Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my clutch went...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005 | 06:37 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Danno
" Last couple of days I have been hearing a whirring sound from the clutch area only when the clutch is depressed."

This is most likely the pilot bearing at the end of the crank. It's the only part that gets spun when the clutch pedal is depressed.
Naw, Danno. The TOB will be spinning too, and under pressure to boot.

Those pilot bearings are pretty robust. That was about the only thing that wasn't screwed up in my clutch failure.
Old 01-12-2005 | 06:57 PM
Danno
Race Director

Yeah, the TOB is about 20x larger than the pilot bearing. Also when you step on the clutch-pedal, it loads the TOB on the side where it's not worn. Typically when TOB bearings go out, they make noise during normal clutch-out driving. Then when you step on the clutch-pedal, the noise goes away.

BTW - weren't you coming out to visit me sometime soon?
Old 01-13-2005 | 03:57 AM
StickShift
Instructor

Okay, again, I have the same issue. I have now pulled the starter and the slave. Good news the pedal is now free, but the fork moves freely in the bellhousing. I don't have any of the signs of classic hydro failure, no leaks that is, and I do know now I have some sort of clutch failure. I hope it is just your master/slave going bad, but if you don't have leaks like me, then at least I will have a fellow sufferer! I should have it apart tomorrow night, and if it is good, I will post pics.

But an easy test to get an idea. Lift the car, and you can see where the slave engages the fork. Take a pry bar and push back the fork, it will be all the way forward against the bellhousing, hence the reason for the pedal not moving, push the fork back. Does the fork stay, or does it flop around? If it stays, it is hydro. If it flops, you have a deeper issues as I do....

Tom
Old 01-13-2005 | 07:12 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StickShift
Okay, again, I have the same issue. I have now pulled the starter and the slave. Good news the pedal is now free, but the fork moves freely in the bellhousing. I don't have any of the signs of classic hydro failure, no leaks that is, and I do know now I have some sort of clutch failure. I hope it is just your master/slave going bad, but if you don't have leaks like me, then at least I will have a fellow sufferer! I should have it apart tomorrow night, and if it is good, I will post pics.

But an easy test to get an idea. Lift the car, and you can see where the slave engages the fork. Take a pry bar and push back the fork, it will be all the way forward against the bellhousing, hence the reason for the pedal not moving, push the fork back. Does the fork stay, or does it flop around? If it stays, it is hydro. If it flops, you have a deeper issues as I do....

Tom
I will try your test today on my luch break. Even If I do have just hydro failure the whiring sound indicates that it is clutch time. DAMN IT. I have changed a clutch before so the unknow of "can I do it?" isn't there. I just think it will be easier with the car off of the drive train. Need to empty out the garage and get ready for it to be occupied for a couple of months.

IPSC

P.S. But yes you have a fellow sufferer
Old 01-14-2005 | 02:55 AM
StickShift
Instructor

Got it apart tonight. I am a bit peeved. The clutch has been replaced. I still have machine marks in the flywheel. But I have a two piece throw-out bearing.... Yeah, the PO did a clutch job with a new rubber center clutch but didn't see the need to replace the throw-out bearing. AHHH!!!!! Why?!!! It isn't cheap (i just bought one) but the difference between a spring center and a rubber more than makes up the difference. And the flywheel and PP bolts were also reused! Why spend the money and go halfassed over a couple hundred bucks after what the parts cost already??!!!!! Yes, I am peeved!

T

Quick Reply: I think my clutch went...