Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hatch mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 04:16 AM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the lock mechanism, if you have a microswitch that is activated (or should be) when you turn the key, it works the same way as the footwell switch. Earlier cars had a mechanical release by key, electric motor by the the footwell switch. If every thing is adjusted right, the motor should only make one 360 deg. turn to release both sides. You might need to adjust the cable connection to the motor arm, but take is slow, too tight will stall the motor and maybe break something.

Try putting a couple layers of tape on the switch to help in close sooner, I'll bet the key will work every time.

For me the hatch pin adjustment is a balancing act. Short and tight, no squeaks but you have to lift the window after it is unlatched. Long and loose, the window will usually lift by itself but squeaks while driving. Some where in the piles of stuff I have read about these cars I came across a notice that Porsche gave up on the idea of the window lifting on its own, as originally intended.

Lou
Old 10-01-2005, 09:27 AM
gratian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about this:
Mine its easy to open by key, but the motor did not turn the latch. I try to turn the latch by hand and it is not possible, only with key in it, so i can open my hatch with electric motor only if i let the key in it...
Strange....
Old 10-01-2005, 10:17 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love old threads that just keep on giving!!

My advice for the "hatch motor turns, but the hatch is stuck" people: loosen the 4 nuts that hold the receivers onto the frame. Then, line up the holes so the receivers are smack in the middle when you look straight down at them. Then, tighten the 4 nuts back up--finger tight only. Make them as tight as you can using your fingers. Now, try the hatch motor again. If it works fine, either your receivers were out of allignment, or, on too tight!

Once you get the hatch opening OK, tighten the 4 receiver nuts, but only a hair more than finger tight.

Give it a try!

Quick Reply: Rear hatch mechanism