Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DME Testing

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DME Testing

Is it possible for the dealer to bench test the DME? I'm kind of stuck in trying to get my car to start again, I don't have a scope so I can't tell the output of the sensors (which are new). And I don't have access to a good DME to swap in and see what happens.

There's got to be some way the dealer tests these - surely they don't have a bunch lying around to swap in when they think something is wrong with that part.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

not that i'm aware of. The technology for the DME's (Ours at least) and the testing apparatus was over by 1995. Very rare to have one. Better of to just resolder everything in the DME- the heat cycles cause the cold solders often present..
Old 12-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

I just called the dealership and Auto Zone - nobody can test the thing. Resoldering my DME hasn't been easy. The solder they used melts just a little hotter than the normal stuff so it's slow going. And the two screws that hold the bottom plate on and screw into the rear of the black harness just spin in their holes. I had to drill the heads off just to get that plate off, and I'm still trying to remove the rest of the screw from the connector so I can have a look at the inside of the DME.

The gameplan is to follow pins 25 and 26 since they're coming from the reference sensor and resolder whatever they go. I'm not sure which pins are the output to the tach and ignition or I'd trace backwards from there too. Anybody with a wiring diagram know what those are for the late N/A DME?
Old 12-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I believe they can be tested using the "Bosch Hammer." Floyd Wilk (a.k.a FR Wilk) is the only person I know that has one. Maybe shoot him an email and see if he'll test it for you...

www.frwilk.com/944dme/
Old 12-22-2004, 11:43 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

I might try that after New Year's. As of now I've resoldered every spot on the DME that had a component installed and the car still won't start. The tach needle will move *once* when I first turn the key but no more. Has anybody experienced this?

Quick Reply: DME Testing