Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a block

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 10:34 PM
tod84944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cylinder looks to be in good shape. I keep oil sprayed in all 4 to keep them from getting scored. The car had 130k on it. I don't know what year this engine is. It has the block # on the back, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a early block???
Even if it is a early block with the forged pistons and rods, I need to get it out of the garage. I need the room for the 86 that I'm presently parting.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:42 PM
timo944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 88 is stripped down completely but I have all parts. However, I stole the tensioner to replace the one in my current race motor (can you believe that when I got that one the tensioner was missing the spring???).

The motor was completely prepped to stock tolerances by Grimes racing in ATL. Price depends on how much of it you want. To make it work with your crank and balance shafts, all you NEED is the cage that holds the crank, and the balance chaft covers. The parts form any other motor should work. There is nothing special about the '88 other than compresion ratios and the tensioner (I think). The balance shaft housings changed at some point too.

All of the passages in the block will need to be throuroughly cleaned to make sure there is no residual metal in there. I cleaned it with water, but it shoudl be done again.

I have no idea of the value. Shipping from ATL to VA would be a bear, but I travel up there occasionally so could deliver if you are close to Lynchburg, or Richomnd/Norfolk area.

Let me do some research this weekend and see exactly what I have. Also, tell me how much you want to do. Are yo OK building it up yourself?

timo
Old 02-03-2005, 08:06 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Timo I would mainly be interested in the bare block, crank girdle, balance shaft covers and maybe the pistons. As you said I can use the rest of the parts from my block. Can I use the manual tensioner from the '83 or are the holes different on the '88 block? Let me know how much you want for those parts.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 PM
timo944
Instructor

I don't know about the tensioner - maybe somebody here can help.

I'll figure a price for you tomorrow.

timo
Old 02-04-2005, 12:03 PM
timo944
Instructor

OK, did some research:

The 88 is more valuable than the 86 because it is the same block as the turbo. Note that it has no head studs. I was advised locally that if I were to sell it for anything less than $700 I could drive it over to them and they would take it. The fact that it has been machined adds to the value, but I would not add to my price. I can deliver if you can wait until I have business in the area.

The 85.5 may be more palatable to you. This motor was running (really well) when I removed it from the car. It is currently assembled with water pump, balance shafts, oil pump, oil cooler, complete bottom end. I have the rest of it (cyl head, etc) but it's all off the motor. This motor was completely rebuilt by me in 2002. I replaced all of the bearings, the rings, and all seals. It was not machined, but it ran great. This I will sell for $700 as is. It may be a better deal for you since it is rebuilt and ready to go. The tensioner would certainly not be an issue on this motor. It's too heavy to carry to you so unless we can find a traveller I would need to ship it. Note that you may have some local racers coming to Road Atlanta in the spring who could carry it back for you.

let me know if interested, send me your email address and I can send you opics. My email is timo@mindspring.com
Old 02-04-2005, 01:15 PM
9five1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Danny!! Why didn't you say something? I've got a fresh block for you, and all of that pesky silica has been ground off by one of the best machine shops in the area... When you lighten the cylinder walls it makes the car go faster!

Here is a picture, sorry, you will have to get your own booze.. I drank all that after I realised my machine shop wasn't going to pay for their mistake.

Quick Reply: Need a block