Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

foglights illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 11:43 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts
Default foglights illegal?

i've now been stopped twice by the local police - once in the M3 and once in the 944S - saying i cannot drive with the foglights on. i have not received a ticket, just a warning. but this is bordering on harrassment.

i know every state has different laws, but i'm wondering if anybody else has this problem.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:50 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were just driving with the fogs and park lights on then it was illegal. If you had your headlights on then I don't know what their problem is...
Old 02-20-2005, 12:13 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

headlights were on.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's crap. if foglights were illegal, they wouldn't be equipped on so many cars.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most states say that running the fog lights when the head lights are on high beams is against the law. but I have never heard of getting stopped for having the fogs on when the head lights are on low beams. As a point of reference, the fog lights should get turned off automatically when you hit the high beams.

I would call or visit a a local precinct and ask to see the specific statute/ordinance.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

look up the SPECIFIC laws of your state and county. go the the library or DMV and look it up, so that you know what you have and cannot have lit up, and if you are legal and get harassed, you can throw the book at the cop. Also, sometimes police confuse the foglights with the highbeams. (of course it is illegal in most places to drive around with your highbeams on with oncoming traffic..)

I drive around with just my fog lights and parking lights on, from dawn till dusk, and I've NEVER been hassled. I live in the city so even at night the foglight / parking light combo is enough to keep you visible. (Although I always put up the headlights when outside the city in the dark)
Old 02-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a point of reference, the fog lights should get turned off automatically when you hit the high beams.
That is the KEY phrase. As I stated, the officer probably thought your fogs were in highbeams, or that your headlights were on highbeam. All you have to do to stay legal is show him that if you flash your highbeams - the fogs go out!
Old 02-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Ive noticed that on my GTI about the fogs off when highbeams go on, but why is that??? The stock foglights barely do anything. (thats why i added a second pair down below...) Whats the big deal to have high beams on WITH foglights? More light the merrier! As long as no one is coming. Wouldnt you want to illuminate the immediate from and sides while the high beams illuminate at a distance???
Old 02-20-2005, 01:42 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had problems with lows and fogs, I did get stopped for fogs and marker lights tho, no headlights. I showed him they worked and he let me go.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:50 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I've never been stopped for fog lights, whether the headlights were on or not. Now, I have been stopped for driving with my headlights on, but that guy was just an idiot.

BB.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:02 PM
garthfan
Racer

Blue,

Most of these statutes have arisen because of folks who like to blind people as a way of either getting back at them for not lowering their beams to oncoming traffic, or to let someone know that you didn't like the way they passed you or otherwise "wronged" you. I guess the idea is that your high beams from the factory are "sufficient" to illuminate the area ahead of you so you don't need extra illumination.

Also, since they teach you that it is actually better to drive in dense fog with your low beams cutting under the fog -and since most foglights are positioned as low to the ground as possible for just that reason- they figure that you really just shouldn't have them on with the high beams.

The other point of contention -from the police point of view- is that most laws make little or no distinction between factory foglights and add-on foglights. So, while factory lights may be low-power/low-angle fixtures, a lot of aftermarket setups that are normally designed for off-road use are being put on street vehicles, angled rather high and wired into an independant toggle switch so that they work any time the driver wants. Hence, the apparent "need" for foglight legislation.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:19 PM
thesmokingman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Ive noticed that on my GTI about the fogs off when highbeams go on, but why is that???
My WRX did that do, until I re-wired it. I think it has to do with not overloading the stock wiring/electrical system.

My hids shutoff with the brights too, but I didn't re-wire those as the loads might be too high and melt stuff.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:20 PM
garthfan
Racer

As a footnote, I was searching the statutes for my home state (New Hampshire) and found that the law is as you guys were saying, i.e., foglights may come on with low beams but must extinguish with high beams and must be aimed at a certain maximum height, etc., etc..
Old 02-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a load of crap too. As far as I know you can burn the fog lights and the parking lights as well; I do it all the time. I'm not 100% on this but I believe the vehicle code says that vehicles at night or in rain must display "approved forward-facing white lights" or something to that effect.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:32 PM
garthfan
Racer

Yeah, Jeff, I think you're right to an extent. I'd have to research a bit more, but I think that as long as the foglights are factory installed and deemed legal during state inspection then they might be okay to use as a headlight replacement. But if I remember correctly, aftermarket foglights can only be used as a headlight replacement in the event that a plow or some other legal vehicle attachment renders the factory headlights useless. I'll look into it, but then again I can only tell you the laws of my own state. My next door neighbor's a cop; I suppose I can just ask him. lol

BTW Jeff, are you originally from New England???? Go SOX!

Quick Reply: foglights illegal?