Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any good reason to remove my airbag wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 01:18 AM
AZS2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any good reason to remove my airbag wheel?

My leather wheel wrap is f'd. I wouldn't mind putting an aftermarket momo or sparco on. But, I have an airbag wheel and my better judgement tells me its a bad idea to pull it. I will probably end up re-wrapping with an Alan Gunn kit, but....
Old 02-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you wear glasses? Do you like the idea of an explosive device in front of your face? No? the 86's don't have airbags... nothing wrong with them!

Do as you like.

The results of removing the airbag wheel will be an inop airbag system and a permanent "!" on the dash.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:08 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got into a wreck in my first car...airbag went off...my face didn't even touch it. my legs are so long i was sitting pretty far back, and the seatblet stopped me about 6 inches in front of the fully extended airbag...useless if you ask me
Old 02-19-2005, 05:17 AM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

any way to avoid that ! on an 87 and up? what is a good fitting wheel?
Old 02-19-2005, 10:51 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Airbags are more harm then helpful if you ask me.. and tell me you wouldnt want an interior that looks like this:

Old 02-19-2005, 10:56 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like what??

There is a write-up on how to properly bypass the airbag system so you don't get the lights (!)...search
Old 02-19-2005, 10:57 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh...you also need to remove the clockspring behind the wheel and convert your switch to a non airbag style so the horn will work.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:01 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have also heard that the passenger side airbag will break the windshield. If the drivers side is removed, is the other automatically disabled?
Old 02-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing to consider is how helpful a 20-year-old explosive device is going to be in a crash. I haven't seen any data on it, but I believe like anything else their effectiveness probably deteriorates over time. There may also be laws in your state regarding removal of OE safety equipment. I'd check it. Granted you might be able to get away with it, but you might not.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

I doubt the airbag charge would deteriorate any significant amount. As far as I know it's illegal to remove the airbags and there is a hefty fine involved. In some states you can get a disabler switch if you have a medical reason (height, osteoporosis.) However I believe you cannot remove them, just disable them with a switch when appropriate.

Whatever you do I would suggest keeping everything as intact as possible in case you have to put them back in for some state inspection or future sale of the car. What happens when you sell a car after having disabled a saftey system? You'd probably want to disclose that and get a release of liability from the new owner.

I have heard of people buying used cars that had the airbags blown and not properly replaced after a prior accident. I'd bet a shiny nickel that there have been lawsuits over injuries sustained in an accident when a saftey system had been compromised like that.

It's your car do what you want, but you might want to keep that in mind.
-Joel.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I doubt the airbag charge would deteriorate any significant amount. As far as I know it's illegal to remove the airbags and there is a hefty fine involved. In some states you can get a disabler switch if you have a medical reason (height, osteoporosis.) However I believe you cannot remove them, just disable them with a switch when appropriate.

Whatever you do I would suggest keeping everything as intact as possible in case you have to put them back in for some state inspection or future sale of the car. What happens when you sell a car after having disabled a saftey system? You'd probably want to disclose that and get a release of liability from the new owner.

I have heard of people buying used cars that had the airbags blown and not properly replaced after a prior accident. I'd bet a shiny nickel that there have been lawsuits over injuries sustained in an accident when a saftey system had been compromised like that.

It's your car do what you want, but you might want to keep that in mind.
I tell you why that is a bunch of guff:

The 944 was available from it's inception in the early 70's as the 924, to it's final day of delivery as a '95 968 with the option of NO AIRBAGS.

Why would disabling the airbag system and installing an aftermarket wheel be any less safer than having a 968 club sport with no airbags as an option from the factory??

It's one thing to re-install the stock airbag wheel and claim it has airbags, and then try to sell it with a disabled airbag system - but that it not the discussion here.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:15 PM
AZS2
Racer

I will probably just recover the stock wheel. But, I have a momo wheel laying around so all I need is the adpater and the justification. I have a hard time convincing myself its not a big deal to remove an airbag without a good reason. I realize there is alot of opinions about it. As far as whether its legal here or not, there are no car inspections and no-one polices car equipment here. (Except for emissions) I would put the car back to stock if I sold it.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I have a hard time convincing myself its not a big deal to remove an airbag without a good reason.
It's not a big deal. A lot of my fellow local 944/951 owners have a non-airbag aftermarket wheel installed, and they are surprised that I still have my stock steering wheels on my cars. (only because I am saving for a 968CS wheel..)

It's relatively simple to remove and re-install the whole system if you choose to sell. Just follow clark's garage instructions. And you can get rid of the "I" and "airbag" lights if you follow the instructions...

Again, do what you want.. if you really want a momo wheel installed, do it! Don't be deterred by the airbag system!
Old 02-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Do you track? Do you wear a full face helmet? SCCA released a statement that they do not recomend wearing a full faced helmet in a car equiped with airbags. The airbag is aimed at your chin, and when wearing a full face helmet, it can fracture your jaw. They say either remove the airbag, or dont use a full face helmet. I'm told their considering making it more then just a recomendation soon.
~Eyal
Old 02-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
I tell you why that is a bunch of guff:

The 944 was available from it's inception in the early 70's as the 924, to it's final day of delivery as a '95 968 with the option of NO AIRBAGS.

Why would disabling the airbag system and installing an aftermarket wheel be any less safer than having a 968 club sport with no airbags as an option from the factory??

It's one thing to re-install the stock airbag wheel and claim it has airbags, and then try to sell it with a disabled airbag system - but that it not the discussion here.
Sure, the airbags were added later, as were things like rear shoulder belts. I doubt the law will require us to put airbags into 1977 924's but it does not allow us to remove them from 1987 944's. The law does not have to make sense to be in force. Could you even get a 968CS in the USA?

I'm not saying having airbags is safer or less safe, or that the law makes sense. I'm just saying:

1) It's illegal to remove them in most (all?) states
2) It'd be wise not to (eventually) sell the car with a disabled saftey system
3) You could get sued, and possibly even lose an injury claim in an accident if you had removed a saftey system from your car.

If you do remove the airbags in your car I would strongly suggest reinstalling them in good working order before selling, or sell the car as a racecar (not street legal) and get the buyer to sign a release of liability. Just good common sense. You should at least be aware that it is illegal to remove them. You can say it's a dumb law but that does not mean it's not the law.

I say whatever, it's you car, do what you want. Just be aware of the law and the consequences.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Is there any good reason to remove my airbag wheel?