Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late 85' 944 Bumper Modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Weltweite
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late 85' 944 Bumper Modifications?

I know there are a lot of Purists on this site, but I feel the rear bumper on my late 85 944 looks pretty ugly and ruins the aesthitics of the car. I feel the car should please me, not others.. so I want to modify the rear bumper.

I saw a modification on 9xauto.com that looks like this.

Their sellilng that for $350.00 with mounting brackets.

I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere else that sells a modified rear bumper like that for cheaper than $350.00??

I just don't like how the rear bumper protrudes stock.

Thanx guys,

Eli

P.S: the front of the car in that pic that shows the front modification is Really ugly IMO.. I would never change the front of the car. I'm happy with that, just specifically that rear bumper.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:09 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

you'd find a lot of us on this board agree that the us-spec rear bumper is unattractive. you could also try gt-racing and AIR for other rear bumper options. or just get the euro rear bumper which is quite nice
Old 01-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Weltweite
Advanced

I just checked out gt-racing, and was looking at their rear bumpers.

The only thing I found was their "944 European Rear Valence" "a european option which accents styling, conceals muffler and spare tire well. 3 pc construction per Original German Design"

I can't tell from the shape if this is the rear bumper.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2005, 11:58 PM
Weltweite
Advanced

I am unfamiliar with AIR..

P.S:

Thanx for your help
Old 01-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember that with any FG bumper you are asking for a lot of damage in the event of a collision. There will be nothing to cushion the impact and FG doesnt really make a very good protective material.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Weltweite
I just checked out gt-racing, and was looking at their rear bumpers.

The only thing I found was their "944 European Rear Valence" "a european option which accents styling, conceals muffler and spare tire well. 3 pc construction per Original German Design"

I can't tell from the shape if this is the rear bumper.
that picture's not a bumper, but rather a valance that goes under the bumper.

The GT Racing rear bumper looks essentially like a stock bumper without the rubber pads. It protrudes about 1/2 as far as the stock bumper as well.

I'm not familiar with the AIR bumper.

As for the kit you mention here....that's from FiberWerks (www.fiberwerks.com), 9xauto is just a distributer of it.

So what's so bad about the Fiberwerks front end?
Old 01-19-2005, 01:32 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your car a 944 turbo or S2? If not, you may consider going with the rear underbody valance from one of these cars. It significantly changes the look of the rear end (hides spare tire well and makes the car appear lower). Though this is not my car, i think it illustrates the point well....

I have heard bad things about that euro rear valance, mainly that they mimic the function of an airbrake in aerodynamics.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Weltweite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Is your car a 944 turbo or S2? If not, you may consider going with the rear underbody valance from one of these cars. It significantly changes the look of the rear end (hides spare tire well and makes the car appear lower). Though this is not my car, i think it illustrates the point well....

I have heard bad things about that euro rear valance, mainly that they mimic the function of an airbrake in aerodynamics.

Thats funny because that is the spitting Image of My car. Red Paint, Down to the Porsche light up in the middle and where the liscense plate is too.

I'll look into adding a rear underbody valence. I saw a few pics of it, and it really does make the back look better.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:14 AM
Weltweite
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scootin159
that picture's not a bumper, but rather a valance that goes under the bumper.

The GT Racing rear bumper looks essentially like a stock bumper without the rubber pads. It protrudes about 1/2 as far as the stock bumper as well.

I'm not familiar with the AIR bumper.

As for the kit you mention here....that's from FiberWerks (www.fiberwerks.com), 9xauto is just a distributer of it.

So what's so bad about the Fiberwerks front end?
Oh I understand.
Without the pads, and Half the protrusion is pretty decent.. but i still like the Flush look from fiberwerks.

(as far as collisions, i'm not really too worried about that)

The front end from Fiberworks doesnt look bad without the Front Spoiler. With the Front Spoiler, I think it makes it look ugly. haha.

P.S: As far as the Euro Rear, I tried to find some pics of that but no success. Is it flush or protrudes slightly?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:51 AM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

My question is can you put the turbo rear valance under the fiberwerks. I've always wanted to know that.................I feel that combo would look awesome!!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 02:53 AM
Weltweite
Advanced

Originally Posted by KenC
My question is can you put the turbo rear valance under the fiberwerks. I've always wanted to know that.................I feel that combo would look awesome!!!!
Haha, My thoughts exactly

I was trying to imagine that combo and it came out looking good.

Give the back a really smooth, slick appearance.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:10 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly doubt the rear valence would fit with the fiberwerks one, because it is shaped to the stock bumper.
I was seriously looking at fiberwerks stuff about 3 years ago, but I decided it just wouldn't be worth it, its too expensive and IMO looks like crap. The fiberwerks rear bumper is flush with the back, it looks dumb. I used to salivate over that red fiberwerks car...then I eventually saw the light. The front valence looks nice on some cars, Tarheel and Antontio's black ones come to mind, and Scootins.
Go with the GT racing or AIR rear bumper...coupled with the rear valence it looks amazing.
What I'm planning to do is delete the bumper pads, fill the holes, and add the rear valence. Updates the car like there is no tomorrow. My idea is that the car will remain stock-LOOKING, but just brought up to date.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:19 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

In my opinion, and all commentary regarding crashworthiness aside, the best-looking rear bumper for these cars is the euro rear bumper. However, they are not easy to source here in the states, at this point it would be recommended that you contact a dismantler in Germany (GB is too expensive due to several issues) and source one. If you get one, don't forget to get the bumper shocks with it as they are shorter (and WAY LIGHTER) than the US-spec ones. Additionally, the rubber trim strip probably should be ordered new from a euro source as well, as they never fare very well over time and you might as well make it look good. Here is a good pic of one below.........
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Matt H
Race Director

I have to agree, the Euro bumper with the Turbo lower valance is HOT, really, really hot! After seeing it at 944 Fest, I have to have it. It makes the rear valance look totally different. It is strange because it is a bumper but it makes the car look faster just sitting there, it is that much of a change.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Matt H
Race Director

See here for examples

Euro bumper

GT Racing

GT Racing

The "shortness" of the bumper makes that lower valance just look incredible!

Quick Reply: Late 85' 944 Bumper Modifications?