Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield cracked: Is it possible to replace recessed one w/ a flush mounted piece?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 10:20 PM
944kid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question windshield cracked: Is it possible to replace recessed one w/ a flush mounted piece?

I plan on purchasing a 1984 944 , unfortunately, the windshield is cracked . the original glass in there is mounted recessed, which aside from making the car look more dated, makes the car less aerodynamic. Now if I could replace this cracked glass w/ the flush mounted piece used in the later cars... I would not only be much happier with my purchase, but the car might easilier pass NYS Inspection...(by the way, I'm not of age yet to do so, but soon will be, and don't wan't to chance it... I want to enjoy it, the sooner the better!)

I won't be doing the installation myself, rather, I'll be entrusting a prof. to do this...however, I want to know if this seemingly simple conversion from recessed glass to flush mounted glass is ever done, and if it is, do you need to modify the A-pillars,or anything else for that matter, or is it a straight forward installation?

Any helpful response is greatly appreciated-Thanks in advance
Old 01-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The glass might be the least of your problems, have you had a pre-purchase inspection done by a mechanic who really knows these cars? You can pay before or you can really pay after.

i have no idea about changing the glass, but if it really bugs you you should probably just look for a later car. There are lots of N/As for sale, don't buy the first one you see unless it compares well.

Few things are more expensive than a cheap Porsche.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:06 AM
944kid
Banned

Actually, I've known the owners for a couple years, so I'm confident in its sevrice history and repairs, I'm primarily concerned about the windshield... and if it turns out I can't convert to the flush mounted windshield of the later cars, I'll just get a replacement for the original piece.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

should be 'do-able'

per socal driver "The geometry of the 944 windshields are all the same."

dunno who has done it though...wish there was a definitive (tried and tested) parts list available

have a look at these threads...it is confusing

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=149427

and

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=159782

Quick Reply: windshield cracked: Is it possible to replace recessed one w/ a flush mounted piece?