Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 944's a Dead Horse!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 06:33 PM
elf89
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
If that's your budget, you're doing pretty well!
You're right. I should mention that I have a winter car so the 944 is only driven 8 months out of the year, and not every day. You'd probably have to double the annual maintenance and have more opportunity for a big failure driving it daily.

I have nothing but respect for all the folks on this forum who can do their own repairs and save a bundle. I wish I had that kind of time and talent. But I do take issue with people who say you shouldn't own this car if you can't work on it. It's all a matter of reasonable expectations. And one thing not to expect is to get your money back out of a 20 year old mass-produced car.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:43 PM
RI951
Instructor

Now KenC, I KNOW you don't own a boat, or you wouldn't be bitching about "cost per mile" or similar nonsense. my boats make my 951 look like a bargain, if you factor "cost per mile". And my boat is not even remotely practical! Can't drive it to work, fuel consumption is measured in gallons per hour, expensive to haul out and shrink wrap, dock fees, etc. But you know why I got it? It's fun. That's it. Fun.

It's not about the money, honey.

And besides, is there anything more decadent the driving the Porsche down to the dock, to take the boat out for the day? It's sinful...

You're right. Sell the 944. Buy a 'yota or some other bland toaster. You'll be happy. I promise.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:14 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I haven't read beyond the first few posts of this thread, so I apologize if this point has already been covered.

Scratch that, this is my opinion, so I will weigh in anyway.

When I buy cars, I buy them because I love them. I don't care about things like "resale value" and whatnot. Why? Mainly, because I hold on to them long enough such that I really don't factor "resale" into the equation anyway. Plus, I consider "depreciation/money lost" as the cost of having a car that I love.

I realize that I have put more money into my 944 than it's worth. I don't care. I don't plan on selling it. I'll likely take a bath if the car gets smooshed, but that's a risk I'm willing to take, in the name of "I love the car". So much, in fact, that I was willing to keep the 944 instead of selling it to buy my departed dad's 911.

So, yeah... I'll agree that my car is a horrible monetary investment. However, by the time I factor in it's sentimental value, it's worth it.

BB.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts
Default bah

Here is my dead horse 951 w/ 280,000km at Sebring. I keep up with or pass most of the guys in the solo group who have prepared cars worth much more then mine. If this is your first sports car then you have a lot to learn. Sports cars aren't cheap. The 944 has tremendous build quality. I submit this as evidence that you don't really know what you are talking about. I have spent a lot of money on my car. It is still the most bang for the buck you will find anywhere.
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2005, 08:23 PM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

Buy a Toyota Prius
Old 01-06-2005, 08:49 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RI951
...my boats make my 951 look like a bargain, if you factor "cost per mile". And my boat is not even remotely practical! Can't drive it to work, fuel consumption is measured in gallons per hour, expensive to haul out and shrink wrap, dock fees, etc. But you know why I got it? It's fun. That's it. Fun.
I'll second THAT. They say you can plan to drop a minimum or $1000 a year for any boat used in saltwater. Young, old, new, used. My bud's boat is TOTALLY impractical as boats go, too. We run a super-shallow skiff that doesn't like crossing big rough bays, but it's a compromise we make to get in the skinny water. He's even looking at ANOTHER hull crack that's gonna cost ANOTHER $500-800 to fix. But you wanna know how justified he and I feel for all the time and money we put into it on those nice Summer days when the trout are blowin' up in that pretty green water down at the POC jetties? REAL justified. Jeff, you really put it into words with the metaphor to flying (the white Turbo looks HOT, btw!)

Ken, I wish ya luck, man, but like xsBoost said, selling a sportscar with issues IN THE SNOW isn't a walk in the park. Do you know for sure if it IS the head gasket yet? Did ya check that oil pressure sender? Sure that Billy Badass clutch/ flywheel are cool. So are 17" Cups and new leather. NONE of which improves the vehicle's mechanical condition.

Take a breathe, have a beer, and try to figure out what's wrong first of all. Mysterious problems only bode well for the buyer who's looking to cash in on YOUR frustrations. Then, get an estimate (from a respectable shop) of what it's going to take to put it right. Or, stay pissed off and irrational and dump it for the first $1000 that comes along; cuz that's all any rational shopper would pay for a car that "might need a head gasket" ; nice wheels or not.

I'm telling ya, unless there's some new symptoms, it doesn't sound like a head gasket. Probably half the members here have forgotten more than I know about these cars, but one thing I DO know is that they have some complicated, seemingly unrelated parts and sensors and crap that go bad with random symptoms. My bud chased down his problem for a couple of months. Ended up being the damn oil sender (IIRC, $80-100 at the dealer?) sticking that caused the DME to richen the mix and the car to run like ****. Crazy, I know. Okay, I'm done. Good luck, dude.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Originally Posted by jcb928
Buy a Toyota Prius

LOL

Get a kia sephia.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:07 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Here is my dead horse 951 w/ 280,000km at Sebring. I keep up with or pass most of the guys in the solo group who have prepared cars worth much more then mine. If this is your first sports car then you have a lot to learn. Sports cars aren't cheap. The 944 has tremendous build quality. I submit this as evidence that you don't really know what you are talking about. I have spent a lot of money on my car. It is still the most bang for the buck you will find anywhere.
That's nice! Are those 16x9 930 Fuchs on the back there?
Old 01-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Yeah. Stole them from my dad's 89 930. :-) He put turbo twists on there instead since we don't track that car anymore. The fuchs are wicked light.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:54 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Yeah. Stole them from my dad's 89 930. :-) He put turbo twists on there instead since we don't track that car anymore. The fuchs are wicked light.
I'd give my left nut and a big toe for a set of those.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And a Big Toe? Tifo, you must want those pretty badly
Old 01-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This whining is ridiculous. Why? Here, consider this.

Porsche is a mark, that while not quite at the extreme, that is much like other brands Ferrari, Aston Martin, and MG. The car was orginally purchased as a sports car, a toy, something that really isn't practical no matter how you try to justify it. These cars don't get good gas milage relative to other cars (my Saab turbo gets 36mpg on the freeway and it will stomp an N/A in a straight line), they are sold with the intention of being driven hard (stuff breaks), and everything is built as to be closer to the limits of engineering than other vehicles. Those are all facts that new owners of 944's had to face. Porsche says they build a reliable sports car, but what they mean is it is a reliable sports car relative to other cars in its price and type.

Now take into account how old these cars are. Engine parts just wear out, and seeing as Porsche built the car with the knowledge that the owners that would really influence future sales would either be under warranty or would have enough money flying out the orifices of their body to repair the car correctly, parts prices can be inflated. Do I drive my Porsche daily? No. Why would I, it costs a fortune to maintain because of the parts prices and it is somewhat difficult to work on. These cars are novelty items now, and anyone that would like to argue with me on that opinion, well, bring it on. I do know people personally that drive their 80's Porsches daily, and they do have problems. Fortunately they are willing to deal with the fact that it is a 20+ year old car that will break down more often and require expensive parts.

So, in the end, deal with it, whiner. If you stuck 9,000 dollars into your car and it still doesn't run right I feel sorry for you. If I had 9 grand to dump into my 944 Turbo it would be reliable and fast, because I am an enthusiast who owns an enthusiast's car--meaning I kind of have to know what is . up with the weak points of the vehicle. Compared to modern cars these cars arn't even that complicated (your car is misfiring...I could name off all the possible causes right here, and I don't even need to get up from the computer)! I could have the entire engine out in one day if I really had the incentive, and trust me, I'd certainly find out what your problem was if I went that far.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys, easy on the criticisms because all of us have been frustrated at one time or another. As for expensive parts and labor, obviously you guys have not owned a newer Japanese car. Honda dealers charge $100/hr for their mechanic's labor around here so its not too far off Porsche dealer's prices. It cost me more to buy a toyota timing belt than a 944 and if you have to buy anything like a computer, flowmeter, or seats ($4k each for a honda seat from the factory), you will find the 944 parts are often cheaper. The frequency of need for repairs/maintenance is higher for the 944 because it IS older just like my 81 accord needing everything from power steering rack to transmissions (on its 3rd) or the ever warping brake rotors for EVERY Hondas I have ever owned (over 10 including Acuras). I have never warped rotors in any German car.

Peace
Old 01-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Boat: a hole in the water you pour money into.
Porsche: a dent in the seat I pour my butt into.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:48 AM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually I'm quite the boater untill about 2 years ago.
Grew up with a 78 Mastercraft
Then an 1989 Arriva
Then an 1993 Fountain Fever 27
2ft idis to a an upgrade of 1998 Fountain Fever 29
Then Divorce ='s No boat now!
I'll never get another divorce, not because I love my wife so much, but I love my boat! LOL

Sent the 944 two blocks up the road for a diagnostic. To a friends garage with more knowledge. He's a mech. for a VW dealership....
He said give him a few days and he'll let me know!

Quick Reply: The 944's a Dead Horse!