Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key won't turn :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 02:30 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key won't turn :(

Car has been sitting for about a week and a half. Temps gone from 13-50 and back again a few times.

Started OK the first time, took a bit of wiggling on the key to get it to turn, but was able to get it to move without too much effort and no cracking sounds (at least that I heard). Started well, a bit slow, but I was fully expecting to have to jump it.

Replaced the headlight relay while the car was running (but headlights off). Turned it off, then when I tried to turn it on again, the key wont budge. It's like the steering wheel has been turned to that lock position, but I've turned the wheel back and forth and the key still wont turn.

Any suggestions ?
Old 01-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

I was gonna suggest the wheel lock, but if that didn't work I'm stumped...
Old 01-29-2005, 02:45 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

I have a constant problem with my ignition key also. I always have to jiggle it, turn the steering wheel, and even then it's hit and miss. I'm wondering if a new lock cylinder would help or not. It would be good if the dealer can match the lock cylinder by vin number, I don't have the key ID tag anymore which would make it so easy.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you pull the key out? If you do, try putting ground pencil lead (graphite) on the key blade and lubing the lock cylinder that way. I've seen people have great results with this! Otherwise, WD-40 is a good start.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:16 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts

You can get dry graphiite lube (DGL) in a can and spray some in there. I wouldn't reccomend putting liquid lube in there.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:50 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Whats the underlying problem ? Is there a linkage from the steering wheel hat gets sticky ?
Old 01-29-2005, 04:05 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2Tight
I have a constant problem with my ignition key also. I always have to jiggle it, turn the steering wheel, and even then it's hit and miss. I'm wondering if a new lock cylinder would help or not. It would be good if the dealer can match the lock cylinder by vin number, I don't have the key ID tag anymore which would make it so easy.
i started having same problem after a new key was cut. sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. i just turn the wheel and turn the key from left to right with very little pressure and the key turns. I'm thinking worn pins or its differences in the key cut.??
Old 01-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's really bad, you need to replace the ignition lock cylinder. This happened to my 83. It's still a good idea to try the graphite first, though. It seems to work very well.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:29 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2Tight
I'm wondering if a new lock cylinder would help or not. It would be good if the dealer can match the lock cylinder by vin number, I don't have the key ID tag anymore which would make it so easy.
Very easy for a locksmith to re-key the ignition to your key.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

Anyone know who sells the graphite lube? mines a little hard on turning too
Old 01-29-2005, 04:44 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

What could happen to go so suddelnly from working fine to nothing ? Is it possible for anything to freeze ?
Old 01-29-2005, 04:45 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
If it's really bad, you need to replace the ignition lock cylinder. This happened to my 83. It's still a good idea to try the graphite first, though. It seems to work very well.
Unfortunately I'm past the graphite stage, that did nothing except make my fingers black. I've swapped enough lock cylinders on the 83 and have always found if I hit them with PB Blaster and blow them dry with compressed air they hold up really well. I usually use a dry-lube silicon spray after I have them all cleaned up for reinstall. I've always felt that WD-40 is terrible for external cylinders, it attracts way too much dirt but works well in the short term until it gums up again. Actually I'm swapping door handles on the 83 right now putting the best lock cylinder from the passenger side on the new drivers door handle.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:27 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

I've realised something else - I can turn the steering wheel a fair bit back and forth and it never locks in place. I can't remember 100% if it did that before, but don't most cars lock the steering wheel if you turn it past a certain point with the ignition off ?

Makes me suspect a linkage has broken or something thats not locking the wheel, but making the switch think it's always turned. Anyone know if that's a mechanical or electrical connection.

Anyone know of any tutorials on removing the ignition switch ?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:55 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

mroberts, the steering wheel should lock. Sounds like the tumblers are gummed up. Maybe 2Tight can tell you how to remove the ignition switch.

TheStig, try a hardware store, Home Depot, etc. for graphite. Probably any place that cuts keys.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:21 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

I'm really not familiar with the newer 85.5 ignition switch and housing. The early cars are 1-piece and quite different. I'm pretty sure that the lock cylinder housing has to be drilled at a particular spot to release the lock cylinder with a pin inserted in the hole. This true for both styles. The steering lock bar is mechanically retracted by turning the key to the right. When you turn the car off the bar is released and waits for the steering shaft detent to line up. The ignition switch comes off with a single screw. It might be easier to just buy a used housing with a working lock and key. Unless you have your key ID number you are going to get a different lock cylinder than the rest of the car anyway.

I'm not sure if it helps but here's a scanned shot of what's needed on the 85.5 to 87 model to get the lock cylinder out.

Quick Reply: Key won't turn :(