Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to paint rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best way to paint rims?

I have got an extra set of D90's and Phone Dials. I have decided that I am going to paint both of these rims (diffrent colors) but I was wondering if normal paint like you shoot on a car is the best way or maybe powdercoat the wheels? Also what do you think the cost of paint job would be?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maaco will paint wheels for around $25 each, but you have to pay to get your tire removed/installed and aligned as well.
Powdercoating will be the "better" route, and some shops charge around $70/wheel.
Or, you can go the ghetto route (like I did), and paint the wheels with some wheel paint available at Autozone, Pepboys, etc. The cans of paint cost about $5 each, and you won't need more than 3 cans of paint, and 2 cans of clear. The wheel paint looks great after 6 months, worth a shot..
Old 01-25-2005, 10:11 PM
my87944s
Racer

DO NOT GO TO MAACO to paint wheels!!! I did this once and decided that I could do a better job with a rattle can.
I had them painted and baked. Cot me $40 each... they told me to wait three weeks to mount the tires. I did... when the tires were mounted the wheels chipped/flaked and basically came apart.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:12 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

I used the rest of the paint left over from painting the car so I did my fuchs to color match the body now. Oh yea did I say it was the rare red option paint of the 86 cars It was PPG paint what I used.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by my87944s
DO NOT GO TO MAACO to paint wheels!!! I did this once and decided that I could do a better job with a rattle can.
I had them painted and baked. Cot me $40 each... they told me to wait three weeks to mount the tires. I did... when the tires were mounted the wheels chipped/flaked and basically came apart.
Most wheels with new paint will chip when they are mounted unless you take it to a machine that does not come into contact with the edges/face of the wheel.
I'm pretty sure Matt while chime in, but IIRC, Goodyear has those machines needed to mount the tire to the wheel without scratching off the paint.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:45 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I painted the Jetta/Miata wheels last summer using dupli-color wheel paint. I also just sent an email about this to a friend who's considering painting the wheels on his WRX, so I'll just copy-n-paste in the name of laziness.

When I prepped them, I cleand them with a degreaser and washed them, and then I scrubbed them with SOS pads. That seemed to scuff it enough, plus I wasn't about to spend an extra fourteen weeks scuffing BBS wheels with sandpaper.

Once they were clean, I used a self-etching primer (don't remember if it was epoxy or not) and duplicolor wheel paints. I'm not as big a fan of the duplicolor silver since the flakes are a lot bigger and make the silver a bit "darker", but since it's actual wheel paint, I'd deal with it.

I painted the outside lip first, and then used an acrylic liquid mask (bought at your friendly hobby shop) for the lip between the silver and black. Then I used tape to cover the rest of the silver. Once I had the black center done, I covered the whole thing with gloss-coat, although it's still only a semi-gloss finish.

Fortunately, I had a spare wheel to practice on, so I had the bugs worked out when I did the job, and it was actually fairly easy, with the hardest part being getting paint in between all of my spokes and applying the mask (just making sure I got a constant line).

It has held up very well, except around the lug nuts. If your lugs are recessed (I think they are on the WRX, they certainly aren't on mine because the wheels are supposed to have lug covers) it isn't likely to be notices, although be carefeul when putting the socket in there to loosen/tighten them.
Fishey, since you are also a member of Ricecop, you can view my two links on the subject with their pictures. Not that they give any new significant information, but there might be some details in there that I omitted.

http://www.ricecopforums.com/showthr...light=paint%2A
http://www.ricecopforums.com/showthr...light=paint%2A

I don't know if you are considering doing black with a silver lip like I ended up doing. If so, the liquid mask was perfect for the task. If not, well, disregard that whole portion. I also had a minor scratch on one wheel during installation. That was done by my P-mechanics, so a regular schmoe would probably have chewed 'em up.

Anywho, here's a photo of the practice wheel when I was done.

Hope this helps.

BB.

Last edited by BeerBurner; 02-07-2023 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

With proper technique, you can do an amazing job with a rattle can. Most importantly, spend a lot of time sanding the wheels. Go from 600, 1000 to 2000 grit. Then cover the wheels with light coats of paint. Wait a couple of hours and hit it with clear.

Careful sanding and light coats will get you amazing results.

This is my 2nd time ever painting something. I don't possess any painting skills and this is what I was able to do. Patience!
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2005, 11:16 PM
faithless
Pro

I would go for a powdercoat hands down for durability. If you're seeking a less than standard color, such as matching the rims to the color of the body, that would be much much more expensive. Powders can't be mixed the same as liquid.

Powder is great because it involves no clear coating. In the curing process, the powders fuse and form a glaze that is uniform and very hard. Thus you wont have any clear coat chipping/orange peeling.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:47 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I started painting my supercups with duplicolor - quickly realized I wanted an awesome mirror finish and durability. Powdercoated the whole set and a set of centercaps for 280. Well worth it IMHO.

(I called my bodyshop to see if they wanted to do them, and they said Nope..It wont last - Powdercoat them.)

What I had to work with: (not pretty in person)

wheel #1, paint was too thick, color was too dark for me.

Powdercoated - Yes!!

and on edit: for the Porsche I powdercoated, but Im getting ready to strip one rover wheel and Ill prob just do it by rattlecan. Heck it has 5 wheels so the one I paint will be hidden by a tire cover anyways
Old 01-26-2005, 12:09 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i use actual car paint w/ base /clear and have not had a problem, my black wheels, my track wheels and andys black cars wheels...
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan painted my phonedials white for me, and they are working great, using like he said just regular car paint, base/clear, they are easier to clean than any wheels i have ever owned, and they always look great, no chipping. I'd go with that route if I were you, otherwise you will not be happy!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:41 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah, I totally agree its possible and knowing Dan his method will work awesome. Definately the cheaper/better solution if you are good with prep/sanding and if you can clear them so they last.

For me my options were taking them to Dan () lor powdercoating them...powdercoating them was the way I went because of the mirror finish I saw examples of and the exact color I wanted.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:39 AM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gold cookies

here are my gold cookie cutters.....since this phot was taken I did the centercaps
Old 01-26-2005, 11:18 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who does powdercoating generally - not a body shop? And, when you give your rims to whoever to be powder coated, do they sand them and prep them like a standard paint prep? How do you match the center cap to the powder coated rim?

I'm getting some phone dials in need of a re-finish. Nice silver powder coat seems like a plan!
Old 01-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by faithless
I would go for a powdercoat hands down for durability. Powder is great because it involves no clear coating. In the curing process, the powders fuse and form a glaze that is uniform and very hard. Thus you wont have any clear coat chipping/orange peeling.
I agree. Plus, plain paint won't hold up as well to heat and brake dust.

Also, for a proper refinish it's important to remove all the original finish prior to recoating and baking the wheel. That's why a quality professional refinish is so labor intensive.

Quick Reply: Best way to paint rims?