Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 05:49 PM
BigRed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signals

My turn signals don't work. The fuse isn't blown, but they don't work...the green indicator light is constantly on when the turn signal is activated.

My first thought was that it was the relay. When I took the relay out, it was a Bosch, but it also said Toyota on the side!!! What the ??!!??!!

Then I read this: "With a little electrical troubleshooting, I found that the horn contactor (a part of the turn signal switch) was missing."

Now my horn doesn't work either...not because of what you think...but because I took the fuse out on my own. The contactor is in constant contact, so when there is a fuse in the horn slot, the horn sounds constantly, so I took it out. Could this fuse be my problem? Is my turn signal problem related to the horn?
Old 01-27-2005, 05:52 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

I thought my blinkers went out, but my emergency flashers button was the culprit. They weren't actually ON, the switch just wasn't pushed ALL the way back into the off position. It was on a fun run too. How annoying.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:29 AM
lilredpo
Pro

I'm Interested to watch this thread as it develops.

Niether my left front directional or horn are working. (checked fuses & bulb).

Going to troubleshoot this weekend, but from what I've researched here, sounds like the ground in the steering wheel, ground at the horn, or the horn itself and the light has it's own issue unless it shares a ground as it is located next to the horn.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Ray
Old 01-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Check the relays in the box under hood near the firewall on the driver's side. Its the one above fuses 11 and 12. Pelican sells one for about 24 bucks, if not the dealership, or if you are lucky its a generic relay that can be had from pep boys or autozone.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:11 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The turn signal relay is likley the problem, i had the same problem on my 944 with the indicator lighting up solid along with the hazard relay. I replaced the relay with one from a parted 944 and everything worked fine again. The reason your relay likley said Toyota on it is because the turn signal relay is a generic fit and was probably changed sometime in the cars history.

As for the horn problem, you may want to remove the steering wheel and check the spring contacts on the horn pad, they may be stuck. You will require a 26mm or a 15/16th socket with a 6 inch extension.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Relays- Test the relays.. Swap them with a known good unit if possible to rule this out (Easy but you'll need another fully functional 944 for a while.)

Grounds.. check your grounds. With marginal voltage many things work funny or do weird things.

No horns? check the connections, and the horns themselves- to see if they have rusted out.

All Horns- Yep- pull the steering wheel. The finger is stuck to the contact ring. Look to see if a foreign object has it wedged up against the contact ring.

Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2005, 09:37 AM
BigRed
Pro

Thanks guys. I was hoping it was only a relay. Anyone got a turn signal relay you want to sell...or perhaps donate to the cause?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

BigRed, you can try finding the relay at any autostore in your area. Im pretty sure its not a Porsche specfic part. It should not be too expensive either.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:28 AM
elf89
Pro

Mine did the exact same thing, and it was the flasher relay. Indeed, these are standard flashers that you can get at any auto parts store for $10, but I'd caution against that. I picked up a generic one at Autozone and it definitely fixed the problem, but it caused the signals to blink at different rates on either side. I took it back and the guy blamed it on my car and said it was impossible for the relay to cause that. He still gave me my money though.

Interestingly enough, I put the old flasher in and it started working perfectly. So the first thing you may want to try is pulling the relay, tapping it, cleaning the contacts and reinstalling. That might get you by for awhile.

It started acting up again so I bought an OEM relay from the Porsche Dealer. It's a VW part so it was only mildly, not ungodly, expensive. $35. That solved the problem for good.

The $10 Autozone flasher might be a cheap test to confirm the relay is the problem. Just bring your relay in, match up the prongs and the electrical markings and see what happens. Maybe it'll work fine in your car. Good luck.

And if your turn signals don't reset, check this out!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:51 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

replace the column switch if horn and blinkers are not working... Just did mine last fall.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:52 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

It is sometimes called the combination switch. I got mine "like new" on ebay for 35.00

Last edited by 944_S_TYPE; 01-28-2005 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-2005, 07:04 AM
AGD931
Track Day

I had exactly the same problem with left hand indicator in my 931. I took it to the Porsche dealer and they diagnosed a break in the wiring loom from the fuse box to the unit itself. The break in the loom was somewhere behind the dash. To repair the loom was very expensive, so the workshop that normally services the car, ran a new jumper loom from the wing mounted indicator repeater (the car is Euro spec) to the indicator itself. Problem solved.

Arthur
Old 02-03-2005, 04:51 PM
BigRed
Pro

I've got relays coming in the mail. I'll update if this works ...or doesn't .
Old 02-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Clowd
Pro

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
The turn signal relay is likley the problem, i had the same problem on my 944 with the indicator lighting up solid along with the hazard relay. I replaced the relay with one from a parted 944 and everything worked fine again. The reason your relay likley said Toyota on it is because the turn signal relay is a generic fit and was probably changed sometime in the cars history.

As for the horn problem, you may want to remove the steering wheel and check the spring contacts on the horn pad, they may be stuck. You will require a 26mm or a 15/16th socket with a 6 inch extension.
Yep.. I had this problem when I got my car, turn signals/hazards just lit up solid, I got a relay from NE Foreign Auto Parts for $11 and it worked fine again.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:58 PM
my87944s
Racer

Hey, is there a blinker CHIME that can be added, or WAS there one stock on these cars? Since my new steering wheel went in, my turn signals do not cancel and it seems I drive around half the time with them on.

Quick Reply: Turn Signals