Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That Spray-On License Plate Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005 | 06:07 PM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

Question That Spray-On License Plate Stuff

We have a ton of photo radar in AZ and even though I've seen the light (speeding not running reds, I leave that for idiots....) I've never gotten a ticket. I know it's only a matter of time and was wondering if you guys know anything about the spray-on radar blocking stuff. I heard a rumor it's simply a flat or non-gloss eurothane spray. Anybody??

BTW there was a story going around with a few lawyer buddies of mine regarding some guy's response to the photo ticket. They send you a copy of the picture with the ticket as proof they busted you so this guy took a picture of 2 $20's and sent it back....
Old 01-11-2005 | 06:14 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AZ944
We have a ton of photo radar in AZ and even though I've seen the light (speeding not running reds, I leave that for idiots....) I've never gotten a ticket. I know it's only a matter of time and was wondering if you guys know anything about the spray-on radar blocking stuff. I heard a rumor it's simply a flat or non-gloss eurothane spray. Anybody??

BTW there was a story going around with a few lawyer buddies of mine regarding some guy's response to the photo ticket. They send you a copy of the picture with the ticket as proof they busted you so this guy took a picture of 2 $20's and sent it back....
That bit about the picture of the two $20s is perfect!

Im fairly sure any sort of "blocking" is illegal, or boarderline t least... Food for thought.
Old 01-11-2005 | 06:20 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I haven't seen any data on it although I'd be more inclined to trust the ones with an actual lens or plastic cover than a spray. I have no problem with people trying to beat those stupid things - they're a complete violation of due process, IMO. I recently had to pull over part-way through an intersection to allow an emergency vehicle to pass (as the vehicle code requires one to do), the light changed and I could not "clear" the intersection without running the red light. Fortunately this was at a "normal" intersection without the stupid cameras, but what if it had been? You're screwed. My understanding is there's no due process, no chance to explain the circumstances, no appeal. I say do everything possible to protect yourself against such B.S. At least with an actual human cop there, he/she can use a little common sense / discretion. With a camera, there is no such discretion.
Old 01-11-2005 | 06:25 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

cameras are EVIL!!! suppose you run a red light to avoid being t-boned by an 18 wheeler? i'm not going to pay for a ticket that was the result of me trying to save my car and my life. all it is is a damn scheme for fata$$ doughnut eating cops to have more time to sit on their fat a$$es and eat more doughnuts ...oh yea and make more money for the city as well...
Old 01-11-2005 | 06:52 PM
Zero10
Race Car

I believe in the story with the picture of money, the cops mailed him back a picture of handcuffs

I've been in a few situations where I've been forced to exit an intersection on a red light. The thing is, if you don't enter on the red, you're not running a red (or at least that's the law here).

Now, those sprays are just a myth. They have many many tricks to get your license plate out of the picture. Pretty much the only thing that works up here, is to frost the hell out of it. Some are buried so deep in snow/ice that you wouldn't even know there was a license plate there. I know those guys get away with it.
Old 01-11-2005 | 06:54 PM
89AZ944
Racer

AZ944-

I'm over in Gilbert and the police here will pull you over and force you to take off any obstructing lens or polarized cover off your plate. There was actually a picture in the paper of a cop forcing the driver to remove a photo radar fooling plate cover.

I was surprised to see the Gilbert PD doing it as I can't think of any red light photos in town. Now Scottsdale and Chandler- The redlight cameras are EVERYWHERE. Tempe has the photo radar with the cycle cops hiding in bushes down the road, so I am aware of that.....

It's just not worth the hassle of "obfusticating" my tag to fool the cameras, just to get pulled over by a cop who's having a bad day or 1 ticket short of his "quota."

Oh, and remember when there was the "scandal" about 2 years ago where one of the local cities (I think it was Scottsdale or PV) figured out they were "losing money" on the red light runners because the red light photo program was so effective that the number of redlight runners was DECLINING. And the money from the tickets was funding the photo program. So, in the "interest of public safety" they cut the timing on the yellow lights at the photo lights like one or two seconds shorter to try to trap the "regulars" just to generate enough revenue to justify the redlight photo program. One of the local TV stations ran a big story on it and I think that the way the city got around it is by "shifting" the costs around so it did not look like the tickets were paying for the program. They did admit to cutting back the time on the yellows, but gave some lame excuse like it would stop people from slamming down the accelerator if they KNEW the light was going to change sooner.

Ha....I scoff at the faulty logic......
Old 01-11-2005 | 07:04 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azndrvr447
cameras are EVIL!!! suppose you run a red light to avoid being t-boned by an 18 wheeler? i'm not going to pay for a ticket that was the result of me trying to save my car and my life. all it is is a damn scheme for fata$$ doughnut eating cops to have more time to sit on their fat a$$es and eat more doughnuts ...oh yea and make more money for the city as well...
The highway patrols' main purpose is not to ensure a safe street; but instead generate revenue for the state.

They just dont say it
Old 01-11-2005 | 07:17 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I have thought about this before but never did anything with it. You could make a LCD screen license plate cover. It would be easy to do with a polarized piece of clear plastic, some of the new paint on clear conductive paint and a little twisted nematic liquid crystal. It would be perfectly clear until you flip the switch and then the whole plate would turn black like the numbers on a digital clock. Not too hard to build/design but I just question what "legal" use something like this would have.
Old 01-11-2005 | 07:24 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Originally Posted by Serge944
The highway patrols' main purpose is not to ensure a safe street; but instead generate revenue for the state.

They just dont say it
That one is universal... here in Norway,most speed cameras are there for the official reason "they make people slow down" i.e. safety. But then why the h£ll are they all situated at the parts of our roads that's actually straight and have good visibility,straight-ahead and to both sides? Why not in the twisties,where stupid driving (passing before a hilltop/blind turn 20 feet from a kindergarten) actually can hurt people..? It's all in the money,I guess...
Old 01-11-2005 | 07:25 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Just take the damn license plate off! If pulled over, you could always claim the bracket broke or something, get a fix-it ticket (from a real cop) and go on about your business the other 99% of the time (you still have a valid registration, you just "can't" display the plate), not having to worry about these stupid cameras.
Old 01-11-2005 | 08:49 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Travis - like this:
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2005 | 08:52 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Nope, it would be all black like the numbers on a digital clock. You take one polarized plate on top with the liquid crystals under it. When you put voltage to the liquid crystals it aligns them opposed to the polarized plate and you get a full black image. Cut the voltage and it goes back to clear. LCD technology.
Old 01-11-2005 | 08:56 PM
9five1
Pro

They are just a revenue trap.. In VA you don't get points, and you do have the chance to appeal them.

~Eric
Old 01-11-2005 | 10:15 PM
Greg86andahalf
Three Wheelin'

'They send you a copy of the picture with the ticket as proof they busted you so this guy took a picture of 2 $20's and sent it back...."

Then they'll send him a picture of handcuffs.
Old 01-11-2005 | 10:22 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

azndrvr744, whats funny about the red light cameras is they are owned and operated by a company outside of the police. The fuzz just get a percentage of that ticet, most goes to the company. It all goes back to what our government is doing now a days. REVENUE COLLECTION!!! and i live in chandler, covering your license plate will get you puled over

Quick Reply: That Spray-On License Plate Stuff