Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Lonely Raven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coolant Suggestion

I did a search first because I know this has come up in the past, but
all I saw was pages of coolant issues and water pump failures.

So, quick question.

I remember reading that the Audi coolant was a good option, but I don't
have any Audi dealerships close by. What are my other options?

I have the typical Pep Boys, Murray's, Auto Zone around me.
I could order online, but shipping cost would probably outweigh the ease
of ordering.

Suggestions Please?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:01 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

VW!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:32 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

I use peak because it is aluminum safe
Old 01-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Buy prestone dex cool (orange stuff). No phosphates.

You dont need much coolant anyways. I run about 2 quarts with the rest distilled water and 1 water wetter. After all, good 'ol h20 has the advantageous specific heat.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you're in IL, I would run maybe 40% antifreeze, 60% water, or something similar, it doesn't get too cold there, correct?

I would run Dexcool, it's cheaper than VW/Audi blue, and has basically the same end result. I run Dexcool myself.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any non-phosphate is fine. I use the Prestone Low-Tox stuff 'cause we've got a lot of cats and stuff around and I don't want them to drink it or to get sick or die if they happen to.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Any non-phosphate is fine. I use the Prestone Low-Tox stuff 'cause we've got a lot of cats and stuff around and I don't want them to drink it or to get sick or die if they happen to.
Lol, such a kind heart. If a cat got near my driveway they would die or oil, brake fluid, power steering, and coolant poisoning. How careless of me not to think of the cats!
Old 01-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Lonely Raven
Racer

Originally Posted by Zero10
Since you're in IL, I would run maybe 40% antifreeze, 60% water, or something similar, it doesn't get too cold there, correct?

I would run Dexcool, it's cheaper than VW/Audi blue, and has basically the same end result. I run Dexcool myself.
Dude, it's been single digits here without including the wind chill!!

I just wanted to make sure I get good stuff. In the summer I run water with
Red Line Water Wetter (same stuff I use in my computer!!).
Old 01-21-2005, 01:45 AM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

You do not need 0-phosphate coolant...the below statement is from the Prestone website:
Q: Does Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?
A: Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles. For those consumers who would feel more comfortable using a phosphate-free antifreeze, our Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate, and borate free. This coolant uses a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new). Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant has been approved by General Motors under their DEX-COOL® specifications and is compatible with other DEX-COOL® approved coolants.

-CKKrause
Old 01-21-2005, 01:49 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are they seriously going to pay for an engine replacement if they're wrong? Didn't think so. I'm sticking with phosphate free.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stick with phosphate free as well. When I tore apart my oil cooler and such on my 86 NA, which was always run on cheap-o coolant, which was most certainly not phosphate-free, it was all fuzzy with mineral buildup, it was absolutely terrible. I actually poured CLR into my cooling system, cleaned it out pretty nice...
Anyhoo.

I guess I under-estimated winter in Illinois. I thought you guys had pretty mild winters there, allow me to revise my statement to be 60% antifreeze, 40% water. I run 75% antifreeze, but that's because we will get below -40C sometimes.

I considered the low-tox stuff, since it's propalyne (sp?) glycol instead of ethalyne glycol, so it's not nearly as toxic, and it isn't as sweet smelling, so less animals drink it, but I found that Dexcool has a completely different smell, much more like rum, and it doesn't attract animals like the green stuff does, so I use it instead.

However, joking about killing cats with antifreeze just isn't funny, and I take it pretty seriously. My girlfriend's family lost their favorite cat to antifreeze poisioning. Their neighbour across the alley changed his rad fluid in his 5 ton truck, he just removed the rad drain plug, and let it run into the alley.... 2 days later, dead cat... Hmmm.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:29 AM
Lonely Raven
Racer

Thanks for the info guys, and I always properly drain all my fluids, so no worries there!

Quick Reply: Coolant Suggestion