Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

<<<needs paxil(no offense)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 07:44 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default <<<needs paxil(no offense)

this is my very first "vent" or "rant" thread. i rebuilt my steering rack, which has been done for maybe 3 months or more now. the car has been sitting for about 6-7 months. i had my steering rack bolted up for about 2 months now. i have no idea how i did it, but i mustve bent the hard line for the steering rack that runs along the engine crossmember. i have tried for a rough total of 8-9 hours just to try getting my banjo bolt to line up with the hard line, and the rack. i have gone all the way to unbolting the front sway and removing the rack again to start with that bolt before anything else. I HATE THAT BOLT. it is sitting in my cobra right now(im going to get a longer bolt before heading to my garage to try to better my chances of lining stuff up), and i guaruntee that when i get in my car tomorrow, my radio will be stolen, or the seats ripped up, or my dash is kicked in....etc. i hate that bolt! i wanted to kick the crap out of my car, and i wanted to sell it for pennies and made me think of selling everything i have. i wish that cars had feelings, i would just sit in front of my car in the dark and bad mouth it till it cried for 6 hours straight. i know that tomorrow will be no different. first time ive used smilies too.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been there man, took laying under the car for about 2.5 hours to get it bent back into shape, you'll get it eventually i promise, it is one of the worst bolts to fool with on these cars!!!
Old 02-12-2005, 08:16 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

ive been readin gon the arnnworx site. for his rack rebuild write up, he states that the line im messing with is a return line, and it looks like he has a fitting that connects to a rubber hose. can i do this? is it safe since its a return line and shouldnt be under as much pressure(this is my theory, i have no clue)? can i just cut about an inch out of the retarded metal line, and clamp in a 2 inch piece of rubber so i can bend it how i need it? the reason this is pissing me off so much, is i still have a lot to do on the car, but this is preventing all the rest of the work from being done....i need to get the car done so i can start the body work and front mount i.c. on the svo.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep after it Kenny. Youll get it. It takes patience and torque and several attempts.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:38 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My return line has a rubber end with a banjo type fitting. Works just fine.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahhh.. the first time with that banjo bolt. I remember it well...

I believe the best way to get at that one is from under the hood. You can't see it but you can feel it and you get a bit better angle at it.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:06 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kenny... I guess you're talking about this one. On mine (85.5), there is a short little rubber hose (maybe 4 inches) that connects the fitting shown to the black steel line that crosses back over to the cooler loop. I think you are exactly right in that it is low pressure. The problem with cutting out an inch and grafting in a rubber connector is that your steel line won't have any sort of flare or resistance to prevent the rubber hose from pulling right off. Even a low pressure coupling to rubber hose should have that.

You're saying yours is a hard line all the way to the rack - just checked PET and sure enough the P-boys changed that as part of the 85.5 change. Todd or one of the other guys that are parting cars, could probably send you the later pieces pretty cheap. Put in a new piece of rubber and maybe some crush rings and you're good to go.
You have my sympathies - I did heater hoses today. Lets just say there was a good *** kickin nearby and leave it at that....;]
Old 02-13-2005, 12:27 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

yeah my problem is when i push them close together.....why arent they calready(?)....mine has a gap, and no matter what i was trying, they were still not getting parrallel or close enough for the banjo to start......im going to try to find a bolt the same size in my extras thats longer, then pull them together, and hold them together with maybe zipties or something, then replace the bolt with a banjo. i dont have money left to get more stuff. thank you all for the suggestions and help. thank arnworx for the good references.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Kenny- do we need to do a SOW intervention? I'm open next weekend.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:06 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

depends.....what do you guys do to people? i wouldnt want bad mouthed too bad. im thinking, after trying the longer bolt, if i do have to go with the rubber piece, can i just flare the tubing a little and clamp? would that be enough to hold it together? im going to be leaving in about 30 mins. and wont be back from working on it for maybe 8 hours......so no computer to ask on.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:49 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

alright im heading out.

Quick Reply: <<<needs paxil(no offense)