driving a Porsche. I looked down at the speedo and it read 100... I was absolutely floored by this fact. It didn't feel like I was doing 100, it felt like I was doing 60...
Old 02-23-2005 | 11:55 AM
buckshot
Addict
Rennlist Member

took off the ricey windshield decal the p.o had stuck on there!
lots of upgrades since then, but that was the most immediately needed one!
buckshot wi
Old 02-23-2005 | 12:03 PM
simmomi
Pro

I was living in Memphis when I bought mine. The car was in Huntsville, AL and needed new rear tires to make the drive home (old ones were dry rotted).

So I picked the car up, and drove a couple miles from the seller's home to the local NTB to mount some new Michelin XGT V4s. Guess what the mileage was at NTB....38,944. I'll never forget it.

First major thing to be done was a clutch. Unfortunately, the original was chattering and it was hard to get a smooth start in 1st. When they pulled things apart, the disc was down to the rivets.

The car is now used as a weekender/occasional drive to dinner. Have to admit that I was getting a little bored with it recently. That all changed when the Atlanta Rennlisters got together for the mountain drive last weekend - OMG!! Now I know how well this thing really handles. I've got a new appreciation for it.

Sorry for being long winded...I love that car!!
Old 02-23-2005 | 12:10 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

first thing I did????

DONUTS!!!! hehehe jk.

I did a massive clean and detail on for one thing. Then got some touch up to fix some of the rock chips on the front valence. This was the burgundy 944.

With my black onne that I bought. I washed it and attempted to restore the bad quality paint on the car that was oxidized. I took it in to get it repainted a month later. Still gonna get it repainted due to dissatisfaction with the paint in some areas and I'd like to make sure no burgundy shows again in the door jambs and doors for sure; removing weatherstripping, glass, windshield and pulling carpets back.
Old 02-23-2005 | 12:14 PM
Sami951
Drifting

When I first got the 944S, I drove it back to the place I was working at the time. Of course everybody in the office wanted to see it, so we all went to the garage to take a look... it was such a pain to get back to work that I decided to leave a few hours early - fortunately the boss had absolutely nothing against it ... I then drove around for the rest of the day; fantastic!

With the turbo, it was like a dream come true. It was just before spring, so there was still some snow and ice around; I almost shat my pants driving the thing back home - couldn't stay off the boost. Then I had to fill in all kinds of registration and insurance paperwork plus wait for the snow to melt, must have been the longest few weeks in my life.
Old 02-23-2005 | 12:21 PM
ODUporschegurl
Instructor

first thing i did was call a towing company and get my car towed to in front of my house..atleast then i could stare at it..i didnt know how to drive stick when i made the purchase . a couple weeks later it and i were inseparable.
Old 02-23-2005 | 12:35 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

LOL. First thing...hmm. In a nutshell: take old engine out, keep valuable non-broken parts, get new engine, do a HG and belts, install.

Oh, and then within 20 min of first driving it my cousin spins it into a ditch.

"WTF, no ABS???"

It was muddy so no damage was inflicted.
Old 02-23-2005 | 12:51 PM
GuardsRed944
AutoX

I had no say in the selection of my car - I just came home from work one day and there it was. My wife just went out an looked at every one in our price range in a 100 mile radius. Without telling me. Fortunately, she picked a good one. Just needed all the belts and some ac compressor work. I didn't even have to clean it. It was never stored outside and always cleaned inside and out.
Old 02-23-2005 | 01:00 PM
Uranium-235
Three Wheelin'

The day after I bought my first 944 (the grey one) I took it to work and lost a timing belt roller, wasted 6 valves.

The newest one was parked in my driveway, I cleaned it up, repaired the broken bolt in the head, and finally got it into my garage for winter work.
Old 02-23-2005 | 01:05 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had the belts done before I even drove it the first time. Almost 60k miles on them

After I paid for it, drove 200 or 250 miles home. Went to work for 10 hours, came home, took it out and learnt to drive stick

First day of ownership I didnt sleep in over 30 hours. First week of ownership, I got prolly 16 hours sleep, if that.
Old 02-23-2005 | 01:18 PM
tommye
Instructor

Got in, adjusted the drivers seat, lowered the roof, turned the music off, and then drove 350 km:s non-stop home late at night at high speed hysterically laughing out loud most of the way..........
Old 02-23-2005 | 01:34 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

These stories are great - quite a variety of experiences!

Mine was delivered via. truck to my work location. I drove it home, parked it in the garage and started taking things apart. Right now the engine is in the midst of a re-build in my garage. The car is actually in quite nice shape, I bought it as a hobby project. Hopefully at the end of it all, the car will be in like-new condition (mechanically & cosmetically).
Old 02-23-2005 | 01:45 PM
89AZ944
Racer

After the Porsche inspection-

.......REPLACED TIMING BELTS......WATER PUMP INSPECTED......
P.O claimed the belts had been changed since purchased new from the dealer. Even with 68,000 miles on it, there was no record of when that was done in the past 15 years.

Oil change, Cam Tower seals, power steering hose clamps, air filter, fixed reversed oil pressure sensor wires (don't ask).

Then I went for a drive through the desert at 10 mph over the posted limit....Then I let the wife drive it........
Old 02-23-2005 | 03:15 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

When I bought the car I meet him at a dealership to get the legal part done then had a nice 45 min drive home. At the time, that was the longest I drove stick. NEVER even went over 1.2 bar, to afraid to get that much power. That took some time getting use to, now I wish I had more power!! But the drive home I was laughing as well, that is funny Tomm, didn't think anyone else did that. At 20 years old I was driving my Porsche 944 Turbo to it's new home, still makes me laugh. Anyways, after that, I did the usually stuff, oil/filter, tranny fluid, top off everything else and enjoyed. It wasn't for about 8 months later that I would put performance work into the car, chip/3 bar fpr.
Old 02-23-2005 | 03:43 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Took it for a dealer full service, and paid twice as much as the car cost me!

Quick Reply: When you got your 944, what was the first thing you did?