Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Once again, I ask for you help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Dalilean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once again, I ask for you help

As I once again I am forced change my status from a mere browser to a participant. Ok, in simple termes, something F***ed up in the 944 and I am over my head. I have 2 problems, one that has to be solved right away. I will atend the other prob on another thread so attention here is kept to this prob.

Pacient:
83' 944

1)Simptums (main prob):
For some time, my clutch pedal would tend to have a lot of free play. The pedal would "pop" from the upright position to mid range, then I would get pressure. When I got the clutch replaced, my mech adjusted the pedal. After a while it started again. Then it got a bit worse. After applying the clutch pedal, I had to tap it up to get it to the upright position.

On Thursday it died. The pedal dropped lower than usual. After a couple of minutes, with a pop, it just drop to the floor. The car ran but I could not get it to shift. My first thought was I busted the clutch cylinders (this happened to my Triumph once. Guess new master and slave cylinders are in order? Not so sure. When it happened to my Triumph, the clutch fluid just spilled out. What was weird here was that when I checked the liquid reservoir, it was full, nothing leacked out.

Although I love the way my mechanic works (now that sounded weird), he tends to be to busy to just drop the car of and ask him to find out what the car has and to get the parts. I usually go over with the parts and tell him what to fix. So, before I go out and spend a bunch of money in parts and it ended up being a simple screw loose, what do you guys think it is? What should I buy before going to the mech?
Old 02-13-2005, 10:47 AM
icat
Race Car

Most likely the slave cylinder, but replace them both. If one goes the other isn't too far behind. Have your mechanic check the hose as well. I replaced my slave, which fixed the problem (or so it seemed) for a day. Then had to put her back in for the master, at which time they noticed a slightly larger than normal hole in the line (not that any hole is "suppose" to be there - this one was just real big). Chances are it was the line all along.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:07 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

sounds like you need to either bleed the hydraulic lines or replace the master and/or slave cylinders. if it keeps happening then you have a leak like icat alluded to. i replaced the slave cylinder (pretty simple job) and had no problems since then.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like clutch hydraulic problems. I'd say replace the clutch master and slave cylinders and bleed the system.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, one if the mot valuable skills a mechanican can offer is the ability to accurately dignose a problem, so you don't pay for parts and work you don't need. Sounds like your guy isnt very good at this.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:15 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clutch line is a rubber hose -- I'd check that as well. Something similar happened to me once and had the rubber hose replaced with a stainless steel unit manufactured by a local hose guy.

Anyhows, have you tried clean up the area and locate the leak?
Old 02-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

Originally Posted by josephsc
Anyhows, have you tried clean up the area and locate the leak?
The problem is that there is no leak! That's what worries me. If there was a leak, that would be a simple identify and fix.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The master could be leaking inside the car. Look up under the dash where the actuator shaft passes through the firewall and you may see fluid staining there. However, the fluid could be leaking behind the sound deadening material there and you won't be able to see it very easily.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even though there's no apparent leak, the clutch cylinder may be scored inside and making the piston bind during operation.

If these units are original on the car, I'd say it's likely they've never been replaced. In 216K miles, the only problems with the clutch pedal in my 83 have either been the hydraulic cylinders (master and slave) or the clutch itself. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Even though there's no apparent leak, the clutch cylinder may be scored inside and making the piston bind during operation.

If these units are original on the car, I'd say it's likely they've never been replaced. In 216K miles, the only problems with the clutch pedal in my 83 have either been the hydraulic cylinders (master and slave) or the clutch itself. Good luck.
Well, since the clutch was changed... I guess I'll go for the cylinders.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really does have the symptoms of a hydraulic problem. If you haven't ever replaced the master & slave cylinders or don't know when they were replaced, it's a pretty good bet one or both are the problem. I'm on my 3rd set at 208K miles. I did once have to replace the hydraulic line which is part hard tubing part rubber hose. I think it's a dealer only item. If the line is leaking, it should be pretty obvious. It may not be obvious if the master or slave are leaking.

Quick Reply: Once again, I ask for you help