Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning out 944 suspension upgrades, comments?

Old 12-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one gripe about the Blistiens and that is, Shock damping is a dynamic measurement. It changes with both piston velocity and displacement. Something that would be seen on a car when going straight on a smooth road is extremely low piston velocities. The Bilstein high pressure monotubes have significantly higher compression damping at extremely low piston velocities just due to the high amount of air pressure. However as the piston velocities increase the amount of damping changes to the favor of the konis. If you could plot a graph of this, the Bilstein's compression damping would be much higher than the Konis at extremely low piston velocities, but would tend to converge as piston velocity increased and actually change to higher for the konis. This is the reason many people often talk about how much better the turn in is with the blisten shocks and that is because that initial high compression damping.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:09 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, here's an idea. Gonna take a little of that thare SCIENTIFICKY stuff...

AYNTHING is gonna be an improvement over stock NA suspension. Dude, go with the used sways and the cheaper shocks (the hacksaw Koni's) and put some cash towards M030 brakes. THAT will get you to Turbo S spec (or at least the spec of my bud's S). Three to four AutoX's a year is not 10% of your driving (you said 90% street use); it's more like 1%. Beefed up Cup Car spec suspension is cool; if that's what you want (Lord knows I would!), but it's a WEE bit of overkill. Also didn't see any balljoint kits on your list. With all this talk of raising and lowering, shouldn't that be a concern?
Old 12-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joseph... I'm just glad I can make SOMEONE laugh....

Fishey- interesting take- I'm not sure exactly what this means- what DOES it mean? I mean... in regards to everyday street driving in slightly more real world terms, I mean....? I'm serisouly considering just sending my Koni's to PAragon & having them rebuilt & made DBL adj... again, mine is a STREET car & I'm just going by Danno & Cervelli (& tony G's) advice- Danno had always said a high-pressure mono-tube gas shock would work best over bumps & inconsistencies & have better ride quality, etc, as long as spring rates were matched correctly... Any input? I AM hoping to take my own advice though & drive a few cars w/several dif set-ups before I make my final decision- even if I have to take a FEW roads trips...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Planning out 944 suspension upgrades, comments?