Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of dings, WTB thread. Parters please post.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Strike-Force
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Is that what you're talking about? No way I'm paying 600-700 for a quarter panel. I could get a totaled car and pull it off for that price, and still have extra parts! I'm gonna talk with a few friends that work on cars, see if they want any side jobs and get estimates, and see what all can be done. I'll post back here with prices of stuff too so you guys can let me know if I'm getting ripped off or not. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2005, 12:04 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I am about 1/2 way thru doing the FIX-IT thing on my driver's side rear quarter panel....it was creased by guiderail on a highway ( prev. owner)....if not for the fact that I have been doing it around the birth and then health issues with my premie daughters it would likely have been like a two weekend project.....my repair is a combo of dent pulling with duro easy-glass.....I first used this material on my first car in 1984....that car is still riding around today with the same paint job I had done after I did the body work....no cracks, no rust...looks great! YES...I would rather have none of this in my P-car...and I had briefly considered a new panel....but It would likely cost about what I paid for the car just to have the panel welded in-place....did not make a whole lot of sense to spend that $........If you do this...do it in layers, building it up slowly and I like to prime coat in between layers....helps to see the "holidays".....you can also make a template from the other side of the car so you can get the proper profile on the quarter panel.....If our cars were $20k vehicles then I think a several thousand dollar repair would be worth it....most of us are luck if we have $5k cars ( excluding turbos).....FIX IT!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Strike-Force
Racer

Well I already got a (free) estimate, and it would cost $1020 if I supply the panel to cut off the old, prep the new, weld the new, and paint the new. This also includes prepping and painting the new front valence I already have because mine is cracked...
Old 01-14-2005, 12:16 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

OK....I've seen panels on ebay for around $100.00....plus shipping.....( not sure how you'd ship something like that...common carrier maybe?)....You are approaching about 1/2 to 1/3 of what alot of NA owners likely paid for their car.....that's alot....and I happen to agree that once you make the first cut....the car will never quite be the same....just my 2cents....I am generally a big fan of doing things the proper way.....so it was very difficult to justify not replacing the panel on mine....but it just did not make financial sense!
Old 01-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Coming from someone who has replaced a few quarters in his day...Replacing a 944 quarter will be no fun task...Just thinking about it makes me hurt....I have seen some pretty bad quarters come out looking pretty dam straight....Lets see the pics and then judge....

DAmian

Quick Reply: Tired of dings, WTB thread. Parters please post.