Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp Placement

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 02:43 AM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Here's another image.
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2005, 05:07 AM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my87944s
how about in one of the side cubbies? in my previous 944 I built a slide-in/out amp board and mounted it in the passanger side rear cubby. It was a fairly small amp, but I think you could fit something rather large in there...
I can't find any way to orient the amp in the cubby and have it + the wires that plug in on each side fit. Sideways the power and speaker wires will hit the wheelwell and up/down the wiring will keep the trunk mat from sitting right. I only tried the hole on the passenger side, but I'm assuming the drivers side is the same. It's frustrating - the amp is maybe an inch too big in either direction to fit perfectly down there.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:30 AM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 944 Amp Storage

I bought my 86 new without the stereo (it was a $400 option back then). However, the car did come with the door and backseat speakers with the fader control mounted on the center console forward of the shift lever. I opted not to get the factory stereo knowing I wanted to spend some dollars in an aftermarket, professionally installed system. In short, I had installed a Nakamichi system consisting of separate componets (speakers and amps). Two amps were installed (one for the 8" SP80 subs and one amp for the tweeters and mid-range SP10s and SP50s). Both amps were mounted on a piece of plywood and mounted in the left side (drivers side) compartment in the rear. I was initially concerned about overheating problems; but never experienced a problem. My stereo lasted 10 or so years and then the amps started having problems. I replaced them with other make amps that fit the dimensions of this space. Earlier this year, I had to replace one of the 2 again. So I'm averaging 8 - 10 yrs on my amps living in this enclosed compartment. The Nak subs reside in a custom-made enclosure wrapped in black carpet that sit on top of these compartments (both sides). The enclosures fit that cavity space well. Overall appearance is pleasing. I used a instructional guide by Nackamichi on designing an enclosure best suited for the SP80s 8" sub (ported enclosure). It talked about the proper interior air space needed for best sound. Overall, I would highly suggest you persue these compartments for your amps. They are hidden (theft deterant) and the left space is typically not used for anything else. Also, todays market for amps offers a wide variety of sizes with specifications to meet most needs. Good Luck.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:22 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you may be able to mount on inside the rear fender, after removing the rear interior trim and speaker plate. SOmething I considered but decided wasnt worth the work involved.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:58 PM
faithless
Pro

Originally Posted by patrat
you may be able to mount on inside the rear fender, after removing the rear interior trim and speaker plate. SOmething I considered but decided wasnt worth the work involved.
I'll make a note of that!
Old 01-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

I'm taking a few pictures as I go for what it's worth. I've been trying some more and the only thing that'd get the amp down in the rear compartments is taking about an inch off either side.

This morning I found the perfect place to run the amp power cable. Behind and above the battery, hidden below the bottom of the windshield there was a factory hole with rubber stopper put in that fits the amp cable nicely. No need to worry about water coming in because it's about as high up in the battery compartment as you can get. You can't see it unless you bend down and look up at the battery or take out the glove box and look from that angle.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Why not do it like the factory did? Behind the lower dash kick plate.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:39 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is a very small amplifier. I looked at that area on my car for an alarm, and decided it was unsuitable for the brainbox. I cant imagine trying an amp in there.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you put it in the hatch, just be sure it's dry as a bone back there...
Old 01-22-2005, 07:11 PM
faithless
Pro

That is a baby amp! Thank you for the pic Jason. Maybe its worth looking for a more expensive amp that is more compact. So Jason, that amp must be setup to just add 60 watts to the output of the head unit? Can all amps be setup in this matter, or is it a special feature?
Old 01-22-2005, 08:02 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

I screwed mine to the top inside edge of the drivers cubby in ther rear. Never had a problem.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jason_86_951
Why not do it like the factory did? Behind the lower dash kick plate.
If you're talking about the drivers side, that's where my DME lives. It's a nice, dry place and would probably be great for late 944 people. It sounds like an easy place to instal it; no stuffing wires under the carpet or anything.

It might be worth it to get a smaller amp. Mine is ~11 or 12 inches each side and it's barely too big to fit in the usual places - bring a tape measure when you go shopping around. Anything even a half inch smaller would've fit perfectly in the hole with the spare. I'd guess 9 or 10 inches would be about the upper limit for an amp to fit in the side cubbies and still have a little room to work with. It looks like the passenger side one filled with water a few inches deep at some point, maybe the hatch leaked awhile back. My guess is the spare tire hole is about the safest place to hide an amp if you're worried about water.

Quick Reply: Amp Placement