Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:58 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once had a problem with a Volvo, it ran but just barely. Then it would be fine. I checked for spark at the plug wire but with a screwdriver stuck in the open end. Not much gap control, so I thought any spark would be OK. Finally diagnosed it by pulling the plugs, orange spark = bad/weak coil.

Good luck.

Lou
Old 01-21-2005, 12:44 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Well after a pint of Tanqueray and OJ I have calmed down some. And this is a major NO NO for me but needed to regroup with a friend of "Jack" just to regain my composure! I feel much better now though, even better if I could find the asprin bottle and figure this car issue out.

But in the mean while I am going to need to get a multi meter, figure out how to use and read it then see if I can't make progress.

Thanks for the ideas and I will post any progress or lack of it!
Old 01-21-2005, 12:59 PM
athens944
Pro

Next time it does not start, where the speed and reference sensors connect, try and jiggle them a bit (careful if it is cold out, don't want to break anything) . You may find this a temporary solution to at least get it started. I know the reference/speed sensors are a source of difficult or sporadic starting issues.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:10 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

As soon as I can get to the store to buy a meter the reference sensors are getting a testing. Just need to figure out which "thumb" is going to get me a ride!

I have had this car 3 years with no issues not easily fixed$$ and after reading post after post of owners dumping thousands into the car just to get it running has me terribly frightened now. I cannot and will not dump one cent into it till I know what I purchase is the correct fix. I have this paranoid feeling I am headed for thousands of dollars just to find out it was a 5 cent fix.
My other obsticle is no one to help me here. No one to crank the engine while I am under the hood/bonnet.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dal,
If I were closer I'd drop by and help you out.

I would attach the spark plug issue first. If you are not getting spark at the plugs (all 4) then the car wont start. Make sure you have that before you start messing with the speed and reference sensors.

If you have a weak spark at the coil, but nothing at the plugs then that the FIRST place to look.

Hey are their any other listers close that can at least help you crank it?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dal, you may remember my no start issue, weeks of poking around, trying all sorts of things ended up being a coil, diagnose by my wrench. It had tested within spec. I had it towed twice, screwed around under the hood in cold weather outside for weeks.

My car was running fine then died stranding me on the way to the library, uphill of course.. it was thoroughly warmed up and no sign of any failure prior. The coil just gave up the ghost.

I had always thought it would degrade in preformance and give a warning- but not in my case.

Hope this helps. Maybe you can have it tested at an Autozone and rule it out.

Peace out buddy.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:37 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Chris I am in that area right now. Why not strap that lady friend of yours into the car and head to Iowa. I have a big bottle of good Gin and a carton of expensive cigs just waiting for a couple of inept( speaking of myself) Porsche freaks! lol!

So in respect to the coil if I cross the 2 small terminals together should I get a result like a big spark?

Read on Clarks that the tach will bounce when starting up engine meaning the sensors are good. If this is true how much bounce? Mine bounces a wee bit. If this holds true then my sensors are working.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:47 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

On another area how about the ignition switch-key. If the switch is bad will it still turn the starter? I know I have a "gremlin" in that area because my wipers have a tendancy to come on at will and the switch at times locks up- not able to turn the key- jiggle it a bit and it turns so I do have a ground issue there, at least I think so.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:52 PM
M758
Race Director

I had a problem on my spec car early after I got it runing. It would start just fine, but die after I quit turning the key.

This case turned out to be a bad ignition swith. It worked in the "Start" position, but was failing intermittenly in the "run" position.

So if the car "starts" then dies and there are no dash lights in the "run" position in the key it may be your switch. I fixed by going to to dedicated toggle ignition swith and push button starter switch.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:59 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Joe
My dash lights never come on until I turn the headlights on. Are you refering to the red indicator lights such as battery, fuel etc? Mine work real well! The brightest lights on my car are the red indicator idiot lights.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:02 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by dgz924s
Joe
My dash lights never come on until I turn the headlights on. Are you refering to the red indicator lights such as battery, fuel etc? Mine work real well! The brightest lights on my car are the red indicator idiot lights.
yep.. with the key in 'run' position and the engine off those sucker should light up. If they don't then you either have dead battery. Which is not possible if you can crank it. So then that means a bad ignition switch. If you have those lights and the engine cranks then your switch is fine.

Dal you may also want to keep an eye on this thread if you have not been already.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/181170-how-to-troubleshot-the-ignition-system.html
Old 01-21-2005, 05:21 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Joe
No I haven't seen that thread. Thanks for the link! Good switch then. Alright then one ruled out and 20 to go!

On side note Joe, my sister lives in Phoenix and would love to have me live near by. And after this winter and the fact you west coast guys have a good race program going on I may just have to pack up and move to Az. Then I can pester you all day long on car issues and tapping your rear bumper every now and then. Well until I get better that is then you will be tapping mine!
Old 01-21-2005, 05:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Dal,
Phoenix is great place. Plus you can turn that 924S into spec racer and race a little faster with more competition.

Only downside you have to be ready for the heat! Remember it tops 100 From about early to mid may and stays like that through september.

The other downside is the california housing price circus is spill over onto Arizona. It is getting harder to find cheap housing here. Guys from So-Cal sell thier crappy **** boxes for $300-$400 and live like kings her. Unfortunalty that just inflates housing prices here.

Back in September my wife and went look for new house in the valley. Most new home developments had waiting lists or lotteries to buy. Some were sold out for next couple years. We ended up getting resale home in Anthem just North of town. House was on the market for 1 day and there were 5 offers on it. We had to go a little over asking just to get the place.

It was not too bad since our old house sold an couple days and we had 3 full price offers to select from so what goes around comes around. Unless you are from some where housing prices are natually cheaper. My guess is Iowa is one of those places. Still $150-180k will get you can nice place in a ok neighbor hood under 2000 sqft. Now you see why those SoCal folks go nuts in Phoenix. I have heard of them buying 2-3 houses at time, sight unseen.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:35 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Hehehehe.....But it is a "dry heat"! I think I can handle the heat. I lived in Sarasota Florida for 7 years. Although not as hot but man the humidity will make life real uncomfortable. I was in Phoenix during the "hot" season and man oh man the bottom of my shoes were hot enough to fry an egg!
Love the clothes the gals wear out there though! Or the lack there of...

My buddy races for TRG now and then, raced in a NASA race at Laguna Seca and was extremely impressed with the NASA group out there. But that may be because he brought home a really nice trophy for 1st place!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:37 PM
markt955
8th Gear

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM YESTERDAY. UNPLUGGED THE CONTROL UNIT UNDER THE DASH AND CLOSED UP THE PINS IN THE PLUG ITSELF AND THE CAR STARTED FIRST TIME. MAKE SURE THE BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED OR IT WON'T SPIN UP FAST ENOUGH. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.

Quick Reply: HELP no start