Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xpost: damn waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 08:26 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xpost: damn waterpump

my water pump is leaking, bad. it's been letting me know for a wile that it was going to happen, and it did.

need help, going to do it myself what should i need, complete parts breakdown, what should i buy and where.

TIA
Old 02-15-2005, 04:52 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as tools are concerned, here's a good place to start:

http://www.arnnworx.com/

Check the menu at the bottom left hand side, where it says "My Porsche 951 Project - water pump" for a complete write up with pictures.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:25 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

were can i buy a lower temp thermostat. do i use one or two.
sorry for the ignorance, but i've heard both versions
Old 02-22-2005, 05:36 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cantresjr
where can i buy a lower temp thermostat. do i use one or two.
You can buy the lower temperature thermostat at that aftermarket VW parts place (Autobahn, or something like that) on Avenida Galicia (take the eastbound Camporico exit off Baldorioty expressway, pass the Base Muñiz intersection, and hang a left).

I believe the lower temperature thermostat you want is the one they sell for VW Jettas and made by Wahler. It comes with a seal that won't work for your 951. You can also get the matching lower temperature thermoswitch from them (three prong). For some reason, the Porsche aftermarket parts place (Weissach) only sells the higher temperature units also made by Wahler, but you can get the correct thermostat seal from them.

If you're replacing the pump, your best bet is a new LASO unit from either Ian's Euro in Pompano or Vertex in Miami. Be sure to ask for the gasket. It's usually not included.

For more advice or if you need to take the car in, contact my mechanic, "Junior" at 787-761-2535. I don't think anyone in PR knows these cars like he does. Good luck!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:17 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Luis
Hey when aare you going to be back in the island. maybe we can have a couple of drinks

i already bought the punmp and belt kit from vertex. i'm going to eurobahn to check on the thermostat, is it the VR6 or 4 cyl engine.

i've heard about junior but im short on money so i'm doing this one myself. but i'll keep his number ready for the future.

thanks again
Old 02-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

You're welcome. Don't know when I'll be back in PR, but with the weather we have here now, I sure miss it!

Junior is usually very busy, but he's great at giving advice over the phone. He's probably the only mechanic I've ever met who will tell you how to do something over the phone.

I think the thermostat is the one for a plain Jetta. Again, Junior can tell you exactly which one. Don't hesitate to call him and tell him I referred you. He's a great guy.

Good luck!

P.S. If you know someone who wants a really cheap NA, my 83 is for sale (click on sig for pics). Not perfect by any means, but a solid driver with many new parts including clutch and working A/C. Asking $2,500 or best offer.

Quick Reply: xpost: damn waterpump