Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade late offset 15x7 P.Ds for early offset

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 02:07 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trade late offset 15x7 P.Ds for early offset

When I originally bought my 944 (the silver one), it had 15x7" cookie cutter wheels on it with extremely bad tires. The tires ended up shredding on me about two months into ownership and I didn't have money to get new ones, so the car sat on the donut for a while. I eventually got the chance to buy 15x7 phone dials (which I like better anyway) with Yokohamas on them in good condition from a guy on Ebay. I bought them and put 'em on and traded the cookies for a few other parts I neeeded. The problem is the PDs don't fill up the wheel wells like I think they should (they sit inside too far), so I believe the offset is incorrect.

FWIW I didn't think they even made 15x7 PD's in a late offset (I thought the '85.5+ PDs were all 16", but I guess not). The tires are still in very good condition and have a lot of life left. The wheels themselves are also in good condition, they could maybe use a repaint at some point but they're sound and I had them spin balanced as soon as I got them (maybe a year ago, if that). I'll entertain various offers for trades depending on what you've got. I'd consider 16" PDs, or even identical 15" PDs with the early offset, or possibly cookies again. Fuchs would be nice, but I know that's dreaming. Maybe I could throw in some cash or something.

Alternatively I could just keep them and use spacers, but spacers are ridiculously overpriced. I'll eventually (long term, post-Callaway upgrade 2-3 years from now) go with MUCH wider tires to handle the power (I'm looking at making a LOT of power with this, how much is classified for right now ), but I want something decent in the meantime. Anyone have anything good for sale cheap or trade?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:09 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

BUMP FOR TECHNICHAL EXPERTISE../
Old 02-23-2005, 11:21 AM
BigRed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me get this straight...

Offset wheels mean that the wheels/tires will sit further away from the car with the same size rubber, right? I'm starting to think that my Fuchs are offset. I thought it was 7" in the front and 8" in the back...the back wheels have a one inch lip that the fronts didn't have...but the tires are the same size, so these are offset, correct?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Offset is the distance from the centerline of the rim to the mounting face with the hub. Go here for details: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/offset.jsp

The early wheels have an offset of 23.x and the later wheels have an offset of 58.x.

What this means is if you have the later offset on the early car the wheels appear to be set deeper into the wheel arches. Tires do not effect offset.

I have the same problem as P-O-P. I've got 3 late offset wheels I'd be willing to trade for - get this - 2 early wheels. All three are in good condition. One has a tire on it (take or leave at your request). Any takers?

See photo below of late wheel (wrong offset) in front and early (correct) wheel on my car. And yes - that is my parking brake you see in the photo...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 02-23-2005 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:11 PM
MartinT
Pro

I have 2 early offset 15x7 phonedials and 2 15x6 phonedials, that I would like to sell. The 6" have good condition tires - Yokohama AVS Intermediate if memory serves
I have 15x7 in (correct) late offset on the car already, and a spare set for when I get around to buying snow tires.

I'd preffer to sell the early offsets, but am open to trades (wheels or other parts).

Scott or P-o-P let me know if you are interested

Martin T
Old 02-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MartinT
I have 2 early offset 15x7 phonedials and 2 15x6 phonedials, that I would like to sell. The 6" have good condition tires - Yokohama AVS Intermediate if memory serves
I have 15x7 in (correct) late offset on the car already, and a spare set for when I get around to buying snow tires.

I'd preffer to sell the early offsets, but am open to trades (wheels or other parts).

Scott or P-o-P let me know if you are interested

Martin T
Martin,

I'd be interested in a trade. Are your 15x6 wheels early offset? I don't want/need the tires. I'd be using these for winter or rally tires and have plenty of those here.

If you are up for the trade - what else would you need in addition to the three wheels? Does a 215/60R15 Kelly Springfield "Touring" tire (at least 75% tread) hold any value to you?

I'm not in any hurry on this. Let the talks begin.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Wouldn't 15x6s be too narrow for the front?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Wouldn't 15x6s be too narrow for the front?
For snow tires?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Hehe, no to fill up the wells properly. I thought the stock wheels were all 15x7 all the way around. taking an inch off would make it too narrow up there, wouldn't it?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Hehe, no to fill up the wells properly. I thought the stock wheels were all 15x7 all the way around. taking an inch off would make it too narrow up there, wouldn't it?
Depends on the offset and the tire. A 15x6 with an offset around 20-25 would be OK. Put a set of 205/60R15 snow tires on it and drive through a sloppy Michigan winter - nobody would be the wiser.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:40 PM
MartinT
Pro

P-o-P
The 6" were on the front of my 87 when I got it. I do not think they were stock on any 944. If memory serves I think they have a 911 number stamped on the back.

Scott,
Would you be interested in buying the 6"ers? I don't really have a use for more 15x7 late offsets, having 7 spares would be a little overkill. Also would save a shipping charge between us.

I'll still consider the trade, if thats the way we can make this deal work.

I will have to check what the offset of the 6" are, but it might take me until the weekend, they're in my girlfriend's mother's basement.

Any interest in the pair of early offset 15x7s
Old 02-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

It looks like you have put Fuchs on an 87... they are the wrong offset.
~Eyal
Originally Posted by BigRed
Let me get this straight...

Offset wheels mean that the wheels/tires will sit further away from the car with the same size rubber, right? I'm starting to think that my Fuchs are offset. I thought it was 7" in the front and 8" in the back...the back wheels have a one inch lip that the fronts didn't have...but the tires are the same size, so these are offset, correct?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

If you can get two more, sure. I dunno what I'd do with just two though, it'd be more stuff sitting around the garage until I could find two more.

Or I suppose I could just get those nice Kinesis Supercups that I was eventually going to get anyway. . .

Yeah right. That's a LONG way off - a reward for the Callaway project actually being done (after EVERYTHING else - engine, transmission, paint, everything). First it has to actually get done and there's that matter of the $3K or so those puppies are going to cost!
Old 02-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MartinT
P-o-P
The 6" were on the front of my 87 when I got it. I do not think they were stock on any 944. If memory serves I think they have a 911 number stamped on the back.

Scott,
Would you be interested in buying the 6"ers? I don't really have a use for more 15x7 late offsets, having 7 spares would be a little overkill. Also would save a shipping charge between us.

I'll still consider the trade, if thats the way we can make this deal work.

I will have to check what the offset of the 6" are, but it might take me until the weekend, they're in my girlfriend's mother's basement.

Any interest in the pair of early offset 15x7s
Martin,

Sorry I didn't reply yesterday. I tried - but my internet suffered a breakdown.

Yes - I am definitely interested in the 15x7s. I prefer those over any other option. Is there a chance you would agree to a trade for the 3 late wheels I have?

We can talk about the 6s, too. I would only use them for winter (or rally) tires if the price is right and the offset works for my car. As you note, they are 911 wheels. If the offset is small (~20mm), they should work just fine.

As for shipping - I'd rather try and meet up some where and swap. Any chance you'll be at 944fest? How about STPR (Wellsboro, PA) the first weekend of June?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:34 AM
MartinT
Pro

Scott, I'm sure we can work something out.

Doubt that I'm going to 944fest. Wellsboro is quite a distance from Philly, but will try an work things out to meet up then.

I'll find out the offset for you.

Martin

Quick Reply: Trade late offset 15x7 P.Ds for early offset