Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* Is it me or are Porsches subject to more accidents then most other cars? *

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 11:21 PM
ODUporschegurl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its def the area. i would know. the whole md/dc/va area is aweful. people round here drive like idiots and the roads suck. my first 944 was parked(in a driveway), got hit and totalled. the current one was hit at school while parked as well. only this time no one fessed up. my cars seem to def be a magnet. but it seems like all md/va people get in alotta accidents.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:28 AM
jinx099
Instructor

Damn Pat, that sucks! I hope it didnt damage your paint at all (like ham).

I've had my 944 less than a week and I've noticed that people like to tailgate me more now. Thanks!!
Old 02-11-2005, 02:44 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

hit at least 8 times in the ghetto I lve in. Both rear bumper pads are crap now. No compression of bumper shocks, just light hits that take advantage of the rusting bolts.

I used to park in front of Cabrini Green, Gangsta capital of Chicago when I was bartending. No damage or breakins ever in 3 years parking there... Since I moved to the High Falutin 'burb of West Chester my 924S has been broken into, window smashed, speakers stolen and it's been bumper tapped several times.

God I love Ohio. You cant get there from here.

JUST Try and get a drivers license.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:02 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I have had too many close(only because I am watching and can see with amazing insight what is about to happen)calls.
Two words.
Cell phones
Trucks(which also includes SUV's)insurance declaration not mine.

These have been responsible for 98% of my close calls.
And in TEXAS, trucks are dangerous. You can't see around them and they can't see you....although.

I was once in my 86 na and slammed on my brakes(the person in the new Ford expedition thing with half a truck bed dropped their phone and slammed on their brakes on a loose gravel road) only to hit the rear bumper of this car.(Porsche brakes are good, just not that good)

I have to tell you I got out expecting to see a smashed up front. Mine was pristine! That Ford bumper was smashed halfway up that faux trucks rear!

Now the person got out and I was ready to exchange insurance info...she just shook her head and not understanding english hopped back in and took off!

I was also in my 85 928s and was rear ended twice, both with zero damage(a minor scuff on my bumper pad) coincidentally both times the individuals took off, and I chased their rear ends down until they went in to the ghetto. For which I choose living over gunshot wounds. And I swear both times it was the same guy-same style car for sure!! The freaky thing was both times they were ultra slow impacts(5-10mph) I saw them coming and just let off the brake(again plenty of room in front of me so I could do that) smelled like a insurance scam or a drunk. But the way they tried to evade was not tipsy.

Then there was the one that finished off my 87na in amazing condition.
Classic three lanes of traffic and the two inside lanes let the idiot thru and here I come(well below the posted 45 speed limit) in the outside lane and she goes for it and I slam on my brakes. This time I did get damage. Enough that it rubbed down my tires and ate through my coolant hose. In insurance terms Totaled-but it allowed me entry into the exciting world of 951's.

I think that alot of it is the people staring at our amazing cars and not paying attention

But to answer your question...yes it sure seems that way!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:04 AM
Bii
Advanced

Here’s my opinion.

Many people today do not own (meaning lease) the vehicle they drive. These individuals (not all lessees but most) do not give a rat’s *** what they hit. The vehicle is fully insured and not theirs. You understand what this leads to…

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 06:04 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Accidents for me personally have gone down over the years ending with the lowest rates with my current Porsche. Of course when I started driving right after turning 16, me and all my friends seems to be getting in accidents. All the girls were getting into fender-benders and parking-lot incidents. Some of the guys, like me, would total their cars. Then I went for over 10-years straight without anything happening except for a ticket here and there. Then twice within 5 years, I fell asleep at the wheel while driving a rental car and completely total them! Good thing I paid for the extra insurance. However this last time I didn't have the liability insurance and the lady I rear-ended is taking me to the cleaners...
Old 02-11-2005, 11:15 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

I'm not such a fan of driving around baltimore. My girlfriend lives there so I'm up that way all the time. The drivers are terrible, people j-walk everywhere without even checking for cars, and I swear 2/3rd of the time I'm there every bird in the area targets my car to crap on.
One time I was up there for the weekend and there must have been 20-30 ****s on my roof and hood....and nothing on either of the cars around me. I don't know how that works out.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Classic three lanes of traffic and the two inside lanes let the idiot thru and here I come(well below the posted 45 speed limit) in the outside lane and she goes for it and I slam on my brakes. This time I did get damage. Enough that it rubbed down my tires and ate through my coolant hose. In insurance terms Totaled-but it allowed me entry into the exciting world of 951's.
In a similar situation a Suburban turned left through a line of stopped traffic - right in front of me. I was like Fred Flintstone with both feet through the floorboard, ABS pumping almost as fast as my heart. It was a remarkable stop. Of course, upon getting a glimpse of me, the Suburban stopped completely in my lane. I'm not overstating it when I say it was about a foot between us when I got stopped. I was thankful for 951 brakes that day.

OTOH, my Pathfinder has been hit at least four times while sitting perfectly still. In three instances the car that hit it took the damage. The brush guard is a little crooked now, but that's about it.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:54 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my 944 less than a week and I've noticed that people like to tailgate me more now. Thanks!!
I hadn't had mine for two months yet when I got rear ended. Out about midnight on the backroads (probably not the best time to be out cruising), get onto the highway to head back home, there were only three cars on the highway including me. All of us get off at the same exit, and it just happened that the guy behind me is drunk. First he stops about 6 inches from my bumper, and I scoot forward and the drunk follows but this time doesn't stop. No damage to his car, but now I have a snubbed rear.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:02 PM
chilix
Instructor

Well I have had too many close calls in the past. My scariest was I was in a left hand turn lane in traffic. I slow down to like 10mph in the lane. This is in heavy traffic. Well I suddenly see a pickup truck pull into the turn lane head on not slowing down. I'm being legal and I'm in the turn lane to tune left. I stop and look at the driver dead in the eye. Only 5 feet in front of me he pulls back into his lane now in front of cars he was behind. I was honking the horn and yelling at the driver like no bodies buisness. I was lucky. I couldn't go backward, left or right because there were cars all stopped. Actually there was a big red fire truck to my right. My car would have been screwed if I had got hit. The guy in the truck was going at least 40mph, I was at dead stop, there was a little old lady behind me in a caddy or lincoln, a fire truck to my right and cars to my left, and i was in the turn lane and no where to go but forward.

I got my car blessed by a priest and since then haven't had any close calls.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Weltweite
Advanced

2 weeks ago guy decides to cut me off in a parking lot. I t-boned him, but it was his fault so Im good to go.

Now im looking for another 944. Apparently they are going to total it.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:36 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, how fast was he going?
Total your car for a parking lot accident...
Old 02-12-2005, 09:51 AM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

Oh the humanity.... I'm thinking other cars (not just drivers) have an innate jealousy that turns to hostility when it comes to P-cars (you ever see Christine...). Don't make me tell the story of the two car accident that happened in my driveway between my wife's BMW (instigator) and my '85 NA (helpless victim). When I walked up to her window after I got done stammering "I can't belive you did that, I can't believe you did that..." my wife tearfully asked me what we should do... I told her that "divorce came to mind..."
Old 02-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Weltweite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zero10
Wow, how fast was he going?
Total your car for a parking lot accident...
he was going fast, but that didn't matter.

I had just made a turn into the intersection in first gear, which isnt very fast, and the rest is history.

The engine started smoking up, hood was smashed up, side fenders mangled, front bumper was pretty bad, engine started leaking powersteering fluid, motor oil and other stuff.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:26 AM
chilix
Instructor

Originally Posted by Weltweite
he was going fast, but that didn't matter.

I had just made a turn into the intersection in first gear, which isnt very fast, and the rest is history.

The engine started smoking up, hood was smashed up, side fenders mangled, front bumper was pretty bad, engine started leaking powersteering fluid, motor oil and other stuff.
if the chassis is good, some amount of money, i smell race car...if not, i bet there are a lot of good parts to save. It is very sad to see these old cars end their lives so awfully.

I smell race car...if the chassis is good...

I hope everything turns out in your favor

Quick Reply: * Is it me or are Porsches subject to more accidents then most other cars? *