Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S2 Cab Roof Seals

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:58 AM
cacceser
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944S2 Cab Roof Seals

I am trying to find a part that has been discontinued from Porsche. It
is:

941-561-51710

It is a seal between the convertible top and the side window for a 1990,
944S2 Cab. It is important that it is for a 1990 and not a 1991
(the 1990 seal is a slightly different shape and has a covering of
nylon-like material over the rubber seal).

I have confirmed with three different Porsche dealers that Porsche no
longer has this part (they were surprised, as it's the first 944 part
that Porsche apparently no longer supports that they know of). I have also tried Pelican Parts, SSF, and IMC.

This is the last seal I need before I replace my top. I am trying to purchase a new seal rather than a used on.

Does anyone have a possible source for this part?

Greatly appreciate any help.

- Rich C.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:13 AM
ckathens
Drifting

This really surprises me. I thought the Cab seals were the same for all the S2's and 968 Cabs. I was just looking at the Tweeks magazine today and it had the same part # for that seal for all 944/968 variant cabs.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:40 AM
cacceser
6th Gear

I can't speak for the 968's, but in 1991, Porsche made a slide change to the angle of the edge of the side windows. (The edge is not as sharp as before, so there is a wider, flat area sealing between the glass and the rubber.) When they did this, the seals no longer needed the nylon covering on them (they tend to fray with age).

Chances are, a 1991 seal would be close enough, but I have 3 new seals for the roof with the nylon and I like to find the fourth that matches.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:25 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Rich! It's great to see you on here!

Last year I refit my 90 S2 cab top with new seals and, as I understand it, these two parts are interchangeable. I realize you have 3 of the nylon kind, but perhaps you could exchange them somehow?

The best prices in the U.S. were from Sunset Imports, but I ended up sourcing most of the seals locally at my dealer in Spain for about the same cost.

I believe the part you are referring to is the big inner "L" shaped seal. In that case, I found the best price anywhere for this part at Performance Products:

Window to Top Seal, Inner, L 9 - $106.95 (Catalog No. 912358)
Window to Top Seal, Inner, R 9 - $106.95 (Catalog No. 912359)

HTH
Old 02-04-2005, 12:08 PM
ckathens
Drifting

WOW Luis, thanks for the link.. I was looking at twice that price for the same part from Tweeks or MidAmerica...
Old 02-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ckathens
WOW Luis, thanks for the link.. I was looking at twice that price for the same part from Tweeks or MidAmerica...
You're welcome. Unfortunately, those are the only 2 seals available from that vendor. All the other seals I had to source elsewhere.

I put together a spreadsheet with all the part numbers and different pricing I was able to find from vendors in the U.S. PM me your address and I'll E-Mail it to you, if you want it.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

Luis, could you PM me with the spreadsheet at well. Pretty please.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Lumbergs, I'm not sure I can attach an Excel file to a PM. PM me your E-Mail address and I'll pass it on to you!
Old 02-05-2005, 02:15 AM
rehansamee
Advanced

Hi Rich

I changed all 4 seals on my 1990 cab last year and faced the same problem -- that the fabric covered seals were no longer available. I was concerned about the fact that the window edges on my car might be too "sharp" and cut into the seals, but my fears were put to rest by a technician at the OPC here in Dubai. This guy only works on cab tops and he assured me that with periodic conditioning of the seal there would be no appreciable difference in the life span of the seal.

Based on his advice, I bought all 4 seals (used) from a company in Europe called Manfred Freisinger (email: info@m-freisinger.de ). The used seals cost me EUR 310 for all 4 -- new ones were EUR 610 at the time. The seals were in excellent condition. You may want to check with them if they have any "old" style seals or if they may be willing to swap your seals for the "newer" style, as Luis has suggested.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rehan
Old 02-10-2005, 12:47 AM
cacceser
6th Gear

Thanks for all the help. Just got back on line after some computer problems.

Luis: please e-mail the spreadsheet when you get a chance.

caccese@***.net

Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:02 AM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 19 Posts

email is

s2cabrio@optonline.net

Thanks luis
Old 02-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

E-Mail sent, fellas.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:24 AM
eshane
Instructor

Hey Luis,
How about a little credit for research for me?
Old 02-12-2005, 09:39 AM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

I'm really glad to see this string as my top (original) has never fit just right. The windows do not seal (and I even raise them before closing the doors) to the top and there is a 1/8" gap. That results in intermittent drips while parked but does not leak at speed ("but officer, I was just trying the keep the water out...").

Also when I close the top the guide points (lack of better term) do not lign up to allow the top just to drop in so I have to get out and manipulate them a little before locking them down. Can you guys close/lock yours without getting out? It works for now and I live in AZ so the rain isn't usually a weekly thing but even thought I bought it @ 29K miles just 6 months ago, I'm likely looking at a new top. How much $$ have you guys seen and is it a factory only replacement? I've heard $1500 +/-. Chris

BTW, I'm @ chris.swatty@apollogrp.edu, Luis can I get one of those spreadsheets as well???
Old 02-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Chris, it sounds like your top frame may be misaligned. Do you have a 944 cabriolet tech supplement? They come up periodically on eBay. There are some detailed diagrams and instructions in there to realign the top frame.

The windows should not be raised before closing the top -or at least the mechanism leaves the windows down to preserve the seals and window regulators. In the cab tech supplement it explains that the windows are adjustable. Perhaps yours just need readjusting.

The seals really shouldn't need replacing unless they're visibly worn and falling out or separating from the rails in the top frame. I'll E-Mail you the spreadsheet as well.

Chip, I don't remember if I got some prices and part numbers from you way back when I was putting together this spreadsheet. If so, I apologize for not mentioning that in this thread. I just can't recall.

Quick Reply: 944S2 Cab Roof Seals