Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket? Got a bad feeling about this...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tod84944
I doubt very much that your head gasket is leaking. You would be adding coolant on a regular schedule, and it would be overheating. Sounds like you a injector that is sticking open, or is gummed up some and pulsing slower than the others. This would cause that cylinder to run rich.
I would disagree.
In my cars case I lost no coolant.
What happened was the cylinder compressing puched air through the leak into the cooling system.
The hoses were ROCK hard after starting the car.
Ive never heard of any other's like my case though. and injectors are a perfectly sensible cause.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:39 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My only glimmer of hope is the car's history over the last 18 months or so. It has not been driven much. Between the year I spent in RI (Driven maybe 5 times) and the three months while I was in Afghanistan, and very little driving before I left that perhaps it just needs to get some miles (I know wishful thinking). Will watch the coolant, and oil and see what is going on.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:39 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is the headgasket which I don't think it is at this point just read up on this and take your time doing it. It's pretty simple really nothing to it. Make sure you have a torque wrench on hand and tighten the hg in the right order and right amount of torque. Have you changed your oil lately? If not might want to drive it until it gets hot and then drain the oil see if it steams up. Do a compression check also and might want to pull your fuel rail and check the injectors and replace those o-rings and caps while you are at it. Test them as well.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PeteL
Did the head gasket on mine a few weeks ago, was a pretty easy job. Same sysmptoms, had one plug that was snow white, No.2 cil, and temp running high. Also replaced the water pump and radiator. Ran super cool after that. Now..... its starting to run hotter again, pulled No.2 plug this week and found it white again!!!! Grrrr now what...
Too bad you aren't closer, got all the tools and stuff here for doing that job.
Good luck, it's pretty easy, just remember to get a Long 6mm allen socket for the cam tower bolts.
Soak the exhaust studs with PB blaster or sometning well in advance of starting the job and it will go easy.
Good luck,
Bill
Old 01-21-2005, 07:57 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all of the advice. As of now, I am going to drive it some more. I am not convinced that it is the HG, of course, I have done zero troubleshooting beyond pulling the plugs and cleaning the cap and rotor. Engine temp is staying well within limits on my hour long drive to and from work, the morning/evening cold start stumble is lasting for a shorter duration. I will check all fluids on Saturday, when I can see the car in daylight, and go from there. Will monitor fuel/coolant/oil consumption. I may be leaning towards an air/fuel delivery issue. But I want to put a few more miles on the car to see where I am at. I think it is pissed at me for the neglect over the last 18 months.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket? Got a bad feeling about this...