Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag/Trouble Light Reset ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 11:58 PM
dupeds
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag/Trouble Light Reset ???

My 1987 944Turbo dash ! Airbag /Trouble lights came on when I checked fuses not knowing the ignition was in the on position. In the K. Gross 944 FAQ electrical section #13 reset of this switch for 1988 and later 944 cars is explained , this involves grounding at a point under the dash in the passengers side. HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS PROCEEDURE AND/ OR ANY SUGGESTIONS TO GET THE IDIOT DASH LIGHTS OFF AGAIN. THANKS ALL, Ben
Old 02-22-2005, 12:01 AM
89PorscheTurboMobile
Instructor

I've done it several times.
http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-12.htm
Old 02-22-2005, 12:56 AM
dupeds
AutoX

Is the "Molex" connector located in the passenger under dash area above the glove box, should I take the glove box out. Actually I don't know what the hell a "Molex" connector is or what it looks like the diagram in K. Gross FAQ does not give much detail. Thanks Again
Old 02-22-2005, 10:31 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Molex is a big manufacturer that makes various electrical components - I use them for my wiring kits. I don't know if they actually make the plug in question but that is what everyone calls it.

I wouldn't pull the glovebox because there is an air hose connected to it and it is more work than you need to do to get at the plug. The "molex" plug has 3 wires going to it, flat retangular shape about 3/4" on the wide side and 3/16" thick. It is usually white nylon shaped like you see in the Clark's garage diagrams. And it just sorts of hangs there going nowhere. Get on your back with a light and look up behind the glove box next to the firewall. You will see it.

And pay attention to the grounding instructions and timing. If you are off by just a little on the 5 second marks it won't reset. Only good thing is you can keep trying over and over until you get it right.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:37 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The molex connector is right above the passenger footwell, and should have an orange triangle rubber piece covering it. No need to remove the glovebox at all.

I had no luck resetting my blinking airbag and (!) lights...but I made the rig Clark's garage suggests (alligator clip - wire - switch - wire). Very easy to do the reset procedure by yourself if you get a rocker switch instead of the push button recommended!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:49 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I wouldn't count on the plug having a cover, orange rubber or otherwise.

I never made up a switch gizmo though probably should of considering how many times I've had to reset the darn warning lights. Just make sure you have good ground - I usually clamp onto the negative on the battery as it is so close.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:28 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Clarks Garage site says the door latch works as a ground...and that's what I've been using to try and do the reset. Negative battery a BETTER ground, or same?

Any idea why my lights are blinking rapidly, as opposed to staying on??
Old 02-22-2005, 11:39 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

I don't know about the rapid blinking - that is the first time I've heard of that happening.

Door latch should be OK for ground but the battery terminal is better. I have a 6 foot long jumper wire and just attach to battery as it is right there in the LHD cars. Then you don't need to worry about paint or corrosion.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:55 PM
dupeds
AutoX

Default Airbag/trouble light reset ?

Thank you Iceman, and Andy K - Now at least I won't fool with the glove box removal and I have an idea as to what to look for on the Molex connector. Final hope is that the factory had the same configuration for the 1987 Turbos since this was the first year for the airbag (or bags). Thanks Again, Duped (Ben, Rye, NY)
Old 02-22-2005, 02:05 PM
dupeds
AutoX

IceShark, sorry about the user error, definitely NOT intentional. Dupeds

Quick Reply: Airbag/Trouble Light Reset ???