Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are we the most knowledgeable 944 forum on Internet?
Yes!
90.70%
No
8.14%
Such and such is better...
1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Are we the most knowledgeable 944 forum on Internet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Rennlist 944 email list is very good. Lower S/N
Old 01-13-2005, 12:59 AM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am trying my best to help! I am taking a break from Penn State and going to UTI to learn about autmotive technology. If I maintain my current averages hopefully I will be one of 25-40 kids that Porsche picks to go to Porsche Factory training!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:29 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey... wheres the rennlist spirit without our fair share of idiots
Old 01-13-2005, 02:51 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pelican is pretty slow and only has a couple of guys worth listening to, not much else 944 competition out there! Though there now is a New Zealand 944 forum! Yay!
Old 01-13-2005, 04:03 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Granite 944
Luis,

I appreciate the spirit in which you offer this post/poll, however I can't help but believe this is just another way of people getting more visably into what I've refered to in the past as a "holier than thou" attitude. Surely not something I believe we, or really, anyother forum should ever get into. I love Rennlist, and really do like the tons and tons of experience and help and friendships one can get from here.

I worry about the outward results, and how this poll might reflect on the entire forum, noting that a huge amount of people do not/will not take part in the poll.
Maybe if you add more choices in your poll........maybe something like,

1: who gives a ****
2: to each their own
3: I'm not sure anyone should ever judge their groups compentancy, as it should be obvuous by its reputation, and number of members.

Ya know, ya really need to add something more, if you really want to persue this poll. I only bring this up because of the recent fiasco here on this list that a few participated in, that I'll just refer to as the " forum raiders". Now THAT sure portrays our list as a wonderful place..........doesn't it? And I tend to believe that a poll like this will tend to support the "holier than thou" attitude..........don't you?

I do have great respect for you Luis, and Rennlist as a whole, and its reputation.

I'm all for the RAH-RAH for Rennlist thing, but just voicing my .02.

Rant off now.
Ken, you're reading a bit too much into this thread. I can think of worse threads that have been posted if you're so bothered by this one. Its actually a criticism, not a rah-rah for the Rennlist 944 forum.

Point of it is quite simple, actually. For years now, I've relied mainly on Rennlist to find answers to problems with my car. I don't know much about other 944 forums on Internet, but although Rennlist is good, the more sources I can check to fix my 944, the better. If there are good forums, I'd like to know about them. What's wrong with that?

I think it's good to reaffirm the purpose of the 944 Forum now and then, especially for the newcomers' sake, and I find that the moderator has had his hands full lately with the amount of OT that is posted here. OTOH I recently visited an Oldsmobile forum asking where to find parts for a '63 Ninety-Eight and my message was deleted by the moderator for not being a "technical question."

Lastly, I respect you as well. But if you don't like my thread, then do as I do with countless BS threads posted on here: ignore it!
Old 01-13-2005, 06:34 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted no, for the reason that I don't think "ANY 1" board is 100% perfect.
I've got good/bad and indifferent advice from this board and others.

are there a good bunch of guys here, yes. Are there a good bunch of guys on other site, for sure !
Old 01-13-2005, 07:04 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm Pelican has a COUPLE of guys with advice worth listening too.
Rennlist has DOZENS of guys with advice worth listening too.

That automatically makes rennlist the "most knowledgeable" 944 forum, because it's more likely you will get your question answered faster and by more knowledgeable here than anywhere else.

has nothing to do with which forums has less idiots or OT posts.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:17 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
has nothing to do with which forums has less idiots or OT posts.
More OT material still makes it less likely for those experienced people to see your post asking for help. That is a fact.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:33 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Are we the most knowledgeable 944 forum on Internet?

Yes.

Do we suffer from the rift-raff, idiots, streetracers, post-******, horn-dogs, etc that come along with being the largest 944/951 forum?

Yes.

Realistically, would any of our attempts to change the above make a difference?

No.

Would I want to go anywhere else when I need tech info?

No

Does the good far outweigh the bad?

Yes!

(BTW, I like Pelican too. It is a little slower at times, but generally it is a pretty good crowd over there. It suffers from the same issues Rennlist does, just on a smaller scale. Guess that tells you something about internet communities, eh? They are all a sampling of real life and real people.)
Old 01-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since 7 of you voted no, I want to know where you are going for your information. Hell, I frequent probably 20 or more auto forums and of ALL of them (across makes) this is the one that is generally the most knowledgable. That doesnt mean that there is not some horrible advice here (because there is) but I just wonder where those 7 are going!
Old 01-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by pete944
That Pilkington guy is pretty brainy...
SKUNK!! You beat me to the punch!

I think an options should have been all of this board v. Pilkington. Plankington would have won for sure.

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Rennlist has DOZENS of guys with advice worth listening too.

That automatically makes rennlist the "most knowledgeable" 944 forum, because it's more likely you will get your question answered faster and by more knowledgeable here than anywhere else.
Rennlist may have DOZENS, but we don't have Pilkington. Without Plankton we are like a bowl of raisin bran without the raisins.... Just a bunch of flakes.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:19 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt H
Since 7 of you voted no, I want to know where you are going for your information. Hell, I frequent probably 20 or more auto forums and of ALL of them (across makes) this is the one that is generally the most knowledgable. That doesnt mean that there is not some horrible advice here (because there is) but I just wonder where those 7 are going!
Hey Matt,
I think previously I've already said that I answered no, and why I answered no.
theres a lot of board and groups (e-groups and usenet) around,
with respect the world does not start and end with Rennlist

I freqent 4 including this one.

As I said I think its unfair to say that this is more knowledgable.
I sometimes crosspost threads especially if I need a quick reply,
and from "my experience" I have had long combacks/delays on Rennlist as well as others, as for answers answers vary again between boards, and again you need to bump the thread several times before you get a reply on this as well as other boards.

But go with what you feel happy with.

I'm not dissing any one/group. All have there pro's and con's

Ade
Old 01-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat

Point of it is quite simple, actually. For years now, I've relied mainly on Rennlist to find answers to problems with my car. I don't know much about other 944 forums on Internet, but although Rennlist is good, the more sources I can check to fix my 944, the better. If there are good forums, I'd like to know about them. What's wrong with that?......................Lastly, I respect you as well. But if you don't like my thread, then do as I do with countless BS threads posted on here: ignore it!

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that Luis. I just had my thoughts on HOW its being achieved.
Like so many others, I DO ignore many, many BS threads. Sometimes one just must add their .02, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that either.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:52 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Of course....
... I post here after all
Old 01-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Of course....
... I post here after all

but lest we forget grandmaster jake who knows all

but seriously speaking though, i say this IS the most knowledgable 944 forum anywhere. there is no competition that comes close. we have more than dozens of great, nice guys who really know their stuff. it's not 100% perfect yes, but as tifo said, the good here TOTALLY outweighs the bad. RENNLIST LOVE!

Quick Reply: Are we the most knowledgeable 944 forum on Internet?