Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 951 VS Late 951

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:37 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Anstett
Yeah, you're right about the calipers, my bad. The rotors, at least, are completely unique (I believe they had to be changed in 87 to accommodate the ABS components). Try finding rotors for an 86 Turbo sometime, it's not fun!

Bingo, the rotors are what is unique to that year of 951, not the calipers. The hats are different for the rears, and the fronts are part of that wierd hub configuration like the early offset n/a cars.

However, I've never had any issues finding them, Paragon usually has them in-stock and ready to ship. Props to Paragon!
Old 12-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Joe Anstett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby
Joe- subframe connectors? What is this- how do they connect, etc....? Could such a thing be done to a 951?
On unibody cars the front and rear are not tied together , there really is no frame rail, they rely on the stamped sheetmetal to hold the car together. You can weld or bolt on subframe connectors to tie together the front and rear subframes, stiffening up the car.

I noticed a lot of difference on the TA, but it's such a lengthy car that may have contributed to the flex without them. They add some weight but they are well worth the penalty.

I presume one could do this with the 924/944/968 but I haven't seen much if any mention in P-car circles, so I wonder if there's something I don't know about.

To those driving cabs who don't know what to look for, one of the telltale signs of body flex is "cowel shake" where you can see the a-pillar and cowel of the hood shimmy when you go over railroad tracks or while in extreme turns.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:59 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe- very interesting.. thanks for the input... I'd like to see if something could be done here, BUT, would want to see it on someone elses's car first... Would want to see how much it really helped, etc... do you know what they do for cars like the E36M3 & later? I've always understood this to be one of the best chassis ever made, up till it's time anyway.... was it considered a full unibody (I thought almost all street cars were uni's....)? Just wondering....

Thanks
Old 12-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Anstett
On unibody cars the front and rear are not tied together , there really is no frame rail, they rely on the stamped sheetmetal to hold the car together. You can weld or bolt on subframe connectors to tie together the front and rear subframes, stiffening up the car.

I noticed a lot of difference on the TA, but it's such a lengthy car that may have contributed to the flex without them. They add some weight but they are well worth the penalty.

I presume one could do this with the 924/944/968 but I haven't seen much if any mention in P-car circles, so I wonder if there's something I don't know about.

To those driving cabs who don't know what to look for, one of the telltale signs of body flex is "cowel shake" where you can see the a-pillar and cowel of the hood shimmy when you go over railroad tracks or while in extreme turns.

There is no shake on my cab... Now my fathers 993 thats a diffrent story (and yes I know what I am looking for)
Old 12-30-2004, 05:02 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fishey- that is very ineteresting that the 993 seems to have more flex, etc, than the 944- the 993 was supposed to be their best chassis ever, at that point- it's not supposed to compare to the 996, however, which, of course, is also a full league below the 997, as well- a friend bought a 997 about two months ago- I just saw it for the first time last week- didn't have time to ride in it, but, it was a NICE car- if they would just get rid of all the BS airbags & electronic stuff, add forced induction, & I would think of it as the ultimate Porsche. Again, I have to wonder how much dif these newer chassis' make when compared to mid 90's, etc... Somewhere in there there just HAS to be a line where the law of diminishing returns starts..... Anyway, I wonder what the prob is(?)- have you ever driven any other 993 style coupes? How do they compare to the convertible IYO? What about in comparison to the 944 coupes? This really surprises me... Would love to know more.... I'm almost wondering if there is something wrong w/your dad's(?)- have you ever heard this from other 993 cab owners?
Old 12-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby
I'm almost wondering if there is something wrong w/your dad's(?)- have you ever heard this from other 993 cab owners?
Not sure it's specific to his father's car when Porsche just announced that it is recalling 18,165 Porsche 993 Cabs for a safety issue that involves the top popping open while the car is in motion. There's got to be something causing that.

Never heard of this happen with the 944 cabs, though. And they're older cars, too.

Sorry, but I can't find the article in English. It basically says that Porsche AG attributes the problem to the electrical top mechanism and recalls all 18,165 Porsche 993 Cabs built between August 11, 1993 and January 26, 1998, including 8,952 cars sold in the United States.

Fishey, do the 993 Cabs have manually locking tops like the 944 Cabs do?

993 Cabrio Recall by Porsche AG
Old 12-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Not sure it's specific to his father's car when Porsche just announced that it is recalling 18,165 Porsche 993 Cabs for a safety issue that involves the top popping open while the car is in motion. There's got to be something causing that.
[/b][/url]
When you say "recall" I assume you mean the cars are to be brought into the dealer & fixed, then, sent back home w/the customer....? That's a lot of cars though, although, from what you're saying, it sounds like it's the top not latching correctly, or, something- sure, body flex can exxagerate this prob.... I'd be interested in knowing how this pans out- If it IS a prob w/body flex, then, I would say they would have to do something to tie the chassis together better- this could get expensive for Porsche... I was not aware of this at all... when did this recall get started?

Quick Reply: Early 951 VS Late 951