Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking antifreeze:seems to be fixed. thanx for help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 05:00 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking antifreeze:seems to be fixed. thanx for help!!!

hello everyone

my car dumped some coolant at Albertson's tonight so I (having no light opted to just buy some antifreeze and limp it the (short/5 blocks) back to my dorm.

anyways, made it home ok, didn't even get too high on the temp gauge. I can't really do anything as far as troubleshooting/repair right now b/c it's a starless/moonless night and i see anything under the hood.

for now; i'm just wondering how much antifreeze does my (1983 x44) hold? what would it be leaking from on the drivers side, toward the rear of the engine bay? (I thought the heater core was on the passenger side...but never dealt w/ that)

TIA

Last edited by porschefig; 01-31-2005 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 gallons, and I'm geussing the head gasket, maybe the heater core, or the lines leading to said heater core. under the air intake there is a funny lookin little spout thingy with a sensor in it that has vacuum lines goin into it. That funny lookin thing goes from the engine to the heater core via a rubber hose.

Usually if the heater core itself died, you'd have damp, slightly green carpet...
Old 01-28-2005, 05:13 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Check your heater control valve on that 83. It's right between the firewall and centerline of motor. Hopefully it's a hose somewhere else, not so encouraging though is, if the valve failed or cracked, it probably dumped gobs of coolant through the sensor hole at the bellhousing onto you clutch. It doesn't take too long for your clutch to start slipping and your pilot bearing to start squealing when that area takes a good soaking. Hopefully it's just a hose somewhere else and you will dodge a bullet.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:49 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

my biggest problem is that my car is on a campus parking lot and i basically have no tools. Considering I'm in MT my biggest fear is that it'll get really cold and my car will be void of antifreeze and I will have a giant frozen paperwieght for an engine

I'll try clark'sgarage and look for that heater control valve as I have no idea what it looks like. Once again, my biggest problem is lack of equipment and unpredictable MT weather.

Any suggestions on how to get under the car to start working. That scissor jack is plain frightening. Now that it's day time again I'll ask friends if they have jacks/stands/tools.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:56 PM
jenket944
Pro

If the coolant tank has a crack in it, that would leak out somewhere on the driver's side, may even make it's way back toward the firewall. I discovered a hairline crack in mine that ended up dumping coolant at the rear of the tire well...how it was getting back there I'll never know. Just something to consider.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:00 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

ooooooooooooo....... Brian, you might be my new friend. It was very, very dark last night so I couldn't see where it was leaking from exactly. However, I did notice that it was wet on the inside of the wheel well........
Old 01-28-2005, 06:07 PM
chregan
Intermediate

Even if you lose all your antifreeze, your engine won't solidify as long as you don't refill it with just water. The mixture keeps the coolant from freezing and cracking the block. Antifreeze doesn't do anything else to the motor. An empty block will just get cold.
Check the hoses and the heater valve behind the motor. A big leak should be easy to find once you get some jack stands. Don't use the scissor jack to support it!!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 06:27 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

I tried taking some pics but the sensor mount covers everything up so you can't really see the valve. The HCV is right under the sensor bracket with the zip-ties and a bit to the passenger side shown in the pic. It has a hose coming in and out and a control wire attached to a short plastic arm. Please no comments on the zip-ties or oil leaks. I just got the car back for a month from my son and have a full list of things to fix.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:37 PM
tod84944
Drifting

On the drives side of the engine, toward the front. Right under the intake boot, you will see 2 sensors srewed into the block. IF, one of those leaks, it will down toward the back of the motor, and will run down the side of the block near where the oil filler cone bolts on. The frist sensor, with the plug on it, is the temp sensor for the dme. The second sensor, with just the one brown wire with a female spade on the end, is for the temp guage. Make sure that it is not leaking there. Just to make you feel better
YOU DON'T HAVE A BLOWN HEAD GASKET
YOUR MOTOR DIDN'T FREEZE TO DEATH
YOU STILL HAD ANTIFREEZE IN THERE
Todd
Old 01-28-2005, 06:42 PM
tod84944
Drifting

I forgot, he (jenket) is correct in telling you to check the coolant jug. You also have a overflow on the coolant jub. It is the little rubber line coming off of the neck. It just dumps on to the ground if the car is too full.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey there, I just realized you're in Great Falls, MT. I am making a trip down there next saturday (8 days from today). If you're still having issues, I'll give you a hand, otherwise I always like to see other 944's, especially when I'm driving my subaru.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:22 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Zero10- Sorry, I'm in Bozeman, MT for College. I'd love to meet ANYONE on the 'List. I see you were helping me on Pelican as well, I'm glad I know you!!!! Any chance you're passing through Great Falls on your way to Bozeman????? Actually, next saturday I'll be in Helena at Gaurd drill......

I NEED this to fixed so I can go to drill.

I have some pictures..... I think Jenket was right.

Todd: thanx , I know it didn't freeze to death. I'm just freaked, b.c. well, I love my car and I need my car. I'll check those sensors here in a bit. Thanks again!!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Zero10
Race Car

I'm not sure where Bozeman is, or Helena... I guess I could look it up, but I'm sure I'll get a better answer from you

If Bozeman isn't far from Great Falls, I could go a bit farther and stop in.

I posted on Pelican, then thought 'Hmm, sounds familliar, I'll check Rennlist', and I figured you'd probably check here first.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:39 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Helena is 90 miles further. Bozeman is quite a bit more. How long will you be in MT???

My cousin lives in Calgary BTW. Um, I don't have any "planned" events, on any weekends, except the first of the month, where I go to Helena and work on Chinooks.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:12 AM
Zero10
Race Car

The original plan was to be in MT for around 8 hours, lol, including time on the interstates.
Guard drill?... Me confused

Helena isn't that much farther, let me see if I can talk my GF into coming along the extra 90 miles. At the moment, she's the limiting factor

Your cousin lives in Calgary, that's pretty cool, he knows where the good cities are :P

Quick Reply: leaking antifreeze:seems to be fixed. thanx for help!!!